3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats wrong with Ragim bows?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats wrong with Ragim bows?
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
I saw a couple of nice looking Ragim bows at the local archery shop. One was the Wolf longbow and the other was the Black Bear recurve. I was struck by how nice they looked and was really surprised by how inexpensive (cheap) they were.
How come nobody is using them. I don't see any for sale in the classifieds.I don't even see anybody discussing them.They aren't even on that auction site. Are they new models? Anybody ever shot one? What is the overall impression of Ragim one piece bows? They seem to make quality youth take downs.Thanks for your opinions.
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats wrong with Ragim bows?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
I owned one for a while, they are great entry level bows that can give years of service.  The one I had been reworked, the finish was redone, and the guy worked the grip down into a longbow grip, it was a recurve.  

The only complainant I have ever heard was that the finish is not what it could be. Funny, if it were you would be paying a heck of a lot more for the bows.  Some have complained about the string nocks being sharp and needing some additional sanding, other than that the people who own them like them.

Mine was a silent stable shooter, it was not a speed demon, but that is the least important factor in a stickbow as far as I am concerned. When stickbows start shooting at the speed of sound, then I will change my mind....LOL  

If you are thinking about getting one I think you might be suprised.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
Thanks Scott
I really appreciate you taking te time to post your opinion.
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Just buy it already.....lol.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
I got one for my son two years ago.  Cheap bow for them to bang around.  Not bad bows but the lack the fit and finish of most.  I filed the string nock out, reshaped the shelf and refinished the riser.  If you get one, don't be afraid to take a file or a rasp to it. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Theyre a good bow for do it yourself customization.Very good for the price.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
I am shooting a three piece takedown, the impala, until my sovereign balistik comes this fall.  Biggest complaint is that it is sharp around the nock and the sides of the limbs are rough and have caused several strings to blow out.  But it does make a good starter bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
I and a buddy have identical Internature T/D 60# at 28". These bows look good, shoot fast, smooth and quiet, have shot them for 2 years hard, no troubles at all! This is not a ragim, but imported by AIM, aboout the same thing, goes for around $150.0 on TradTech.com. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.
samuel koger

Offline JiminTexas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
I also have an Internature take down 45# @ 28". I had to do a little "adusting" on it (the upper limb was marked with the draw/amo/draw weight etc. so I moved it)but other than that, the bow works great. I use it three or four times a week in the back yard to work on my form.
The biggest problem that I have found with them is that they don't oost enough to get most of the shooters today to take them seriously. A lot of shooters today seem to think that you can buy accuracy and that if it is pretty and expensive it just has to improve your shooting.
Younger money, faster whiskey, older women and more horses.....or something like that..

Offline joseph_valencia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
I have an Internature Viper long bow thats 50 @ 28. Im very happy with it. And so far have not had any problems with it. I know two others that have Ragims and are very happy with them.
joseph

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
Do Not confuse Internature and Ragims. Both are imported by AIM.  Internature's are made in Korea.  Ragims Italy.  Here is the link to Ragim.

http://www.ragim.org/ragim.asp

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
Hey all,

Ok,  The can has been opened,  Which are better?  Ragim or Internature?

Brian G
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
I have an OMP (Internature) 62" recurve that has very good fit and finish. Seems to be tillered well.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
The Ragims we handed out to the kids seemed nice for the price.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Indie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
I had a Tamars Recurve (made by Ragim) and the upper limb exploded just as I was doing some warming up shoots at the beginning of a 3D tournament.
It was a 60" bow which I shot with a 31,5" draw.
At least there was no problem with the guarantee.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I've used a number of Ragim bows for the Boy Scouts and they hold up well to constant use by folks who are still learning.  Bought one for my wife.  They are not $600 dollar custom bows.  They don't pretend to be.  I like them.

Ron

Offline Wal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
Dragging this old one out of the archives.

My young fella is looking at a longbow to goof around with over the summer holidays (commited compond shooter). He has narrowed it down to three bows available here in OZ at reasonable dollars.

Bear montana
Internature/Cartel Viper
Ragim Custom Wolf

Does anyone have any opinions/ratings of these bows?  He understands that they are not high class/greade bows, but he isn't looking to spend the big bucks either. Maybe the bug will bite  :D    :D  when he gets a good taste of the fun

Cheers

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
imho, and without a question of doubt, as i have owned and used all three of the bows you've listed in holding weights from 45-52#, there is no contest - the bear montana is head and shoulder's above the other two.  it has a better build quality, and the limb design is smoother on the draw and release while yielding better arrow performance.  this is not to say those other longbows are "bad", they're just not as equally "good" ... IN MY HUMBLE OPINION and ymmv!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
I bought my oldest son (12) a Ragim Matrix Jr last summer.   It's not a "bad bow" for the money as it comes, but we like a lot of the others here modified it by stripping the riser, rounded the shelf, and refinished it to his liking.   As others pointed out, do not be afraid to cosmetically modify these bows... It was a good learning experience shared by father and son that yielded good "custom" results!   By the way, does anyone have a recommendation for the brace height on this bow?   The Ragim website posted above does not list a brace height for this particular bow...
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©