3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pheasants/ IT CAN BE DONE!!!  (Read 558 times)

Offline Fred II

• Trad Bowhunter
Pheasants/ IT CAN BE DONE!!!
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
WHAT A BLAST!!!!  Has anyone here ever gone pheasant hunting with a bow!?!?  If you haven't man do you have to give it a try!

Well yesterday my father and I and one of his buddies went on out to try our luck at some pheasants and chuckers I think their called.  My dads friend Bob had two dogs and were unbelievable pointers.  They were finding birds left and right and all over for the most part, excellent dogs.  We started at about 8:30 am and went until 7:00 pm and only stopped for an hour for lunch.  What a blast we had.  I ended up whacking a hen pheasant and a chucker! Not so bad for someone who just started with the longbow about a few months ago.  My dad glanced right off one and came extremely extremely close to a quail! When I say close I mean he probably hit it with the feathers of the arrow!  I am going to try and post some pictures on here a little later but I have to figure out this photobucket thing.  Anyone here in  New Jersey has to go down and try this out at Giberson Pheasant Farm!!!
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have live before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pheasants/ IT CAN BE DONE!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun. How many shots did you have? And what type of arrow tips?

Looking forward to do it someday.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
Bobco We were using wood arrows with 3 different type broadheads , some bear razorheads ,some ma3's and some unknown head that I had for awhile . Any old heads seem to work fine if you hit them . I was shooting a Quillon Longhunter 66# and my son was shooting my John Shulz longbow @ 61# . He is fast becoming a deadly shot . We had shots at 9 pheasant some of which were into the woods and another 8 shots at chuckers and 3 or 4 shots at quail . Oddly enough we came closer to hitting most of the chuckers than we did with the pheasant and even came closer yet to the quail . High adventure .I hope my son figures this photobucket out so he can post pics . Gotta get back to work , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Sounds like fun.  Always wanted to do that.  I missed a couple of ducks "on the wing" this year while jumping ponds, but never connected w/ anything in the air.

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Sounds like a fun day out.  I have been out once for quail and have to agree some of the most fun I've had.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Been thinking about doing this. Looks like a lot of fun.
But: Aren't there concerns with the dogs tangling with a broadhead ?
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
kool.... that's great...

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
with hitting moving targets in mind, I had the opportunity to watch Kassai Lajos on the History Channel last night.  Kassai is a bowyer from Hungary, as well as a renowned horse archer.  It was amazing to watch him guide his horse at a measured 22mph, launch 6 arrows in 10 seconds (and HIT each time), target disks thrown into the air!!  if we could do that, no one would need a scattergun! he also makes wonderful bows!

With a lot of practice, I'll be giving this a try next season myself.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
I have to do this one day......its so cool..mc  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
I used unsharpened nubbed off MA 3's. They were ground down to about 3/8" across the business end.

Only the nubbed end was sharpened. They did the job very nicely.  

Dogs that won't pick up until told to are also a big help.   :thumbsup:  

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
Fred get that photobucket figured out it's easy to do. I'd love to go some time. If you guys plan anothe hunt post it in the n.j. forum if you'd like company I'd love love to go. Jason "Skippy"
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm Fred's dad , we had a great time ! No problem with the dogs as the birds we hit went right through . With flu-flus and orange and white fletching we didn't loose an arrow . Just like gun hunting when a bird is flushed you don't know where it's going . If he cuts back or flies too low you pass on the shot . After spending most of my time stalking or tree stand sitting , both of which require slow movements and long hours sitting still , this was a fun hunt as you just walk around ,  watch the dogs , tell war stories , and shoot at birds . My Son put me to shame as he broke the wing of a nice pheasant and later shot a chucker in the back of the head dropping it like Curt Gowdy on the "American Sportsman " used to with his smoke pole . I went without any idea that we would hit anything . The misses were so close it was worth going just for that . We did manage to hit 3 birds and when we dressed them out last night another pheasant had a 3" slit up his breast which one of us must have hit . We had a buddy backing us up with a gun and when the birds showed no signs of being hit he would dump them . If our arrows had a pattern the size of a shotgun we wouldn't have missed a bird.It was more fun than the law allows , I encourage everyone to try it . No pressure if you miss and fantastic when you hit . My son is home working on the pics , hopefully he gets them up tonight , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Fred II

• Trad Bowhunter
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have live before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life.

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
here you go

Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
fred GREAT job!!!

we will get together next year and get a trad hunt we will work over my pup...I send him away for 3 months next week to get trained properly and ill be working him all off season.  hes got desire and want to fidn me birds ya'll will love it.

I also have a few spots we can walk/jump some ducks come season as well...pretty close to my house only 30 minutes and it looks like its some great swampy land only roughly knee high through and through so with a pair of waders we can get all the birds.

Offline Fred II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
Deadbolt,

That sounds like a solid plan! I've always wanted to get a good hunting dog but never have the time to really train and be with them constantly.  Im married and have two kids so I kind of have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to it..lol.  

IMSKIPPY

How did you post those pictures right on the page? I only could get it the way I did it???

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Nice shooting!  Just a friendly reminder that if you are headed to the PBS Gathering in Pittsburgh next week, I think there is still time to try flinging some arrows at pheasants at one of several nearby shooting preserves.  Check the latest PBS magazine for details or PM me.  Several groups are booked already for Thursday and Friday 1/2 day sessions and it should be a blast!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
WOW!
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks Imskippy for helping with the pics , Jeff too many things going on right now so probably won't make the PBS gathering . A little too far for 1 day and really can't stay over now . You can tell how much fun we had by the look on Fred's face with his birds . I enjoyed that more than if I had shot them myself . I think . (Just kidding )  Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
I have always thought hunting Pheasants would be a hoot. Looks and sounds as though you all had a terrific time. Would surely like to try it myself sometime.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©