3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moving to Darby  (Read 2226 times)

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moving to Darby
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
Took awhile but got the call this morning. Landed a job in the Bitteroot Valley. Have bowhunted the Bighole the last 3 years and fell in love with this part of the state. It is the only part of the state that I really never hunted, not even once growing up. Have lived in and hunted the state fron Kalispell to Glendive and many places in between. Looking forward to discovering new places to hunt and fish. I think I am falling in love with my roots all over again!  :D
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving to Darby
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Gongrats yo lucky dog!

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 02:35:00 AM »
Thanks Roger! It's not going to be just a job! It will be an adventure for sure!  :)
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 04:09:00 AM »
I'm from the Bitterroot and wanted to say congratulations.  Darby is a nice little town.  There is a guy named Chris Tombee that teaches down there.  If you run into him, tell him hi from Chuck Hanson.  Darby is a great place.  There's some good elk and deer hunting around there.  Best of luck.
Chuck

Offline arraflipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
I have been in Darby a few times and everytime I thought I could live there.  Used to have a cousin that lived north of Salmon, lots of game all around your area.

Consider yourself lucky, and likely to have a lot of new friends.
Arraflipper
Jim Fisk Bowyer
"Life is to short to shoot an ugly bow!"

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
Beware the Darbarians!  LOL....that's just a little pet name for our neighbors in the "rugged end" of the root....you'll quickly find lots of good spots to hunt...but beware all the 4 plates (hehe...mine, too)...and you are plenty close to the Big Hole to hunt there as well.  

Darby is one of those little spots that, if I could make a semblance of a living there, it'd be home...but alas, there are few survivable jobs in our nicer small towns here in Montana (well, ok...anywhere in Montana...as you know).  

I'm going out on a limb here and gonna ask is it a FS job?

-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
Private employment. I have been a carpenter all my life and have been selfemployed here in the Mission Valley for the last 5 years. Wife wants a steady paycheck and not a chunk at a time soooooo . It will be taking care of a Lodge and B&B.. Owners seemed very nice when my wife and I went for the interview. Was expecting them to be different but dressed and talked the same as us(don't know if that is good though   :rolleyes: )
The guy I bowhunt with hunts the bighole and used to guide over there. Knows about every sq inch. Also looking forward to a little more SUN than we get here. I grew up in Great Falls and am used to the sun in the winter. Almost 3 straight weeks of fog/rain and snow now. We see the sun about 6 times from Nov. to March!
 I thought it was strange as he said NO HUNTING the property(26acres). Said there is NF land right against the lodges and I am welcome to go up the 400yds away from the lodge and hunt. He said the last caretaker shot a deer right next to one of the hot tubs. I thought to myself why would ANYONE want to hunt on this beautiful lodge property? You can't walk 400yds to hunt? That much disrespect just doesn't compute in my brain! I guess he also popped some turkeys they had been feeding with a shotgun. He found the hulls and wads below one of the cabins. MAN What an arse! Anyway I am looking forward to the new job.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Darby is really a neat little town! Kind of a postcard town ( would make a neat postcard- if you remember what those were  :)   )
 I am just over the hill from you in Iderhoe.
There are a lot of trad groups in your reach in that area too.
 There are Darbinyites that are starting to head this way for steelhead already  :)

:campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
I'm the other way from Missoula, in Seeley Lake. Talk to Will at MasterTech 406.327.0014. He's one of a bunch of bowhunters in the Bitterroot Valley -- Missoula/Darby/Stevensville/Hamilton.

Enjoy.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
Congrads on the new job.  Darby is great as you already know. I'm also one of those nuts with a 4 on my plate trying to run you darn Bitterooters over  ;) .
Andrew

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Wapiti,
Very cool opportunity....good for you.  Sounds like a great setup.

Andrew,
Sorry bout not calling yet...been super tied up...thought I might see you before league last night but I had to go before it started.

-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
9MA you have it wrong! Come up to the south end of the Flathead and see who is trying to run over who! Traffic may be fast from Missoula and south but they aren't as crazy as Missoula and north and that I give you my word.The scary part is studies show less than a 3rd of the drivers here are insured and we have a VERY high incidence of DUI. In the last year alone we have had 3 tragic accidents on 93 right hear as it goes through Pablo.
 Sorry I just can't help but look at the positives of the Darby area.  :D   Yah ,I know the honeymoon will end quick and the work begins but at least I ain't on a roof trying to fix a leak in the rain that some fly by niter carpenter didn't do right and then left town! Or finish an addition in the dead of winter that a contractor left because he decided to sell the business. Yes true crap!
  The great creator has been slapping me all winter for making a "less" informed decision by moving here on word of mouth 5 years ago. We did a little research and found the Bitteroot may be more to our liking and I think God may have just winked at us.
  One of the great things I will miss is my quite often visits to Dan Toelke! He has been one good friend and a great bowyer who freely shares his knowledge and helping me learn about notonly how a good bow is built but the tricks of shooting a stick well. Whne I have a problem he has always had a way to get over it fairly fast and get back on track. I still plan on coming up once in awhile as a day off here and there to shoot with him and his sons.

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
that sound great.i lived in hamilton for a short while and work in darby at timber line log homes.i loved the area and the town.seen lots of white tails and mulies.COMO LAKE is one of my specail places.my wife wants to move back to hamilton really bad but there is not alot of work there.so,in june we planning to move to kalispell.if she reads this she will be pulling at my leg to move to hamilton.good luck on your move.john

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
hey wapiti,i was just wondering if you know how many white tails a person could shoot in that area.thanks john

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"hey wapiti,i was just wondering if you know how many white tails a person could shoot in that area.thanks john"

I don't know a thing about the area as far as hunting goes. Everyone says there are plenty of whitetail to go around and that hiway 93 can be downright treacherous to drive at nite because of them. I do plan on finding out though.   :D

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
hey thats o.k...when i would drive from hamilton to darby to work there would be new road kill every other day.and thats a short drive.john

Offline Mason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Use to see some good bulls in the Pintlers.
PM me for some drainages if ya want.

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Well, what do you know...I'm even worse than a Darbarian...I'm a West Forker...about 40 minutes out of Darby if the roads are good.  I'm in town a couple times I week and if I'm not running up to Hamilton for something, I usually pack at least one bow to do a little stumpin'

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Well I hope to get a tarhet set up behind the cabin after we get moved,sewttled and the job under control. You'll have to stop in and fling a coupleo f errors uh I mean arrows. Well not really I do shoot a lot of errors.   :D

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
I think I need to hit the hay early tonite. Looked at my post and  :scared:  did I really type that! NOTE: engage brain before moving fingers.  :rolleyes:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©