3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Morrison Custom Bows  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Yazoo Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Morrison Custom Bows
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Who knows anything about Bob Morrison bows?  I hear that he makes A+ quality bows and are considered elite.  Yes?  I am looking at his custom bows (there are about 6 types) but to be honest, I cannot seem to tell any difference in the bows other than name.  How does one go about choosing the right custom bow by Morrison if none of the bows give any specs and differentials from one bow costing $1,000 to another costing $700?  Is the most expensive really worth the extra green or should one go with a lesser costing bow by Bob?  What's y'alls inputs on his bows?  Which ones do y'all own, have tried, etc?  Reviews/Thoughts?
To become a professor, one must start as a grasshopper.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Morrison Custom Bows
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
The best advice I can give you is to talk to Bob. I understand your confusion about the offerings onsite, but talking to Bob about what you want in a bow will allow him to guide you to the one that will suit you best.

They are expensive.
Go to some trad shoots this spring and summer, and look for Morrison bows to try out, preferably with the style grip you prefer. You may not like them. If you are a lucky soul, you will like something that costs considerably less!  :D  

I like them. Dammit.
I don't know how many bows you have shot, but it may take a heap of trying all different kinds before you find one that justifies that kind of investment. Took me nearly forty years.
Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
I agree with Killie. If it doesn't suit you it isn't worth any amount of money...if it is the righteous shooting bow of your dreams it is! I was cursed with loving them too. But everytime I pull it out and feel that grip and shoot an arrow it is all worthwhile!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Bob's bows are certainly at the top of the class, no doubt about that.  The biggest difference in the prices is going to be in the woods and options that are on a particular bow.  Bob makes some of the nicest looking bows anywhere, but he also makes some more basic models.  If looks are important, things like limb veneers, two tone risers, stripes, checkered grips, snakeskins, take down models, etc, etc. all add to the cost.

Will the $1,000 bow shoot any different than the $700 bow?  Other than differences in the limb core materials, I don't think you could tell the difference in how a basic bow shoots versus a really fancy one.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
Call Bob and talk with him about what you are looking for. Then see if he has a bow or bows in your draw lenght and weight that you can test drive. This is one sure way of knowing you are getting a bow you will enjoy.

Also I recommend getting the half or full pinecones. It costs a little extra but well worth it IMHO.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Yaz,

It won't matter which one you order. If you buy the fanciest one first you'll want a plane one for draggin through the mud. If you buy the plane one first you'll eventually want the snake skins and fancy stuff. Nobody does snake skins like Bob. Best part about it is one can never have enough Morrison's and once you have shot one and dealt with Bob you will know what we mean. They all shoot extremely well and you won't find a better guy than Bob to deal with. So just dial 1-740-587-0368 and gettr done!
hunt it

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
I am anxiously awaiting a set of Cheyenne limbs for a riser I picked up myself. Won't be able to shoot them for at least a month but I can stare and dream. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
I shot one this past weekend and its the first time in over thirty years that I felt I really wanted to buy something other than the old Bear TDs and Super Ks I've always shot.The bows look great, feel great, and shoot hard, IMO. Looks like I have one in my future if I can get Bob to accomodate a couple little quirks in my shooting setup that I'm too old to change.         Grant

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Great bows you can't go wrong with a Morrison!

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
Great Bows! I have owned several of Bob's Bows and only have great things to say about his bows and Bob.  Yes, they are pricey but they are great performers, smooth, fast, easy to shoot , and very well made.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
Have never owned a Morrison or for that matter shot one, but have seen a few. Terry Green owns a Cheyanne recurve with an "A" riser and "C" limbs. It is one of the best looking recurves I've ever seen. He gave me a chance to shoot it on the Solana hunt, which I politely refused. I'm not as dumb as I look. If I had shot the darn thing I would have had to order one immediately and I've decided to stick with my Massie long bows and use my expendable cash to buy hunts, not bows. As for Bob's bows being expensive, you get what you pay for and they seem to hold their value fairly well. I have to agree with KillDeer, shoot as many bows as you can to determine exactly what you want, then call Bob. His bows are great, but his customer service is second to none. Good luck.    :thumbsup:

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
His least expensive recurve (Cheyenne model) is, by my figuring, at least $900, and that would be about as plain as a bow can be.  If you are going to get one, go for it and get the works!  He makes eye-candy that stacks up to anyone's, so might as well drop a few extra hundred and get a nice one.  Snakeskins would be a must for me if I got one of his bows, as he does the best skins I've seen.  I would definitely shoot a few if I could before plunking down that kind of cash.  As with any bow, you may like it, and you may not, but he does make nice bows that perform with any bows out there.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
Bob is one of the most innovative bowyers out there. The old adage you get what you pay for rings true for Bob's bows. I have been lucky to get one his new shawnee dakota longbows with the new carbon/foam limb. It is a 45 bow, 60 inch longbow which at my 27 inch draw length shoots right up there with any 50 lb plus bow. What is particluarly unique with this new limb material combination is the stablitiy and unique smoothness of this limb design. I have owned dakotas, cougars, earlier recurves, cheyennes to name a few. It is one of the best shooting and most accurate shooting bows that Bob has produced to date. I am afraid to shoot a cheyenne with this limb combination or an ILF. Expensive yes, worth every penny...without a doubt.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Abel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
The best of the best. I have a Cheyenne that is almost too pretty to hunt with.....almost. Smoothest drawing, fast, quiet, good looking, you really get what you pay for. If I could do it over, I'd go with  
Bob's base model so I wouldn't feel guilty about the little dings that I know she's gonna have soon. I'm not gonna baby her though. If the snakeskins fall off or fade, oh well. I know folks who've had snakeskins on their limbs for goin' on ten years, huntin' in the rain and all, so I'm not gonna sweat it. Good luck pickin' one out.
"A bow in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
I really like the looks of the new foam core Cheyenne limbs with a Heritage walnut dymonwood riser.  Should be a quiet and rugged hunting bow that you aren't scared to get all dinged up...Mike

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Somebuddy say something nasty just to keep the prices in line! We all keep talking like this Bob's gonna up the rates.  :biglaugh:  

I've just ordered another one. Bob if your reading this package coming soon, I was trying to get south of border last week to ship it but that didn't work.
hunt it

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I have a Cheyene that I will never get rid of and have had three Shawnee's with dakota limbs. Love them all, but like the short Cheyene best. you can not go wrong with one of Bob's bows.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
I sold my fancy Shawnee Dakota limbs cause Bob's new foam core limbs are the smooothest limbs I've ever shot on a 3 piece bow!  I don't need pretty anymore!  Well maybe some skins on black limbs is better camo...that's just practical not fancy  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
I sold my fancy Shawnee Dakota limbs cause Bob's new foam core limbs are the smooothest limbs I've ever shot on a 3 piece bow!  I don't need pretty anymore!  Well maybe some skins on black limbs is better camo...that's just practical not fancy   :)    Doc
Tippit hit it! But I'm not even gonna put skins on mine cause it shoots so well I wouldn't change a thing. Ask me 6 months ago and there were no other bows other than a Morrison Cheynne. I had a Shawnee but just never clicked with me....Bob convinced me to try the new foam/carbon Dakota limbs before I sold it and voila! All the cheyennes are for sale. Just got my heavier set of Dakotas today...ready for thick critters now. My son's Shawnee foam/carbon dakota should be here next week...my new riser in a few months (after the wood is dry).

And Tippit, I see you qualified it as "on a 3pc bow"....you know Bob is now doing the foam on his 1pc don't you?   :saywhat:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©