3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever use a "gobbler guillitine" ??  (Read 1373 times)

Offline redeemed

• Trad Bowhunter
ever use a "gobbler guillitine" ??
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
so whats your turkey huntin set-up? bow #, arrow,  blind, and of course favorite killin head?
do you wait after the shot,or go get 'em right away?
JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW!!!!

To God be the glory, great things He has done!!!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever use a "gobbler guillitine" ??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Nope to the first question. My set-up is a Jack Kempf Kwyk Styk 63#s at 28"s and a string tracker and a carbonwood 4000 with a big old snuffer on the business end. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
the guillotine is very fragile, a one shot BH for sure.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
De-javu

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
I use them and like them alot. Almost completely  stops wounding of birds.

You can make a pretty easy and durable target to practice with them and get a lot of shots out of one set of blades. Here is what I do.

Take two cloth sacks (country folks call um croker sacks) Tie them together and hang them from something. Take one of your guillotines and get some drinking staws..save the thin they send then to you with...wrap the blades with tape so they aren't sharp. Put the thicker drinking straw on the blades. Back up and shot the hanging sacks. They will give and "catch" the arrows and you can get a bunch of shots out of one set of blades. I do have to replace the straws BUT you can shot them enough to get your confidence in the fact that they will fly good for you.

"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Keith... I just got a new "Matrix" Double Bull blind (got dang tired of doing contortions to shoot out of my cheaper "Ameristep" blind or buy a bow that works out of it) and have been watching the video that came with it.

They kill quite a few birds with the Ghillotine and it's made me quite curious.

Like every other bowhunter out there, wounding loss is hard for me to take and this head makes sense.

Did you find there were any flight issues when replacing your normal broadhead with the "Chopper"?

They are a bit pricey, but I guess I'll spend the extra cash if it ensures a kill and not a loss.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Charlie.....WOW do I feel humbled....You asking me???  :thumbsup:

Keith Bruner

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
OH! I meant to tel ya..I have been shootin more feather with these...I usually shoot 5.5" nanners instead of 5' shields.

I would go ahead and order an extra set of blades. I had to build a quiver out of wood to tote the things in. That is one of the biggest problems.

Keith Bruner

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
So do the blades cut through the straws on impact?

My arrows are tuned to my bows just great, but I have a few with bigger fletch that I could use.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline coyote Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »
no  those straws are deadly,  the turkey takes them off the blades right before impact......lol

sorry I couldn't resist

Offline DAS Kinetic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 01:21:00 AM »
Has anyone used these heads for flight shooting pheasant and other birds?  Do you think they would work?  Seems like a good point for that.

David

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 01:52:00 AM »
arent they as wide as the kondors???
cuz my kondors fly perfectly.
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 06:07:00 AM »
Keith, That's a cool pic bud!!

Those heads are wicked!!!  I've been watching those boys from DB kill turkeys with them for a few years now.The owners of DB... Keith Beam loves them(compound),but Brooks Johnson, a longbow shooter, doesn't use them....not sure why though.

I'm afraid I'd shoot thru my blind,and I'd hate carrying them.It would be better if they made them to collapse forward for carrying,then you could fold them open before use.

All that said.....they work great...just not for me.

Charlie,It's about time you got a "real blind",just don't let this one get blown away    ;)

My set up is a Kempf Kwyk Styk,63@28 1/2(my draw),160 Snuffers on Carbonwood 4000's with a steel adapter, and a string tracker..

Matrix blind,Stealth Archery bowholder,DB stool.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
I shot one outta my bow with 5" feathers and it hit real real low from 16-17yrds.The wheel shooter at the shop said he had to use his 40yrd pin @ 20yrds.Not sure if thats he norm but I didn,t wanna spend the time to find out myself.I did shoot some 2" expandables at an empty milk jug and was getting full width entry holes but have not shot a bird with one so I don,t know.I had them up front last season with a huntin partner toteing loud back up in case things didn,t work out.Entrance hole on the deer I shot with that head was large enuff to put my hand thru I'm pretty confident it'd work well on turkey's but like I said I did have back up.Snuffers have a pretty good proven tract record....good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
I am in the same way of thinking as Curt here. Although I very rarely hunt from a ground blind. I hunt big woods here in the Catskill Mountains. Not alot of open fields and very steep terrain, so carrying a blind is not that easy. Also the guillitine is also tuff to carry, with my run and gun style of turkey hunting. I use a good strong large cutting broadhead, only I like a two blade head, like magnus II's, heavy arrow and game tracker. Shoot them low in the body in the area of the hip joints you break the hip joint and still hit the vitals. The Guillitine looks like it would work great, I tryed carrying them once and it was very inconvient.So I stopped. Oh and I shoot 50@28.

Bryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©