3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where to get seasoned/dried riser blocks?  (Read 335 times)

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
where to get seasoned/dried riser blocks?
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Where do you guys get seasoned (kiln dried) riser blocks?  It seems that all the suppliers I run into have green exotic wood coated completely in wax.  I don't want to put these into a bow.  I'm afraid they will check in the hot box when the epoxy is curing.  The air in my northern MN shop is very dry in the winter and green wood checks almost overnight if exposed.

Chad

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where to get seasoned/dried riser blocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »
i've got mine through binghams and never had a trace of wax --maybe my choice of wood-i don't know
Mike

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Bought a chunk of Cocbolo from Fedora's Trad Supply store. Did not notice that one end was not seal in wax and after about two weeks it started to check very heavily. Sealed it now and it has stopped. Hope it is ready for use in a bow by June?

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
The wax does not necessarily mean the wood is green. Wood dries radially different than it does length wise. The wax keeps the ends from drying out faster and causing checks so that the wood will dry radially. The wax is put on as soon as possible to help control the drying rate from the end and to prevent checking.
  If you have a moisture meter or access to one you can use this to determine. All the good kiln dried exotics I have ever seen come treated on the ends. That isn't saying that it isn't green but if they are exotics, considering the distance they have to come, most of them are aged a bit. The wax is just good practice.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
I just picked up a paduak block at Woodcraft and it appears kiln dried and sealed on the ends just like the block of cocobolo I got from Jay at fedoras....
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
My Bocote from Woodcraft checked once I trimmed it to length I thought about pushing some smoothon into the cracks and applying a little side pressure with clamps.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
I was told buy an employee at Rockler that the turing sticks they had are sealed completely in wax to keep them from checking when they are shipped all around the country. Said they are "dry" and shouldn't be a problem. I guess the only way to know is to scrape all that wax off and check with a moisture meter (if I had one).

Offline tobildteleez

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
try cookwoods.com they sell musical instrument woods and should be no issues with their's if they are intended for delicate instruments. They have thick wood. also try paxton lumber in KC missouri. you will find it in google or yahoo search engines. FYI hope this helps you. David S.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©