3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: finger pinch!!!!!!  (Read 881 times)

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
finger pinch!!!!!!
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
I am having a terrible problem with finger pinch. I have shot three fingers under with my index finger in the corner of my mouth most of my life and have recently chaned to split finger with middle finger in the corner of my mouth.

I shot equally well both ways I believe but was told that I could learn to shoot better split finger.

My bows are 64" longbow's and I am not interrested in going any longer (I draw about 28.5"). I am however contemplating switching back to three under.

any ideas would be helpful, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: finger pinch!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
go back....why fix it if it isn't broken?
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
You must have huge fingers!   :eek:  It's kinda unusual to be getting finger pinch with that long a bow & that short a draw? I have fairly big hands & draw 30" & have no trouble on any of my bows from 64" down to 52"!  know that's no real help, but I'm wondering if there isn't something else causing a problem, rather than finger-pinch...
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
You don't have finger pinch... I do it every time I shoot to much... Your squeezing your fingers.try putting just a little bit more pressure on the pointer finger.

But like someone else said, why fix something that isn't broke.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
What's pinching?  Are you feeling more pressure on the top of the index finger or the bottom of the ring finger?  Since you're actually moving your hand up on the string going from three under to split finger, I'll assume it's the top finger, because the string angle on your ring finger would be less with split finger.  It may be a matter of just toughening up the finger a little through shooting.  It's just not used to feeling the string pressure there.

Most folks who shoot three under anchor much higher than you do/did -- high up on the side of their cheek and do what is called barrel sighting, i.e., looking down the arrow.  This works very well for close range shooting, but not very well for farther range shooting.  In this instance, moving to split finger usually involves the concommitant move to anchoring lower on the face near the corner of one's mouth.  This has the effect of lowering the "rear site" and contributing to longer range accuracy.

However, since you already held pretty low with your three under hold, there's probably not much to be gained by going to split fingers.

If your finger keeps hurting, and you don't see any improvement in your accuracy or shooting comfort, I agree with the others.  Don't change.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Which fingers are hurting?
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Man, never heard of anyone getting pinch from a bow that long and a draw that short.  Could be you are putting pressure on your fingers in an odd way because of the switch in shooting style.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
I will elaborate more. I switched to split finger about last July and didn't have any problem until I started upping the weight of my bows.
My lightest poundage bow is 77lbs and they go to 90lbs. It has been mentioned that I probably wouldn't have had any problems if I didn't shoot so much weight.
Well, Just as I won't change to a longer bow, I won't change to a lighter one either.
I didn't notice any problems with my 67#. I broke it however and saw  no need in going back to that weight.
As far as not shooting enough, and toughening up my fingers, what is enough?
I will shoot several hundred arrows at a time, most of the time when I shoot.
The problem is with my pointer finger. It stays bruised where it touches the nock (at the edge of my fingernail).
Thank you for your help, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
It is possible that your drawing elbow is a bit high, causing you to put excessive pressure downward on the top finger against the nock.  It's not finger pinch, per se, but your own personal shooting style that's causing you pain.  Might be that pulling that much weight caused you to enlist muscles other than your back muscles to pull it; you might have too much tension in the forearm, shoulder, and bicep muscles, causing your elbow to be high and thus pressing your index finger down on the nock.  This is just my best guess without seeing you shoot.  Good luck, hope everything clears up. Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Good advice from diamond paul.  Also, if you're using a brass nock, might consider switching to a wrapped thread knock.  If you haven't already tried one, try a heavy glove like an American Leathers Big Shot.  Frankly, at the weight you're pulling, I think you just have to expect some finger pain, particularly when you shoot a few hundred arrows at a time.  Good luck.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
perhaps a finger tab with a thicker finger spreader...
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Maybe "Big Jim" is just a scranny little guy! With little whimpey fingers!
John

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Not sure what finger pinch is but I've developed blisters and callous on my index finger shooting split.
I try to use a deep hook and the problem still remains.
I was studying the makeup of my hand today after excesive shooting and noticed something quite peculiar.
Had an accident years ago as a meat cutter and damaged the index finger of my draw hand. I noticed when looking at my fingers that the first knuckle of the index finger when curled up, actually matches up in line with the 2nd and 3rd finger 2nd knuckle. I've decided to do some experimenting tomorrow and see what the results are.
I may change my draw because excessive tork on some shots has been a problem.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
You could be twisting the finger into the arrow like I caught myself doing years back.  I found it hurt like crazy for the first dozen arrows then not so much and after a couple hundred shots it came back so bad I had to quit.  I need to make sure of my finger loads, equal with index and ring finger and make sure my drawing hand is as square to the string as is comfortable.  I haven't had a problem with it in twenty years since I changed. I also get cleaner arrow flight and more arrow speed with the powered up right hand.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Try this. I've been an archery instructor for many years teaching both classic target archery and traditional,{instinctive}. Emphasize pulling with the middle finger. It doesn't matter whether you anchor with the index or the middle finger. The middle finger should do 90% of the pulling with the index and the ring fingers, although assiting, basically "going along for the ride".
Also concentrate on pulling with the elbow, straight back. At anchor, there should be a straight, continuous line from the tip of the arrow to the tip of your elbow.
When you get to your anchor point, move the elbow slightly toward your back.{back tension}.
This allows you to pull through the shot. Relax the muscles in the drawing hand. The string should escape and move through your fingers as if they were smoke. Follow through: the hand comes back and stops over the shoulder.{dynamic release}.The bow arm stays solid and on target.{the shot isn't over untill the arrow is in the target}. I hope this helps. With your rig you should not be experiencing finger pinch.
Rich Potter

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
Nutmeg,experimenting with what you just said, i find that my final move in the sequence is bow arm toward the target, not dropping or rising only pointing left hand at the target as the string is released.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Bowferd, I,m not sure what you mean. can you elaborate?
Rich Potter

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Yes. I cut a tendon on the top index finger in my right hand some 25 years ago. It still bends after being repaired but only to meet up with the 2nd knuckle of my 3rd and 4th finger. So when trying to use a full hook on draw I've noticed that if I should decide to, the only way to achieve maximum pull from the top would be to hook the string around the 2nd joint in fingers #3 and #4.
Although this may result in what might be an unorthodox way to pull and release, I think I may have to try it.
Chances are that I will develop blisters on the fingertips of #3 & #4.

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
I've got a couple short bows.  One pinches my fingers, the other doesn't.  I used to think that the difference was due to their draw weight -- in other words, they both pinched but I noticed the problem with the heavier bow more.

Then someone explained the difference that riser height made and the light went on.  Hmm...

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
A couple of things I forget to add. Keep the bow arm shoulder pointed at the target. Do not roll the shoulder.{don't allow it to roll up toward the face or ear}. Do not lock{hyper extend}, the bow arm. Rather, rotate it outward. If you're experiencing string slap you're not doing this correctly. If done correctly you won't need an arm guard.{execpt to keeep bowhunting clothes sleeves away from the string}. BTW, to Bowferd; the movement of the bow and the bow arm for a right handed shooter is down and to the left. Like recoil. Your job is to hold the bow on target as steady as possible. Also, don't choke the handle to death as if you were holding a rattlesnake in your hand. A light relaxed grip is the way to go. {like you have an egg in your hand}. White knuckling the handle the grip causes torque and emphasizes the drop off to the left{for a right handed shooter}.
Rich Potter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©