3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: finger pinch!!!!!!  (Read 882 times)

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: finger pinch!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
If you have a glove with seams on the sides of the fingers it can cause this.
I don't know what kind of glove your using, but one with the seams on the top, or near the top may eliminate your problem.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
BigJim, I'm not trying to jump in on your post. Good question and great answers. Let's keep this one on top for a while.
Rich, I have a tendency to grab on and hold like a fierce wind is blowing. But I do concentrate on relaxing my holding hand to the point of thumb and saddle only. The fingers of the left are only there for balance. Of course the heavier the bow the harder that principle is to achieve.
And I use a glove on both hands. Got a piece of feather quill in my holding hand one time and it festered and raised cain.
I've cut my left hand on numerous occasions with just a itty bitty feather.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
I vote on dropping back to 67#. You can kill anything up to moose with it. Good luck guy !

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
One other thing I'd like to add. I see this all the time in my classes. Many guys,(even large,linebacker types), are simply overbowed; pulling too much weight. You'd be amazed what dropping down in draw weight does for form, accuracy and comfort. Shooting a bow is supposed to be fun and a pleasant activity. If you'er wrestling with your bow every time you draw it back you're short changing yourself. Yes Danny, 67# will certainly kill a moose but, 55#-60# will get the job done quite nicely.
Rich Potter

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Thank you for your advice. I have gone through some of these questions before on another web and have checked time and again several of the posibilities suggested by having my wife observe my shooting.
I draw with my arm straight in line with the arrow. I hit anchor but release instinctively as i'm going through. my hand and arm continuing back because of the release. I don't struggle with the weight contrary to the popular belief of many people who have never seen or met me.
I find 80 pound bows to shoot comfortly and lesser bows to feel like youth bows. If they weren't comfortable I would shoot less poundage. I hunt all over the world and my personal accuracy is important to me. Besides, tuning arrows for heavy poundage is a bitch and not worth it if I didn't shoot heavier bows better. Danny, won't a 80# bow kill a moose too?
Back to the subject. I haven't tried concentrating on emphasizing my middle finger (I mean while I draw)Maybe this will help.
As far as bow handle, all of my bows have had the same handle. I shoot an american leathers glove that I had custom made for me with leather finger pads instead of nylon and it works much better than before but I do think the seams may be part of the problem. I don't lock my arm. Never use a arm guard unless hunting.
I will try some more Ideas and then I will just go back to three under if necessary.

Danny, I'm not upset or anything, but just trying to prove a point. If you don't mind, what poundage do you shoot best? How old are you? What do you do for a living? What size coat/chest?
I am 40 years old, weigh 300lbs with only a beer gut. I have a 54" chest and am 6'3".(this is why they call me big Jim) Most people who condem me for shooting higher poundage are average in stature and shoot about 55#'s. If I am twice their size shouldn't I be able to shoot a few more pounds. And what is the problem if I can. It certainly won't tear the animals up more.

I talk too much,  BigggggJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
Right on, Big Jim.  Given your size, I have no doubt that 80#-90# feels comfortable for you.  I've always been a heavy bow advocate.  I'm about 2/3 your size and shoot bows about 2/3 your poundage.  As I said before, though, the heavy weight can play hell with one's fingers.  Other than a heavy glove, good form, and perhaps a thread nock point, I don't know what else to recommend.  Hope some of this stuff works for you.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Orion- thanks for your help. I switched to a string nock a little while back and don't know if it helped or not because the problem still exists. It does come and go though. Mostly goes away after a break in shooting for a little while(one or two sesions a week) and comes back after extended shooting(4 to 6 times a week).

Thanks, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
I have met Big Jim. I call him Brutus!He is a very BIG man. His sense of humor is also very BIG. He is a very nice guy too!
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©