3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Life span of TREESTANDS???  (Read 598 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Life span of TREESTANDS???
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
I have several Baby Gorillas stand that have been in the woods for about 5 years now. Every year I am prepared to retire them but they look and test to be fine. When is it time to say when?   Thanks.  BILL

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Life span of TREESTANDS???
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
to me it is when they start "showing".  This means squeaks, or other issues you can't make go away.  Sometimes they just need a little sanding and painting, and some TLC.  I however, never leave mine up.  Some of mine are now 12-14 years old.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
I try my best not to leave them out all year. Squirrels eat the straps, seat, and one time had so many acorns in the seat when I put it down at oh dark thrity,it sounded like 50 pounds of marbles in a garbage can.
I usually bring them in every year, inspect them, replace any susupect bolts, sand and paint any rust, and I have even replaced seats. Like any equipment, you get out of it waht you put into it.
I know one thing, I ALWAYS inspect each one before I climb on. One time I found an attachment strap literally hanging by threads...tree rats. If I had climbed aboard, it would have been a fast thirty feet to the stone wall below. Now I use chains.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
Dont forget to inspect your steps, or climbing system either. I have had tree growth bend a solid step to the point it broke...another reason to recover gear after season.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
the only stand I have that gets weathered in my ladder stand... end of season I take it out of the woods and store it. I check it over really good.touch-up paint when needed.

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
i have several stands of all makes and models and agree with what has been stated above. i also will recomend checking the vinyl coated metal wire used to hold the platform in place,this is the only place that makes me nervous.

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
I've got Screaming Eagle lock-ons that are 20 years old. They are in near perfect shape, despite once or twice being left out from one year to another. About the only thing that has deteriorated it the rubber coating on the chains, and even that has basically held up very well.

There is no apparent reason that they won't last me another 20 years...

Offline upatree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
you have to check every stand every year.  I have a climber that is 12 years old and needs a few replacement parts. As for lock-on type stands, make sure there are no cracks or squeeks and they will last for a long time.
Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
I have about 15 stands.  Most I've had and used hard for about 13 years.  I do exactly like ishiwannabe and they are holding up well.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
I have 52 stand sites that is down from over 100 a few years ago. I have a few old chain ons that have been in trees for 15 years or more, I still sit some of them. I went to a bracket system about 5 years ago and leave them in the ood year round. I go in in May and check them all and loosen them up and re-set them, never a problem. Last year I started using Chippewa wedge-Loc stands and make the brackets myself. I put 31 up last year and left them out, I will see how they faired in about two months! I agree with above though, ya should not leave stands out from year to year and check everything over very well before each season. I know what it is like to fall 23ft. when a step that has been in a huge old oak for 5 years breaks. The fall was not bad, the sudden stop at the bottom did me no good! Shawn
Shawn

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
until stollen :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
If they are steel, they will rust from the inside out.  If left to the elements for an extended time you can never be sure how bad they really are.
 I pull mine at the end of every season and spray the inside of the tubing with Rem Oil, then spray paint the areas where the paint is chipped off.   This seems to protect them well and the odor is gone by next season.  I also hang them and inspect them with a load on them before each season.  Keep an eye out for bolts that get worn through also.
Something else to look for is ice damage.  Sometimes you get enough moisture inside the tubing to form ice that will expand and/or crack the tubing.
If you take care of a well made stand, there's no reason it shouldn't last your entire hunting career.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
I have and still use a Woods and Water climber for the last 20+ yrs. Back then, it cost well over 200 dollars, which was a lot of money for a stand. Every yr I give it a look over--tighten a bolt or two and check the straps. I have been extremely pleased with this stand. It was made with airplane grade aluminum in Wisc. I heard the owner of the company was trying to sell it. Do any of you know what happened to this company? Peace!!

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I have a tripod stand (1) and will not leave out for the year. Why tempt those who may not be "too" honest. And if not left out in the elements, it will last longer.
For owners of steel framed stands, spray the inside of your tubing with autoboy undercoating (the tar like stuff) though it does make the stand heavier, it surely slows down ol man rust.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©