3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting the wiley dink buck...or how I killed the smallest buck of the year  (Read 8389 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Terrific story, thanks for sharing and congratulations
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Enjoyed it very much Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bisch

Great story Charlie! And congrats on your buck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bow Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the great story!   By the way , working up an animal the gutless way doesn't mean that you have to miss out on the heart and liver. Up here in MT I try to use this method on just about every thing including deer, elk and moose unless it is in a place that we can get a vehicle to, which is almost never.  With the animal laying on its side  I will remove the skin from that side.  After removing the ham, front shoulder, back strap and any other meat from the bones on that side I cut a small slit in the kidney area to remove the tenderloin from the underside of the spine. They are small in a yearling deer but they are a very choice piece of meat. We sure don't want to leave them in an elk or moose.  If  possible I will remove them both from this cut.  Then I roll the carcass over and do the same to the other side. After all of the meat has been removed from the second side you can make a bigger cut through the side and belly muscles at the back edge of the ribs from the spine to the sternum and remove the second tenderloin if you didn't already get it from the other side. . Make any other cuts that are necessary to let the guts pour out and give you access to the liver and heart. Enjoy.
If I'd known that I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
Good to hear your doing better and getting after it sir .

Much enjoyed the stories , and pictures .  Congratulations on the time-hunts-and enjoy the fine nourishment the animals have given...  Thanks for taking us along !
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Story Charlie! Enjoyable as always.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
I love a good tale and you Sir tell with the best of them,  I'm so glad that your back at it and doing what you love :thumbsup:

:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great ending!  Congrats on the buck and doe Charlie!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thank you for allowing us to tag along. Truly a good story that one is able if he/she reads along carefully might gleam a bit of knowledge and wisdom that could possibly lead to some success of our own making.

I enjoyed this story as much as any in your book. If anyone hasn't taken the time to read it I would recommend it!

Thanks again my friend!

God bless,Mudd  :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
One of the best stories I've read in a long time. You are an inspiration to all the members of the older bowhunting crowd. Glad your now pain free and able to better do the things you love. Thanks for sharing.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie,

I always enjoy your stories!  Thank you for sharing! 

I hope you're doing well! 

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Someone asked about pics of equipment. I'll try to get some up tomorrow. I sure do appreciate all the kind words.

My book got mentioned as well. I realized there might be some that haven't heard of it. Anyone interested can find it on Amazon... "A Bowhunters Tales".
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Here are the equipment pictures I promised. Broadhead is a Magnus I that I modify to 1 1/4" and use the small bleeder blade. Aluminum shaft. 4x4.75 fletch...75x105

Bow is a Sunbear recurve, 62", 50# @28", riser black actionwood and myrtle. Delta 7 arrow quiver, bolt on.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:22:59 AM by Charlie Lamb »
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
And oh yeah... a touch of spray paint.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mighty Big Country

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie, Glad I knew you before becoming an internet legend.  HA!  Ol' Jerry P. would of been proud of your spray paint job on the Sunbear.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hey Mark!! Yeah, the good old days.  :wavey:   I wasn't making any progress with Magnus lol. Decided to become a legendary carrot dangler (as Gene Wensel calls it :saywhat: ) I hope all is well up in South Dakota. That's a ways from home.  Sure miss Jerry. Probably not enough paint on there to suit him, though.  :)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for sharing your story Charlie! Congrats on the deer!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
I always look forward to your stories!

Thanks for sharing!

God Bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©