3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill bows how many lams?  (Read 869 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill bows how many lams?
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Was wondering what you fellas think on the difference between the number of lams in Hill bows. Not interested in any other kind of longbow other than straight end.I am Shooting Mudfeatghers 5 lam Wesley and its the only Hill I`ve shot enought to learn and it is sweet.
Do you guys notice any shooting or drawing difference between the Wesley or maybe a 3 lam Tembo?Speed,not that it matters,or smoothness to draw? Thanks,RC.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Hill bows how many lams?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
I had a Wesley Special (five lams).  I now have Big 5s (four laminations).  My next Hill just may be a Tembo with three laminations of bamboo.  I'm not convinced there's an advantage to more laminations in a narrow/thick design like a Hill.  The more laminations, the more glue joints between them, which aids in limb memory, which is another way of saying it makes the limbs less flexible and stiffens the draw.  I prefer that the weight comes from the springiness of the laminations rather than the glue joints.  

The strength/springiness of the laminations is greatest near the outside of the bamboo shoot.  In theory, more thinner laminations will take greater advantage of this factor.  However, in practice, four laminations is plenty thin to take advantage of the outermost strength/springy fibers.  Three probably is as well, at least in a medium weight bow.  Most non-Hill bows use three or four laminations of bamboo for mid-weight ranges (50#-65#).

The resulting differences in draw smoothness and speed are probably pretty small, probably not enough that most of us could detect them.  But that's my preference, and I'm sticking to it.       :bigsmyl:

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
I've had more than 30 and find the individual bows can vary as much between identical construction as between models.    many folks like the 5 lam Wesley.   I find that for consistant smoothness, I prefer the Cheetahs.   However, even my Tembos were fine in that regard.    i would choose based on the appearance and specs I wanted.   If you're willing to go for an extra $50 or $75 (can't remember exactly) Craig will put an extra lam in any bow for you.   It can all get confusing.    I had a Wesley... 5 lams or bamboo, normally,  that someone had had built but wanted elm on the outer limbs.   So, was it a custom Wesley wtih elm lams or a Ruffed Grouse with an extra lam of bamboo...   The bow was beautiful and very smooth... it really didn't care.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
I know what you mean Dick.  Lots of different wood/bamboo combinations out there.  Not even  names for all of them.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
RC:  I have a Wesley, a Redman, and a Tembo.  They are all very nice and I can affirm what Dick said--as much difference between bows of the same model as there is between different materials.  The Tembo is a bit lighter by about 2 pounds than the Wesley but every bit as smooth and sweet drawing.  I do think I feel a difference between the bamboo of the Wesley and the Tembo compared to the yew in the Redman.  The bamboo bows just feel a bit softer and sweeter drawing to me, but that's all subjective.  Personally I don't think the cost of the added lams is evident in the performance.  Just my .02 cents worth......Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Thanks Guys,I got this bow of Mudfeathers but I think I`m getting that sickness of having to have more "Hills".
  Dick you are a real big help because when my wife scoffs at me "needing" another Hill bow I tell her you got`em by the dozen and I only want one more.....RC

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
I've got a Wesley and a Tembo and both are very smooth and shoot extremely well. There are a lot of Hill fans out there who's pet bows are Tembo's so there might be something to what Orion was saying. I like mine a little better than the Wesley but can't really pin down why, it's just a sweet shooter!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
RC, the best Hill I've had was a King of the North, center lam of cocobola,2 lams of bamboo, 2 outer lams of juniper with clear glass, cocobola riser. Smoothest, Best shooter I've ever shot. Along with being knock-out beautiful.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
I think getting the right length is more important than materials most of the time.  Some will swear by extra long and others extra short.  I would stick to the normal lengths 68=28,66=26, 64 or 62=25.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Squirrel Bait:
RC, the best Hill I've had was a King of the North, center lam of cocobola,2 lams of bamboo, 2 outer lams of juniper with clear glass, cocobola riser. Smoothest, Best shooter I've ever shot. Along with being knock-out beautiful.
There you go again, mentioning the bow we are both still looking for....  :rolleyes:  

Dang but that was the sweetest shooting Hill I've ever shot.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
I`ve been through all the "phases" of trad bow hunting from wanting the fastest to the purtiest but now I just want forgiving and quiet cause I am a critter hunter and the way to impress them is with a magnus throught the ribs.I must admit that after  many many many bows i will never be satisfied but these Hill style bows supply the quiet and forgiving part and Lord willin I get to go hunting next week and I`m gonna run an arrow through something .RC

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
RC:  Go get em.  If you'll be using a Hill, you already know about its shootability.  I think you'll be surprised at its performance

Laddy:  I agree that the right length is at least as important as the number of laminations, the right weight as well.  For me, 66 inches seems the best fit at my just shy of 28-inch draw.  A little shorter than the standard recommendation. Think one can play around the edges as long as one doesn't go overboard, i.e., short bow, long draw length, and sometimes, vice-versa.

Offline DEERDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
I have a Wesely Special. It is by far the quietest bow I have ever shot!
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
I have two Wesley's,a Big Five and a Tembo and I think they all draw smooth.One Wesley was made like a King of the North.It has all the features except the inlay,it has cocobola riser with juniper back and belly,with bamboo and a cocobola center lam and moose leather grip and moose antler tip overlays.The guy I got it from had Craig make it when he couldn't find a King of the North bow.There is just something about shooting my Hill's it's hard to pick my favorite.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
I know it JC, but it's like a crack addict, I can't help myself. If anyone knows who has #7 of 50 King of the North, I give my wife for it back.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
I have several Hill bows and several more Hill style bows but the one I like the best is my Owl take down it is one sweet shooting bow......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
you guys need to pay more attention... I sold a King of the North among the 18 I've parted with in the past two months!   Hated to, beautiful bow and a great shooter, but I can't pull the weight I used to, so I've been weeding out brutally and going down to low weight.   I feel kind of bereft... only have a dozen Hills left, and four or those are on the block... then I can start on the non-Hills.    Lots of new toys coming in, though  :^)
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
I have had a number of bows the last few years and have made atleast 30 bows myself. I got the hankering to try a Hill and ordered one . Well it only took Craig about 3 weeks to make it and I love it. It has a cocobollo riser with elk inlay and 2 lams of boo in the core with outer lams of zebrawood. I'm surprised at how quick it is. I did modify it a bit by trimming out the sight window an 1/8" which seems to allow me to shoot a wider range of arrows. What's everyones experience with sting material on Hills? Mine has antler limb tips so i know it's ff safe. I made a ts1 string and it wasn't much quicker than the dacron string it came with.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
I use 12 strand, padded D97 on both mine. I don't care about the speed, I like the way it feels at the shot better than the B50 and it's just as quiet.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Red Armed Panther

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
John, happy you like the bow I found a King new in box and there is no difference in performance too the one you have. I have had Big 5, Tembo, and for my money the Wesley's are my choice. However the great thing about HH is Craig will make up anything you request one of the best.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©