3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snakes!!!!  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Snakes!!!!
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:46:02 PM »
It’s that time of year again! I made doubley sure to grab my sneaky snake boots today while out scouting for turkeys and pigs. This happened about an hour from my house the other day.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/man-catches-48-inch-long-rattlesnake-before-having-a-heart-attack

And the small community 10min south of me has their festival soon also. And while I said “that time of year”, a Ft. Sill soldier was on a land nav course a couple years back in JANUARY and was hit on the leg by a +6ft snake and he lost his leg. In January!!!

Just be careful guys and gals!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snakes!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:29:51 PM »
Would a snake that large hit you above your snake boot? That's just plain scary. Taller snake leggings might be better for those guys.
Sam

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:38:44 PM »
OMG...

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:56:34 PM »
Man I would have had a heart attack as well if I ran into that thing!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 08:04:11 PM »
Oh my

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
 I know one person I know him personally that got bit by a snake he was a kid he was playing basketball within a quarter of a mile of the courthouse of my town and I've played in the woods all my life....

I don't wear any snake protection and I'm not going to I don't see the purpose half the time I'm crawling around kneeling whatever I'll take my chances as it's very rare that people get snake bit....

no reason to get petrified over snakes but if it makes you feel better to Shield yourself to whatever degree go right ahead...

Like I stated in the thread earlier I have a friend of mine who hunts in south Georgia where it's snake rampant at times in the swamps of South Georgia he wears tennis shoes hunting and has for years.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »
Would a snake that large hit you above your snake boot? That's just plain scary. Taller snake leggings might be better for those guys.

Scientists say they can only hit 1/3 of their body length so my short 5’6” doesn’t like hearing about something that big. My Danner snake boots are 18”. I do have a pair of chaps but they are loud! I’ve only seen one rattler while hunting and that was a timber rattler out in Eastern OK during muzzle loader season. Nearly stepped on his head while walking down a logging/oilfield lease road.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline JNewton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
Wow!!!
I hope Mr. Crow will be okay!

The size of that snake, and the fact that they're even out in this cold weather amazes me. I think its colder here in Broken Arrow than it is back at my home in western OR........
Jimmie

A transplanted Okie living in Sandy, OR

OMP Ozark Hunter Longbow 50#

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 10:10:56 PM »
Terry, honestly a big reason I wear them is for the protection from all the stickers, rose bushes & other prickly veggies we have here. Actually had a cactus needle almost make it through my boots at a seem, enough for me to know it was there but not prick me.

JNewton. I was visiting Beavers Bend 4yrs ago in the middle of June and remember having to wear a hoodie at noontime. Granted it had been foggy and misted off and on for several days also.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Online Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 01:50:01 PM »
Yikes!!! Don't know if I'd had a heart attack, but would have needed a clean pair of under ware. Glad to see the guy is going to be alright.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 08:25:42 PM »
    I have run into quite a few in Texas while hunting hogs, none at night while blood trailing thank god . Some of those Texas rattlers are huge we've killed some 6 footers that were almost as big around as your fore arm . I've also got 4 in the ND Badlands they are smaller and more greenish and not as plentiful .
   I don't like em and I cant hear the rattles.  I have snake gaiters but I always forget to put them on .

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 09:35:02 PM »
A few summers ago I was helping a buddy put new heads on his sprinkler it was a hot day and the corn was tall which made it hard to see your feet. I felt something soft underfoot and looked down to see I was stepping right on a big fat rattler. I tried to crush him beneath my boot but the soft wet soil made it impossible. I gave up on crushing him and jumped as far as I could and made a mad dash.   Later that night I bought the tallest pull on Ariat work. It's I could find
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 12:12:28 AM »
A few years back on Camp Pendleton my wife was in the kitchen and my infant son was playing on the living room floor.  Our spaniel went nuts and my wife saw a rattler coiled up-dog got between our son and the snake. Spaniel had been bitten on the ear.  Doc saved him. Never can tell where they’ll turn up. There are lots of them here in Nevada but not encountered often.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
Speaking of Camp Pendleton, many, many moons ago (1996ish) when in ITR at Camp Onofre (sp?) we killed 5 rattlers under the bleachers during night compass training then proceeded to take off on a night compass course gig.
 Needless to say concentration was not totally on the compass.
Semper Fi

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 09:47:42 PM »
Was stationed at Corey Field in 1966 for school and when we got to run the obstacle the Marines had to clear the rattle snakes out of the old tires before we got to play. There was always at least one per tire

Offline Bow Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:33 AM »

This is what I do to those critters.

If I'd known that I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

pavan

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »
I do not see many snakes and never know how to react.  I was told of prairie rattlers not far from here, an area that even has a type of cactus.  I found one by a firewood pile, it tried a strike, but I was out of range.  Some students and a college prof found more on a brushy hillside.  They reported that some of the snakes were well off the ground in the woody cover, no snake boots would help, they panicked and got off the hill side.  I have not heard any reports for some time about the freak rattler hill.   Once along the the Mississippi on a deer scouting/ motorcycle run, I stepped on a fallen tree trunk, my foot broke through and a hoard of bumble bees came out and attacked me.  I ran around a rock bluff and was rubbing off the bees that were trying to bite through my leather jacket.  I was rubbing my back on the rock and turned to find me about 6 inches face to face of a very large timber rattler sunning himself on a rock ledge.  He stuck his tongue out a couple of times and that was all.   I am not sure what would be worse, get bitten the neck by bumble bees or bit in the face by a snake.   The bee bites in the neck were bad enough.
   Oh yes, I forgot.  the area that has the rare chance of seeing an Iowa prairie rattler, also has one of the most wonderful things in all of nature, wild strawberries, lots of wild strawberries.  Trust me, they are worth the risk.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:42:51 AM by pavan »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 12:58:57 PM »
Terry, honestly a big reason I wear them is for the protection from all the stickers, rose bushes & other prickly veggies we have here. Actually had a cactus needle almost make it through my boots at a seem, enough for me to know it was there but not prick me.

JNewton. I was visiting Beavers Bend 4yrs ago in the middle of June and remember having to wear a hoodie at noontime. Granted it had been foggy and misted off and on for several days also.

I hear you on Thorn protection because I've been to Texas quite a few times and I brought back quite a few stickers that came out one or two weeks later but never saw a snake which reminds me I think I'll start a thread
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 06:19:00 PM »
Recovering from a poisonous snake bite can be very expensive. Snake gaiters are cheap by comparison. When the weather turns warm and the snakes get active I wear the gaiters -- cheap insurance.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©