3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snakes!!!!  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snakes!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
Gotta figure out how to post pics; encountered a rare "GA cobra" several years ago at Ft Stewart that put on a good show...
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »
TTT For GA. :bigsmyl:

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »
A few years ago, like 1964, I was attending artillery training at Ft Sill, OK. A few of us decided we were going to climb up Mt Scott. There was a road to a parking lot on top on one side of the mountain (really large hill) but we walked up the other side. We got to the top and an old guy (he seemed old to me at that time:-)) Said "You city boys never cease to amaze me". I didn't consider myself a city boy as I grew up on a small farm in Michigan and said so. He took us back down the way we had climbed up and showed us half a dozen rattlers sunning themselves. Survival of the innocents?
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 05:15:04 PM »
Ft. Sill and the Wichita Mts have a metric crap ton of snakes. When I was a cop on Ft. Sill the only snake bite case I personally worked (was also assigned to a police medic duties) was actually from the Refuge. A little girl stepped over a rock and the snake bit her calf. The man hiking with them tossed her over his shoulder and ran all the way back to the trailhead. She kept her leg. The young LT that was bitten while I was there didn’t.

My grandfather went through OCS on Ft. Sill back then also.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Some of those snakes pictured are huge. I still break out in a cold sweat when I think of the two rattlers in almost the same area two years in a row that I nearly stepped on!

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
When hunting in Texas I have encountered about 6 of the blue indigo snakes some of them are huge also 7 to 9 feet the biggest I have seen is about 7 feet . They come in a color of like grape bubble gum to almost black. One I was after changed colors from dark blue to almost black . I understand they kill rattle snakes .
   On the bigger snakes I wonder if snake boots and gaiters are tall enough .

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »
My dog Mickey and I have one thing in common, we have both been bitten by Copperheads.  I made my living as a nuisance trapper and Mickey was in training at the time to locate snakes.  I trained him to find them but they were always in a pillow case.  Hadn't gotten around to teach him they bite.  Usually use a black snake to teach them.  Was at a job for a copperhead under the front stoop and was putting him on a cable but the owner came out and distracted me.  Too late he smelled the snake and got bit on the snout.  I thought if I get any venom out it will help so I sucked out blood and venom 3 times by the last one he was yelping pretty good.  Vet in 10 minutes, antibiotics and anti inflammatory and he was good to go in 2 days.  Here's a before and after pic.

Offline SnakebitYank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »
Been bit at least 15 times since moving to the deep south.  I wish i was a PC guy. I've stacks of pics & vids of 6' vipers! I'll figure it out. Took a bite to the right elbow a month ago. Down to almost no effect! Shucks!!

Offline tom halloran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 05:21:56 PM »
Last summer I found this guy in the yard next to the house as I was running out back to fling some arrows. Had not seen one in 7 years since we moved here, but had been expecting to that summer because how dry/hot it was, figuring they would come into the garage for cool and water.

Anyway, I didn't trust my bow skills to get him before he got away, so I whacked him with a shovel

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
Been bit at least 15 times since moving to the deep south.  I wish i was a PC guy. I've stacks of pics & vids of 6' vipers! I'll figure it out. Took a bite to the right elbow a month ago. Down to almost no effect! Shucks!!
[/quote

What kind of vipers?

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »
Snakebityank,  do you belly crawl to your stand.....lol....wowzer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©