3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: pine cone carvings or lite checkering?  (Read 788 times)

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
pine cone carvings or lite checkering?
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I was wondering how the pine cone carvings such as Bob Morrison offers feel on the hand? Also is there someone, maybe a TG sponsor, that does light checkering on a riser? I really like the looks of the pine cones but it looks kind of rough. I just ordered a new riser that is all one piece of osage and I was planning on doing something as it looks a great "canvas" for a picture. Anyone ever seen any other grip style carving? like a deer head maybe? Is it sacrilegious to even mess with it?   :eek:  

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: pine cone carvings or lite checkering?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
If you can't find a trad ganger to checker, can probably just do a search on the web.  Don't have the sites now, but I know there are several checkers who do bow handles.

Checking does have some disadvantages, in my opinion.  For some people, checking on the belly side of the grip is hard on the bow hand.  Remember, you're pressing that checking back into your hand with whatever weight bow you're shooting.  It's not like holding a pistol grip on a gun.  

A larger issue IMO, is that checking keeps the bow's riser from moving/rotating in your hand.  Some people consider this a plus, but I don't.  I like to grip the bow loosely when I draw and let the grip come to rest in the web of my bow hand where it will. That way I don't torque the handle.  With a checked grip, whatever your grip on the bow before you start to draw is the same grip you will have when you complete the draw.  If you've torqued it to start, it will stay torqued because it won't move in your hand.  As I said, some people consider this a plus.  Depends on your shooting style.

Some things to consider.  :)

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
thanks Orion
Some risers have just been a little too slick for me in july in Ga. I had a brack drifter that a very limited number of checkering grooves spaced about 1/4" apart. Worked great for gripping, and you couldnt really feel them.
I have always thought that the really tight checkering would be hard on the hand.
I use snakesin for almost all my grips but I dont want to cover that pretty wood up.

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
try stippling..real cool...pm Tim Golder on this site..he does real nice work
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Love my pinecones! I have a number of Bob's bows and I prefer the pinecones over no pinecones. Mine are on 64# Shawnee and have never given me any problems at all.
hunt it

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
I have the pine cone on my Cheyenne. It is not a problem for me because the part of the gripping hand that comes in contact with it is loosely touching it. The majority of the pressure against the grip is at the top where my fingers wrap around the grip (the yoke of my hand).  So, the pine cone just helps give the meaty lower part of the thumb somewhere rest against. If you like to grip the bow firmly then it got become an issue. I hunt into November too. So, having a light weight glove on this pine cone helps too.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
razorbak, I have seen a picture on TG of a riser that he did I believe.. I cant find it now but the stippling looked extremely cool.
Hunt it....Thats what I was wanting to hear!

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
You get used to the pine cones in just a few days. Or you can get just one, also known as a half pinecone. I think it would look perfect on that riser. You could ask if Bob would smooth off the sharp edges. I have trouble with bows slipping in the early season when I wear light cotton gloves. The pine cones are more pronounced than the stipple grip, which I also like a lot. Love that Osage.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
I really like the Pine cones on my Cheyenne. Ever have had a issue with them being uncomfortable or effecting my shooting. Matter of fact I really do not like shooting bows that do not have them or some form a stippling or checkering.

Just talk to Bob about what you are looking for and he will do you right.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Bob put a single pine cone on my Shawnee and ILF risers.  They look great and are quite functional.
Gary Logsdon

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
I have a bear paw carved on my Ancient Spirits.  It really helps the grip and looks cools too  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Brent,
For what it's worth, you get my opinion.  I had ordered a "plain jane" Shawnee from Bob a couple of years ago.  Every time I talked to him, I added to it.  I ended up getting half pine-cones on the riser.

As Orion mentioned, you're putting the draw weight of the bow into that carving.  At first, it hurt my hand.  It doesn't bother me now (only takes a couple of shooting sessions) and I feel "naked" if I shoot a bow without them.

As with all things in archery, to each, his own.  Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.
homebru

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I can't vouch for this artist's work but I've been considering giving them a try when my 16" ACS-CX riser is built.  Admittedly that Bear Paw carving John mentioned above sounds intrigueing.

http://www.checkering.com/
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
The pine cones are beautiful...and work great.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I met a bowyer in Wappello who had a grizzly head carved into the grip portion of his riser.  That was way cool!  Good luck and let's see the new pics.

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
I just ordered a Bob Lee, and I asked Rod if I could have deer hoofs drawn into the riser, and they said they'll see what they can do. I am looking forward to getting it. Should be here any day.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline swampwalker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Had to bring this one out. Looking for some different options besides pinecones(they're beautiful), the bear tracks sound cool. Saw what Sherry Abraham does, very nice, just looking for something different. Yes, saw the stippling. Certainly in the running. Any ideas, pics, contacts? Thanks.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
I have stippled 3 bows according to Tim Golder's HOW TO....I just did a new Lost Creek yesterday.

It's not as difficult as some may think...give it a shot....it's fun, looks good, and works great. If you decide you don't like the stipple job, you can always cover in it in leather or sure grip.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
I was going to suggest contacting Terry Green. I've seen his Morrison with the pinecones. One of the best looking recurves I've seen. Since he has already posted, just ahead of me, you already have his opinion. Your both out of GA., maybe its worth getting together with Terry to take a look and try the pinecones on for size before making a decision.   :thumbsup:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Just got a new to me Morrison with the single pine cone, looks great and feels good to!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©