3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking of a new hybrid bow...  (Read 5196 times)

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking of a new hybrid bow...
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:36:57 PM »
I'm potentially in the market for a new 3 piece hybrid longbow and am having some trouble making decisions... At this point my main considerations are:

Schafer Silvertip 3p Longbow - I absolutely love the grip on these. They draw smooth, are performers but the cost adds up quick with all the bells and whistles!

Thunderhorn Heartstopper - I called Duane and Kim the other day and sounds like they have one in stock. I've never shot nor held a Thunderhorn, so am unsure about the grip, but they are beautiful bow and everybody loves them. Plus if they are not being made much anymore, they're demand!

A&H ACS - I'm drawn to the performance of these bows and even like the looks of them. I've never short one, so am uncertain of the grip, but I know they offer several grip options.

Morrison Wood ILF - I've contemplating ILF for hunting but will not give up wooden risers for trad bows at this time. I like Bob's innovations and have a Shawnee that is quite a shooter. I've contemplated getting a wooden ILF riser and having the options of various manufacturers limbs... but limbs can get expensive too, and I already have a Shawnee...

Cari-bow??? Looks a lot like the Hearstopper... which I like.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Things I find important in a bow:
+ the grip - feel of the bow in hand (like I said, I've yet to feel a grip better than the SS LB)
+ Aesthetics of the riser and the overall flow of limbs into the riser
+ Performance - whether its a hybrid or recurve, there's some amazing speeds these days and I want in on the action!
+ I'm open to buying a used bow, but if I'm going to fork out close to 1K, maybe I ought to have a custom made for a few hundred more...

Thanks for all input and if you've got a bow you love that you think I'll love, tell me about it and send a pic!
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking of a new hybrid bow...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
My only advice is to try the grip before you buy. Several years ago I listed after a A and H longbow. I saved up my pennies for a long time and got an RC Riser and limbs. It’s was a wonderful bow but had a grip I just could never get along with, was very uncomfortable for me . Tried a beaver wrap and grip tape and never found a good position. Had to sell the bow.

Just something to think about.
Mathis is not a knock on A and H bows, they are awesome, and I am 100% sure if I would have tri d their various grips I would have found one that fit me well.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:18:05 AM »
Excellent advice JR.

Unfortunately I live in Idaho and there aren't a lot of traditional archery events to meet custom bow makers and try out their bows...
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
Check to see if any of these bowyers have a try before you buy. They may send you one to try.  Good luck.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:41:16 AM »
They're all excellent bows. Would be nice if you could try before you buy because the grips do vary quite a bit from one to the other.

I've handled or owned most of those you list, and still do own a few of them. My absolute favorite grip is on my Morrison Shawnee.  I also like the hybrid longbow limbs on that riser.  I know Brandon doesn't advertise them, but he just might make you a set if asked.  They're very difficult to come by on the used market.

Good luck in your search.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
Don't overlook tall tines stickflinger longbows very good bow smooth drawing very quiet and throws an arrow and Brian's wood combos are Awesome!

NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
I have 2 heart stoppers a 3 and 1piece you will love one. I also wanted an AH and visited Larry at his shop in MI shot his bows they shot good but it slapped my wrist something fierce and I like the grip on my Thunderhorn  better. Larry told me I was gripping the bow wrong so that could be just me. I really like the Thunderhorn because it doesn't look like a TD recurve with longbow limbs like most do it's more slender and has better lines in my opinion.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 01:35:03 PM »
X2 on the Stickflinger.  A wonderful bow.  I have one with 49# and 55# limbs. Zero handshock and smooth.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
Disregard -- wrong thread. 
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »
The Caribow you're referring to is the Silverfox....And I can't recommend it enough.   Here's a picture of mine.  I received it from Abe in March of last year and was confident enough in it to take it as my primary bow last year on my mountain goat hunt.  The quality and craftsmanship are as good as I've seen in a bow and Abe's customer service is outstanding. The grip fits me perfect and it's very quick....seemingly as quick as my recurves of equal weight (although I've never shot them through a crono).   

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 08:14:29 PM »
Dark Timber, that's your Idaho Goat! That's awesome you used the Cari-bow on that hunt. If you could compare the grip on the Cari-bow to another, what would it be?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 08:40:12 PM »
x3 on the Stickflinger.

My favorite longbow that I have found!

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »
I have a Fox Royal Crown, that has become my Holy Grail.........
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline bcwilly2003

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 10:08:09 PM »
I have an A&H ACS and a Morrison. The Morrison ILF is my go to bow.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 12:25:28 PM »
Dark Timber, that's your Idaho Goat! That's awesome you used the Cari-bow on that hunt. If you could compare the grip on the Cari-bow to another, what would it be?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Really hard to compare grips because they're so individual but I'd say of the bows I've shot it's closest in shape to my Tall Tines recurve grip which I had Brian do in a medium low wrist and also pretty close to the Silvertip recurve medium low grip.  Being a longbow it's obviously much thinner than both of those recurve grips but shape is similar and I actually prefer the thinner profile.     

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »
www. Stickflinger.com !
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »
Thanks Dark Timber. That's helpful.

I thought Brian was done making bows? ala Stickfinger...

At the moment I'm leaning towards another 3 piece Silvertip Longbow...
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
Thanks Dark Timber. That's helpful.

I thought Brian was done making bows? ala Stickfinger...

At the moment I'm leaning towards another 3 piece Silvertip Longbow...

Stickflinger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 10:07:43 PM »
I own 3 Cari-bows and cannot say enough good things about them.  My three are a 62inch, 43@28 Silver Fox Specil Edition,; a 62 inch Peregrine, 48@28; and a 60 inch Tutku take down  recurve, 47@28. All three  are great performers and Abe's craftsmanship is second to none.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:07:01 PM by Bill Turner »

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
Brian stopped making bows for about two days...seems like that is all people can remember. He is definitely still in business and churning out fine bows. Best hybrid I have ever shot, really the best hunting stickbow I’ve ever shot is the TallTines Stickflinger, you should give one a try.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©