3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Bow Kill - Turkey Story  (Read 3331 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
First Bow Kill - Turkey Story
« on: April 03, 2018, 02:06:26 PM »
After two seasons of hunting with a traditional bow, I've finally managed to get something.  A friend of mine is selling some property in the foothills and these birds don't see much pressure from hunters.  So the odds were in my favor.  He let me hunt there until the place sells.

I arrived long before daylight & got myself setup.  I had only been out there one other time so I was working mostly from memory in the dark to find a good place to hide & set the decoys up.  My first stand location was backed up to some fallen logs.  As soon as I put the decoys in the ground, 5 gobblers started sounding off.  I listened & did my usual wake up calling routine.  The birds came down & went to some nearby hens instead of my direction.  But, if I called, they still answered back.  So we kept talking.

As the sun came up a bit higher, I wasn't able to get very comfortable where I was sitting and I didn't have very good visibility either.  So I moved about 50 yards over to a large pine, moved the decoys and sat much more comfortably.  Not having a blind, I can move fairly quickly to new locations.  I watched deer come and go & saw the turkeys moving about 100 yards off.  I argued with a hen that wanted to out-yelp me.  Three turkeys moved along, mostly feeding way out beyond where I could tell what they were.  They'd come and go a couple of times looking very relaxed.  At this point, I was happy to just have talked to some turkeys and see them, too.  The gobbles quieted down but we'd still chat every so often.  I saw them move over to the left of a clearing, as they had done a couple of times already but was still waiting to see if they went back over while I contemplated making a stalk closer to their location.

Suddenly, they were about 30 yards away, coming out of a gully and walking slowly my direction.  The leader would stop & strut while the other two followed along.  The leader was a nice tom with about an 8" beard.  The two followers were jakes.  The tom struted, spat, drum & threw his wings down several times as he made his way closer while the jakes mostly walked & observed tom like a couple of adolescents taking lessons from the older playboy.  I just tried to take deep breaths and hold still while not staring directly at them.  They all circled between me and my decoys, getting a mere 3 yards away from where I sat.  The jakes moved off to my left a ways while the tom stuck around longer to convince the decoy hen of his studliness.  Finally, as he circled to my left, facing away & turned his head, I raised the bow.  I saw his eyes again & waited with my bow up for what was probably only a few seconds but seemed like several minutes.  Then he turned his head lowered a bit and, seeing the back of his head, I drew.

I'm normally a gap shooter.  But this bird was close.  I don't recall setting a gap or even using my clicker -- pure instinctive at this range.  The arrow found its mark, just behind the thigh (kind of a quartering-away shot) and he flopped around for a while until he bled out.  Meanwhile, the jakes were alarmed but took a while before they finally left, allowing me to recover the tom.  After giving thanks, I paced off the shot -- 4 yards.  The broadhead didn't pass through but halfway cut the beard off on its exit.

This was my first shot at an animal with a traditional bow and my first kill with a bow of any kind.  On top of that, since I had taken so many years off of hunting, this was my first turkey in about 20 years.  To have it all come together so well was more than I could ask for.  Nearly 5 hours of calling back & forth to have a 4-yard shot from the ground without a blind and an easy recovery was about as good as it gets for me.

I may get another opportunity to hunt this property again but I'm likely going to just be calling for my son or the friend who let me hunt there.  And if I go out for myself again this season, I think I'll have to give my homemade bow a try.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Bow Kill - Turkey Story
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
 Congratulations! The first is always special!  :clapper:
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »
Congrats....  :thumbsup:

You posted a thumbnail picture, which is fine.

After you select your picture from your PC or phone, just to the right of the little window where the picture name appears, click ( Insert Attachment 1 ). That will make the picture full size in your post.

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »
After two seasons of hunting with a traditional bow, I've finally managed to get something.  A friend of mine is selling some property in the foothills and these birds don't see much pressure from hunters.  So the odds were in my favor.  He let me hunt there until the place sells.

I arrived long before daylight & got myself setup.  I had only been out there one other time so I was working mostly from memory in the dark to find a good place to hide & set the decoys up.  My first stand location was backed up to some fallen logs.  As soon as I put the decoys in the ground, 5 gobblers started sounding off.  I listened & did my usual wake up calling routine.  The birds came down & went to some nearby hens instead of my direction.  But, if I called, they still answered back.  So we kept talking.

As the sun came up a bit higher, I wasn't able to get very comfortable where I was sitting and I didn't have very good visibility either.  So I moved about 50 yards over to a large pine, moved the decoys and sat much more comfortably.  Not having a blind, I can move fairly quickly to new locations.  I watched deer come and go & saw the turkeys moving about 100 yards off.  I argued with a hen that wanted to out-yelp me.  Three turkeys moved along, mostly feeding way out beyond where I could tell what they were.  They'd come and go a couple of times looking very relaxed.  At this point, I was happy to just have talked to some turkeys and see them, too.  The gobbles quieted down but we'd still chat every so often.  I saw them move over to the left of a clearing, as they had done a couple of times already but was still waiting to see if they went back over while I contemplated making a stalk closer to their location.

Suddenly, they were about 30 yards away, coming out of a gully and walking slowly my direction.  The leader would stop & strut while the other two followed along.  The leader was a nice tom with about an 8" beard.  The two followers were jakes.  The tom struted, spat, drum & threw his wings down several times as he made his way closer while the jakes mostly walked & observed tom like a couple of adolescents taking lessons from the older playboy.  I just tried to take deep breaths and hold still while not staring directly at them.  They all circled between me and my decoys, getting a mere 3 yards away from where I sat.  The jakes moved off to my left a ways while the tom stuck around longer to convince the decoy hen of his studliness.  Finally, as he circled to my left, facing away & turned his head, I raised the bow.  I saw his eyes again & waited with my bow up for what was probably only a few seconds but seemed like several minutes.  Then he turned his head lowered a bit and, seeing the back of his head, I drew.

I'm normally a gap shooter.  But this bird was close.  I don't recall setting a gap or even using my clicker -- pure instinctive at this range.  The arrow found its mark, just behind the thigh (kind of a quartering-away shot) and he flopped around for a while until he bled out.  Meanwhile, the jakes were alarmed but took a while before they finally left, allowing me to recover the tom.  After giving thanks, I paced off the shot -- 4 yards.  The broadhead didn't pass through but halfway cut the beard off on its exit.

This was my first shot at an animal with a traditional bow and my first kill with a bow of any kind.  On top of that, since I had taken so many years off of hunting, this was my first turkey in about 20 years.  To have it all come together so well was more than I could ask for.  Nearly 5 hours of calling back & forth to have a 4-yard shot from the ground without a blind and an easy recovery was about as good as it gets for me.

I may get another opportunity to hunt this property again but I'm likely going to just be calling for my son or the friend who let me hunt there.  And if I go out for myself again this season, I think I'll have to give my homemade bow a try.
Congratulations, great story too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
Loved it! Getting to be that time around here. :archer2:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Macatawa

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:11:05 PM »
Excellent!!
 :archer:

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »
Congrats....  :thumbsup:

You posted a thumbnail picture, which is fine.

After you select your picture from your PC or phone, just to the right of the little window where the picture name appears, click ( Insert Attachment 1 ). That will make the picture full size in your post.

Thanks.  I'll check that out next time.  I tried to do a full-size image but the thread wouldn't ever post.  After I shrunk each picture down by 50%, then it took without a glitch.  Thanks for the tip.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
Great job!!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »
That is awesome and congratulations!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 06:04:55 PM »
Congratulations and it's a story well told.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »
Great hunt - great shooting - well done !
<><
<-------------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

arrow30

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
nice bird, congratts! :thumbsup:

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 06:21:03 PM »
Your splendid success may be more of an achievement and challenge than you realize.

Many...Many...Many others have, in vain, worked hard at harvesting a gob without a blind.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
Congrats!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 07:36:43 PM »
Congratulations on a fine hunt and a great story. 
Sam

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »
Congrats

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »
very nice congrats, thanks for sharing

Just late for Easter supper though...lol
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »
Good job
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 08:33:24 PM »
Congrats on a hard task , not many animals tougher. What broadhead did you use?
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 09:05:33 PM »
Congrats man, what was your set up? Bow, arrow, etc.
From my cold,dead hands..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©