3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rothhaar Snuffer?  (Read 859 times)

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Rothhaar Snuffer?
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
Are the current 160-grain glue-on Snuffers being manufactured now by Magnus the same as the original Snuffers produced by Rothhaar, or is there a difference. Someone said over on bowsite that his original Snuffers weigh around 190 grains.

Don’t know if Ryan still visits this site much, but I’m sure he would know, or any info from Mike Sohm would be much obliged. Thanks ahead of time for any info…

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rothhaar Snuffer?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
I get 160 grn Snuffers 3-blade

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
Ryan or Mike - Either of you guys out there?

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
The original Rothhaar Snuffers I used were 180 grains.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline C2@TheLibrary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
The Snuffers Mr. Rothhaar made were heavier other than that Magnus Snuffers are as strong, as lethal and maybe even better made. In fact Mike Sohm maybe not so boldly says, "Snuffers, especially the heaviest, are the strongest broadheads Magnus makes." I believe him. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to shoot a critter or miscreant with one yet. Maybe this year.

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
I agree with C2.  I have shot both and currently use the Magnus 160 grain versions.  The old ones were good, but the new ones are improved.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Back when we manufactured the heads the "target" most of the time was 1.5 inch diameter, 165 grains without adaptor.  The 195 gr heads were these with a screw in adaptor.  Keep in mind that 1. we manufactured these heads over a 20 year period with many refinements in the process over the years so there were variations depending on when they were made and
2. we did the best we could with quality control, but we primarily looked for strength and straightness....grain wt within 20 grains or so didn't even hit the radar.  Back then the only guys with grain scales were reloaders.  20 grain variation in broadhead wt did not (and still DOES NOT) effect accuracy enough for 99.9% of people to notice so it SHOULD be a non-issue.  Frankly this level of QC within the complex process of manufacturing a big, strong, sharpen-yourself type broadhead is VERY good.

As to the current production, my understanding is the target is 160 gr without adaptor and 1 7/16 diameter...virtually the same as our "target" size was.  As stated above, Mike's process/heads are as good or better than anything we built back in the day.

Ryan

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
Also keep in mind the "Delta Manufactured" heads of the '90's were post Rothhaar involvement, and pre Magnus involvement.  These are the heads that had some QC, hardness, weld etc problems.

Ryan

Offline C2@TheLibrary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Hiya Ryan LTNS, How is your Dad doing?

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
WOW! Its Great to see More Hoosiers on here!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
Ryan - Cool, thanx so much for the info, much obliged.

Local retailer carries the Magnus 160s, I can pick them up there.

Thanx much guys for the help...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©