3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Else?  (Read 5927 times)

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What Else?
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
I've been thinking on this and it's been in the planning for a couple years. Myself and 4 buddies will be elk hunting in Colorado this fall. We'll be in unit 81 more than likely, possibly 80. I'm confident with my bow setup, bought some good boots and have them broke in, I'm in the best shape of my life and still working hard so that's covered. We all hunt so we have clothes, hunting/camping gear covered. I also put in for a mule deer tag for the second year in a row, so we'll see if I draw.

With that said what advice would you guys offer to a first time elk hunter? Even stuff that you think goes without saying could probably help, because this will be new for all of us. I'm kinda torn on buying a new pack...some of them are crazy expensive but everybody talks like they're really important so I may pick up a new one.  Here are a few things I'd really appreciate suggestions on:

Food!!  I read an article about pre cooking meals and freezing them, then putting them in vacuum sealed bags and just dropping them in boiling water to warm them up. That sounds good, and I'm also looking at Mountain House freeze dried meals, etc.

We plan to camp somewhere and hunt from a base camp, but we haven't narrowed it down to a specific camping area/trail head as of now.  I'm not asking for any secret spots or anything, but if any of you guys know a good place, possibly a park to camp in near 81 where we could drive a short distance and then hike in that would be awesome. We aren't afraid to walk.

And broadheads...I know this gets beat to death (sorry). My bow is right at 50lbs at my DL (29) and my arrows are around 480 grains. I shoot 145 gr heads. I really like a 3 blade, Woodsmans or VPA's in particular, but maybe a 2 blade would give me better penetration. I'm open to suggestions.

Sleeping pad...I have a good bag, and we have a canvass wall tent. But I'd like to sleep somewhat well at least so suggestions on a good sleeping pad would be appreciated too. And just any tips or advice in general for a first time elk hunter!! Thanks in advance.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: What Else?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »
Enjoy yourself.  You have most of the bases covered, I think. Not a bad idea to get out there a day or two before your hunt or take it easy the first day or two to get used to the elevation. 

I advise camping lower rather than higher.  Won't be as affected by elevation as much, and you'll be able to hunt the thermals better, i.e. hunt up in the morning when the wind is coming down and vice versa in the evening.

If your current pack works, no need to get another.  Given you'll have four guys, I assume that if anyone gets an animal, everyone else will help pack it out.  That might be a rule you set up in advance.

I like a 2-inch thick thermal rest mattress.  If you have a wall tent, use a cot to get yourself off the ground.  A bit more comfortable, but I've never found it difficult sleeping on the ground either with a good pad.

Woodsman's will work fine with your set up for elk and deer.

Might consider assigning evening meals to the various members in your group.  Each person responsible for one, maybe two meals for the group.  Other than that, freeze dried meals are quick and easy.  Granola bars and gorp work for mid-day calories.

Good luck.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:46 PM »
Mountain House freeze dried meals are the way to go in my book!  Take a good water purifier pump along too!
Have fun!

BowMike (Mike Tibbits)

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
Is this going to be an annual trip for years to come?  Are you going to spike camp much? How good is your current pack? If so I might pop for a good pack, if not go and see how yours does and see if you even like the experience.  I love it, but It ain't for everybody. As far as a pad goes I prefer a cot at base camp. If I pack in I get the lightest most comfortable pad I can afford. Nothing worse than being cold and uncomfortable when you need to be refueling. I have actually switched to a hammock/quilt system for this year. It was expensive but I cut a lot of pack weight. As far as where to go? Look for the most remote road less areas in the area you are looking to hunt. Colorado has been over ridden with ATV's. I pack in Mountain House meals and bring frozen meals for base camp. FYI it wont be very (vacuum) sealed when you get to elevation.

Hope this helps a little

John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips so far. I'd like to make it an annual trip I think, depending on how this one goes. And since we'll have a base camp a cot makes more sense than a sleeping pad, so that's an easy decision. I didn't even think of that. And to clarify on the pack situation, what I am actually trying to decide is whether to buy a freight hauler frame and strap my pack to it, or to just buy a new do it all type pack. I'll have to do one or the other.

Online 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
If your pack does not have or accept a water bladder, get one that does. Drink lots of water every day, you can get dehydrated real easy hiking up and down the mountains out west.

We cooked all of our meals at home, froze them then vacuum packed each meal. We loaded them in a 150 qt cooler and packed it with ice then wrapped the seal with plastic wrap and duct taped it closed. This worked really well for our 14 day hunt except for 1 thing. We had a huge block of ice frozen together with all of our meals inside lol. We had to chip our food out the first week with a hatchet so bring an ice pick if you go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 08:48:25 PM »
You wont get any more penetration out of a two blade than a Wensel Woodsman !!

Online GLP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
There are two speeds to elk hunting, really fast - covering lots of ground to find them. And really slow, so you don't bust them out of there. Knowing when to change gears is the key. I usually fail.  Have fun!!!!  Also learn about altitude sickness.   It takes the human body 4 days to start producing more red blood cells to help carry more oxygen in the blood, it takes 28 days to totally acclimate.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 11:55:52 PM »
Ryan, there's been some good info given so far. I'll add some things that others have passed on to me and a few things I've picked up through experience.

* First, and I think most important in your case, five is a big number of hunters to satisfy when expectations are high. I would suggest that before feelings are bruised and friendships suffer, that you guys have a serious talk about the fact that this isn't deer or hog hunting, mistakes are going to be made and you're there to learn and have fun first. I guarantee that someone in the group will end up feeling slighted over minor matters if details aren't ironed out beforehand.

* You say you'll be operating out of a base camp. Assuming you mean near the vehicles, then you can take as much as you need to be comfortable, and I would suggest doing that. Camp comfort, conveniences and good sleep will help you hunt harder and ease some of the potential stress from point #1.

* I have taken two different packs in the past, but settled on the "do-it-all" pack. I can carry everything I need for 2 weeks of packing in, setting up a spike camp and cinching the pack down for use as a daypack. Since you're going to have more room at a base camp, finding a cheaper used freight hauler may be the way to go if you like your existing pack as a daypack. Don't obsess on what may be the perfect combo - that will vary by hunting situation and you will learn a lot your first time out about what your needs and preferences are.

* Other gear: unless you're a gear junkie, don't worry about having the latest, greatest, lightest, coolest anything. Elk don't care about your camo. Water doesn't care how it's purified, fires don't care how they're started. You get the idea.

* Navigation: I don't have a GPS. I've used topo maps, a compass and many hours studying topos and aerial photos of my hunt areas. I've only gotten turned around once and had to spend one night on the ground.....kinda exhilarating! I am thinking about getting one of the apps for my phone this year and downloading the maps of my area to use offline, but I have more research to do on that. My partner has a GPS, so that'll help me make it back to camp.

* FIND FRESH ELK SIGN BEFORE YOU HUNT! One thing I've learned is that with a limited number of days to chase them, it is best to find them first. They can, and often do cover a lot of acreage in their daily comings and goings. Way more than whitetails, generally. My first couple of elk hunts I spent far too much time hunting right away. I've since learned to find them first and then strategize about how to get within shooting distance.

* Other than talking, noise doesn't seem to scare elk off until you're in shooting range and they can't locate another elk. I've had several elk, both cows and bulls, close the gap on me just from hearing me walk on game trails or through the timber. So you do need to keep your eyes up. I mostly hunt dark timber and I'll walk a ways, stop and watch for a minute then glass a bit. If I don't see or hear anything Ill pick my next stopping point and move pretty quickly to it. You'll be shocked when you see how fast elk move through blowdowns and on steep slopes. They are used to hearing the sounds associated with faster movement and it doesn't seem to alarm them.

* Calling: I've had various degrees of success calling with cow sounds and bugles, but am not confident enough to give much advice on it. There is a bunch of info out there to be found and I would suggest you learn some basic stuff and practice. The best results I've had is 1) simply mimicking what sounds I hear them make and 2) making as weak a sounding bugle as I can when a bull bugles near me. They seem to want to come kick the little guy's butt. I know a lot of guys that are after bigger bulls have other tricks up their sleeves, but I haven't put the work into that yet and I'd be happy with any elk that isn't a small calf.

* Time: hunt as many days as possible. We're allowing for up to 11 days this year. I won't plan for less than 10 again. You can easily spend 2 or 3 days trying to find elk and if you have to relocate you're already down to just 2 or 3 more days if you just have a week total. Since we have to travel so far to get to them, I want to maximize my time in the mountains. My longest trip was 18 days and was spectacular.

* Be prepared to hurt. Be prepared to hunt tired. Be prepared to push yourself past previous levels of physical comfort. Mostly, be prepared to be mentally tough enough to endure those things. I've had 3 elk hunts where I was wet most of the time. I no longer believe in waterproof boots and have just accepted that I will be hunting with wet feet.

* When you find where some elk are bedded, don't blow them out of there by going into their bedding areas or letting your scent reach them. They will find another drainage to go to ASAP - and it won't be the next one over. Pay attention to the thermals and find a likely ambush spot where you think they may be moving to next.

* Trout: If you're going to be near any small streams, consider taking a little fishing set-up with you. I take a length of fly fishing tippet equal to my arrows, with a bead head nymph tied to it. During the middle of the day when the elk are bedded, I'll pull out a nock, place the thicker end of the tippet inside my arrow, replace the nock and I now have a small "cane pole". I'll sneak behind a rock or tree and jig the nymph into a dark pool. I usually catch 3 or 4 little cutthroats this way. I'll start a little fire, gut the fish but leave the heads on and then hang them over the fire with a green twig. In just a few minutes I'll have a tasty shore lunch that helps break the monotony of bars, jerky or granola. I usually take off my boots, let my feet air out and maybe take a little siesta as well. This really gives me a little boost and makes the afternoon hunt much better.

* Take a stumping arrow or two. You'll be amazed at how different the mountains feel when shooting. Our flatland perspective needs an adjustment. Plus, it's just fun to shoot - another midday break from hunting hard.

* As others above said, HAVE FUN!

* Deer hunting from a tree stand may never be the same. It isn't for me. After my first elk hunt all I wanted to do was go back to the mountains. It is so addicting that it is dangerous!

I'm sure I've got a lot of other stuff to share, but this post is long enough. You're gonna have a blast and not gonna want to come back to Texas.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:15:02 AM by Hackbow »

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:27 AM »
Awesome Darren!! I appreciate the info. I've got a GPS that I'll bring just in case. I'll mark the camp as a waypoint for sure as soon as we get there. I've been watching videos on calling but haven't bought a call yet. I bought some good boots several months ago and I've been wearing them so they're broke in good. I did buy a good wool jacket, but other than that I'm just planning to wear my normal hunting clothes. I'm excited though, just the planning is fun!!

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 06:52:11 AM »
I lived in Colorado for 30 years and spent a night or two with a pack on my back in the high country. I think what Orion and GLP mentioned about getting there a little early and adjusting to the altitude is very important! All the planning and equipment are for not if you can't hunt because you are too sick.
Get bamboo.

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »
I've heard lots of people say that about getting acclimated. We're hoping to have enough time to just set up camp and sort of take it easy the first day and a half or so. I've also heard that Tums or Rolaids will help with altitude sickness if you have a mild case. Anybody know if that's right or not? Also, Darren tell the story about getting turned around and spending the night out!! Sounds like a good learning experience!!

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »
Bring plenty of lip balm and way more water than you think you'll need if you're base camping. I've heard of the Tums thing, too, but never tried it. Also some guys get a Dramamine (sp?) script from the Dr to help. I lived in CO for 3 years and spent as much time as I could in the mountains, only dealt with altitude sickness once. Not enough water I think...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:06 PM »
I believe the med I used was Diamox.  Altitude sickness can end a hunt in a hurry. If possible, get acclimated before really getting after them. 

If you're in a base camp, use a cot with a pad or blanket under your sleeping bag for insulation.  You may be off of the cold ground, but there'll be cold air under that cot, as well.  Been there.

Never leave camp without your rain gear.  (at least a rain jacket)  The jacket not only works for any downpours you'll encounter, but doubles as a wind blocking barrier should you need one. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:23:51 PM by knobby »

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 10:30:56 PM »
Grab a cot, don't need to break the bank but coupled with a pad will give you a good nights sleep.

Stay hydrated....excellent suggestion above. Something about higher elevation that sucks the moisture out of you.

If your not in Elk sign move.....don't hunt an are because it looks good. Cover as much country as you can until you find sign. Hike in the dark as much as your comfortable with and use your ears.

Your bow and arrow combination is fine, we were all pushing arrows through Elk at that weight with 3 blades before we found out you couldn't.

Relax, keep your expectations low and hunt hard. Enjoy

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!! I went ahead and ordered a pack. I went with a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28. Not super expensive but will be a lot better than what I currently have and will work as a day pack and hopefully I'll get to pack some meat out in it too!!

Online GLP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 08:37:16 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track! One other thing is keep a positive happy aditude! And that goes for all in camp! Nothing will hurt a great hunt more than a bad disposition, and it only takes one. Keeping a positive attitude when you are really tired takes work. Dwight Schuh said a hunt is never as great as you dreamed it, it is never as bad as you think it is during it, but is somewhere in between. A positive cheerful aditude is the most important thing to take!! And have FUN!!!!   Greg

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »
I wouldn't buy a new pack for a single hunt.

As for broadheads, if what you have is working already it should be adequate for elk as well.  If your just wanting a 2-blade for the comfort of potential increased penetration, I would recommend a Grizzly single bevel.

For foods, they will depend on if your backpacking daily or working from a basecamp with not more than a day hike at most.  Freeze dried options are the lightest and only require boiling water.  Dehydrated options are usually better tasting and more filling (I really liked the Enertia Trail Foods brands but they went under) and there's a lot of dehydrated stuff at typical grocery stores like instant Mac & Cheese but packaging can be pretty bulky from grocery stores.  If you never really need to pack the food in/out, I'd say get a cooler and live like a king with meat and potatoes at every meal.

For sleeping in a canvas wall tent, ditch a ground sleeping pad and invest in a quality cot.  They are more supportive and breathe better.  You can tape some reflectix insulation rolls to the bottom side to trap heat if its too cold underneath you and not have the troubles of all the rustling.  If you plan to backpack in for overnighters from base camp, I've had good luck with ThermaRest self inflating sleeping pads.  They weren't more supportive than cheaper options but they seemed to insulate from the cold ground really well.  They have lost their patent since I was into backpacking and I have no clue how the off-brands do in comparison but they may be worth researching/looking into for infrequent use.  Some off brand stuff like the Ozark Trails versions of Yeti cups or non-Yeti brand coolers with similar designs really do offer comparable performance for a fraction of the pricetag.

For elk, your likely to spend a good bit of time glassing and calling.  I'd want to make sure I had at least one backup call in your party just in case and I would want to make sure you have some glass that doesn't cause too much eye strain and fatigue for a full day of usage.  Whitetail hunters don't really spend the time behind glass to always benefit from the higher end stuff but elk hunters tend to use theirs much more.  What you already have may well be fine; just go out back and watch birds all day long to test if it works for your eyes.  If you find yourself with burning, fatigued eyes or headaches it may be worth investing in some new glass for the trip and enjoying the higher quality during all other hunting applications.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »
I ended up getting a pack and it came today. I bought a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28. It's light and will work great as a daypack, but the pop up frame will allow you to pack meat out as well. This is my first nice pack, and it's amazing how much more comfortable 30lbs feels in it as opposed to my other pack. The load lifters and hip belt are awesome. I'll get lots of miles in wearing it with 30-40 lbs over the summer.

I'll be hunting with my Primal Tech longbow and I think I've settled on just shooting my regular deer set up with Woodsman heads. I'm practicing shooting 1 arrow at a time from different distances and angles out to 30 yards. I can't wait until the hunt actually starts but I'm having a blast just getting ready!! I still need to buy a few little things. Some sort of lightweight water purification (looking at the LifeStraw) and some meat bags, and a couple other odds and ends will come up I'm sure. Other than that I think I'm ready!!

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 04:17:59 PM »
Great topic ryan, thanks for bringing it up. So two years ago I did exactly what you are doing, ill give you my thoughts for what its worth. Great advice by the way guys. So i was in SW Colorado the past two years and don't think I could tell you how amazing it really was for me... best thing ive ever done each year.

PACK...Glad you bought a pack you didn't need to but I did and the new ones are super. Like someone said if it doesn't have a bladder with a hose in it put one in it. any pack could be modified to carry this. staying hydrated is huge and this makes is so much more convenient. I started each day with a huge bladder of water and drank it all dat the weight was worth it to me and this let me keep the filter at camp. Your going to carry more gear out west than at home at least I did. That being said don't carry a bunch of stuff you don't need weight goes up fast... a hatchet is nice but do you need it? you get the idea. I did many bag dumps I'm talking dump all the shit out and reevaluate what I was humping around looking for the lightest daily load. that being said there are things you may never use I think you should carry every day. 1) Game bags. its easy to take a good wonder off the beaten path. if its hot you want to break that elk down and get it to cooling asap not wonder back to camp first. 2) ground tarp. I used a thick 5x5 piece of plastic to put elk pieces on as you take that big animal apart this was very useful. Ive seen guys use a space blanket and its lighter. 3) good head lamp. for after dark hands free climbing or taking an elk apart. 4) a real navigation compass reguardless or what your primary navigation device is. 5) plastic bag for small game meat or fish cought while hunting. 

FOOD* Every morning I left camp or the truck I had eaten breakfast and had a full bladder of water and food for the entire day that didn't need cooking. Maybe I will not hunt all day but if I want to I can. a Ziploc bag of stuff I liked high in calories, a via instant coffee for afternoon. food can be heavy so you need to be careful. most days I came back really hungry and thirsty but I covered a lot of ground in good shape having enough callories. having these bags made up ahead of time was awesome. grab one each morning and go.
meals back at base camp. some times it was nice to take a hunt off and cook for the crew, make bread in a cast iron pot, big meal. other times I came back so tired all I wanted to do is slam water eat and get more sleep, the early morning comes fast... I bring food for both quick meals and slower lazy cooking.

GPS* go with a system that will work for you. Know how to use it! Its big country. For what its worth i love ONX maps on my cell phone. and I always had a real, good navigation compass in my pack. I truely appreciated being able to go anywhere i wanted then turn on something and know exactly where i was on a topo map... worth $30 a year.

Mule deer/bear tag. My first year i drew a mule deer tag and was excited about it but saw only some does but there were black bear every where. $$ spends quickly so now i would hate to be without a bear tag but dont get a deer tag. You never know but if you can get the scoop on the area your going it might serve you well.

Fishing pole I agree bring one cutthroat were a welcome addition to the menu but read there are limits and rules sometimes artifical bait only.

Shoot one* We can all dream of a big bull but i would recomend shooting the first mature legal aninal you have a chance to. You may not get another chance and you learn so much getting one back to camp and its so nice having all that meat I would hope you let the arrow fly on the first one that you can. It could be warm so have a plan to get that maet frozen. research a processer if you have to thats fine they will cut it all grind what you want. I would have rather done all that my self but with no freezer how do you?

Camera* everyone is different with this but its so nice to capture the memories you will make on this trip. consider it. I also kept a daily journal... loved it!

Calling* practice before you go! My first year I felt like I was hunting ghosts... I heard them could not see one to save my life. Finally I did lol and I started to get it... still never called one in. My seckond year I called in 5... Learning the area and getting help learning to call better helps.

Boots* Bring an extra pair. I'm normally not big on doubles of stuff but often from morning dew boots get soaked it was nice to give a pair the day off to dry. have both sets of boots be the best you can afford. Great ankle support is a must to me. remember you are often in steep country nagigating blow downs rock hopping through streams with a back with some weight in it and maybe packing out a elk that is a lot of weight. comfortable camp shoes are nice. after all day it was so nice to get those socks off and let some air to the feet. rubber Crocks are light and handy and if its cold you could still wear them with socks on flip flops not so much.

This is long I know and I dont mean to come acrost as an expert or overly opinionated. I'm excited for your adventure and just wanted to share what worked for me as I just went through it. I was honestly scared to leave home on my first trip. its a huge undertaking but was hands down my best hunting adventure two years in a row. There are great youtube videos on meal prep and beg dumps for gear ideas but nothing with learn you like doing it :) Best of luck to you Sir! share your story when you get back, would love to read it!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:21:56 PM by Sockrsblur »
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©