3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Else?  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
Re: What Else?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
Great stuff!! Thank you!!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 12:27:54 AM »
"Also, Darren tell the story about getting turned around and spending the night out!! Sounds like a good learning experience!!"

Well Ryan, it WAS a great learning experience. I was hunting with two other guys and we had decided on a plan of hunting two different drainages that ran parallel to one another. We set a time to meet back at our departure point and had scoured over our maps detailing what our rough plan was. Our meeting point was a very distinct looking area near the top of a main ridge and we marked a dead limb with flagging tape. After all plans were made and discussed, we set out.

I reached the furthest point of my drainage approximately at the halfway mark of time agreed upon, made a wide arc to return on other side of the drainage and headed back. About 45 mins before meetup time, the weather changed. The sun was covered up by thick clouds, it started to spit intermittent rain and the wind became strong enough to cause worry about trees falling. I still wasn't terribly concerned because we had a good plan, and our camp was about only about 2.75 miles away and our trail off the main ridge was relatively easy to navigate.

I made it back to our meeting point (I thought) with about 5 minutes to spare, but there was no flagging tape. No biggie. I assumed the wind had ripped it off the limb and it had blown away. So I waited. After about 15 minute I got a little concerned, so I started walking in the direction my buddies had gone. It was then I got high enough on the ridge that I could see to the West and what weather was headed my way. I was now getting very concerned. I pulled out my phone and hand 1 bar of signal. I first tried calling one of my friends who had also brought his phone, but it went straight to voicemail. I then called one of my sons in Pittsburgh so he could look at the weather radar. His news was not encouraging and he suggested I start back to camp alone. At this point, I didn't think that was a good option, so I began yelling out for my friends. But the wind was so violent that my voice wasn't going anywhere. I did think I heard someone yelling at one point, but could not tell from what direction.

I circled back to (what I thought was) our meeting point at least a half dozen times. It was almost dark and and I finally thought I must be in the wrong place, so I made a vain attempt to locate the correct one. Finally, about 30 minutes after it became too dark to see, I thought I would get on the main trail and head to camp. I marked the ground with a big arrow made of rocks and headed down the mountain. Thirty minutes later I found an arrow made of rocks - I had gone in a circle without hitting the main trail! I realized that I needed to slow down, check my compass every few yards and methodically make my way along the top of the main ridge. I figured I would have to hit the trail at some point because there were some features that really stood out and I could use them to guide me.

After another hour I had still not found the trail and realized the safest thing to do was hole up for the night. I began searching for a spot that had a good blowdown for a little protection, but was not in close proximity to other standing beetle-killed trees. It took me awhile. During my search I saw a rabbit in the light of my headlamp. I figured if I was going to spend the night on the ground, I'd make myself a warm meal of fresh meat. I nocked the arrow, got to full draw and settled in for the shot. Then I realized, 1) if I hit it and didn't kill it I'd be in for a tracking job; 2) if I killed it I'd have to clean it in the dark with limited water for cleanup; 3) I could cut myself in the dark while cold and wet creating other problems; and 4) the blood and guts may attract a hungry bear which wasn't my idea of fun in the middle of the night. So I let my bow down, letting discretion be the better part of valor for possibly the first time in my life.

I finally found a suitable spot to make a suitable pseudo-camp for the night. I always have emergency provisions on me when I hunt in the mountains so I started "making camp". First, I cleared a big enough area next to the downwind side of the log to lay down. I then placed a yard and leaf garbage bag on the ground for a moisture barrier and placed a few rocks on the edges to hold it in place. I gathered up enough tinder and firewood to provide me with some warmth and a little comfort. I took stock of my food (2 energy bars, a baggie with granola, some jerky) and water (about 1 quart). I then got the fire going and sat on the log, ate about half the food, had some water and reflected upon what had happened over the last few hours and my decision making processes.

I turned on my phone (no signal to call or text anyone) and it was around 9:30, so I thought I should try to get some sleep. I built the fire up, gathered more wood for when I knew I would wake up cold and surprisingly drifted off relatively soon. Through the night I woke up 5 or 6 times and stoked the fire. I did not get much rest.

Eventually, it got to be that time of morning when the sky begins lightening up. It was still dark, but I knew each passing minute would allow me to begin seeing things. I got up and spent several minutes trying to stretch away the aches caused by the cold, hard ground. I made sure that all embers were extinguished and the entire fire area was covered in duff-free dirt and rocks. Took a leak on it it and poured half the rest of my water on it to make sure it couldn't reignite. By then I could see well enough to move out, so I checked the compass and headed toward where I though I would intersect the trail. It took me about 30 minutes or so, but I found it fairly easily.

I made it back to camp mid-morning and found my very worried and pissed-off friends in a not-so-jolly mood. I explained what happened and eventually they forgave me, but I cost them a morning of hunting and MUCH worry. i felt horrible.

What I did wrong: Too eager to hunt and didn't make sure of meeting place location. Should of found main trail while I still had enough light to do so - spent too much time staying in wrong area. Didn't have a verbalized plan with group in case of even like this. Didn't have med kit with me. There were 3 of us hunting "together" so I thought I could lighten my load. While I didn't need anything in kit, I could have. Also, it contains a mylar blanket and that would have been nice to reflect my body heat back to me through the night. And last mistake was even contemplating shooting the rabbit. I wasn't going to starve.

What I did right: Prayed a lot - I don't try to "make deals" with God, I simply asked for His protection and if he could keep the rain from getting too bad, I'd surely appreciate it. I never panicked. Even though I got upset with myself at first, I forced all negative thoughts from my head. I didn't try to forge ahead too long after dark - the blowdowns are dangerous in the light of day and many times more so at night. With the exception of my med kit, I had a serviceable, emergency, survival kit with me. I spent time reviewing decisions and planning my next move. It forced me to treat this experience as a test and I planned to pass it with flying colors.

Other stuff: A GPS would have all but assured this not happening but lack of technology didn't cause this, hubris and lack of proper preparation did. I spent mid-day in camp and a couple other bowhunters came down off the ridge past us. After sharing hunting experiences, it turns out they had found my little "camping" spot in the morning. I was shocked and assumed I must've been just off the trail. But they told me I was a long way from it and complimented me on the spot I chose in the dark. Of course I asked them about the fire pit as that is always a worry. They said it was completely cold - major relief. A day or two later we headed to another areas a few miles away and as we were breaking camp an older guy rode into the area on a horse to meet up with some friends of his. We shared the elk intel we hd for the immediate area and the discussion finally got around to my impromptu night on the ground. He said that he figured he'd had about a half dozen of those nights over the years and not to be ashamed of it. That took a little bit of the ting out.

That's about it. Sorry for the novella, but you asked!  :bigsmyl: 

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing Darren!! You did a great job keeping it together. I have a GPS. I don't trust it 100%, because here in some of the thick nasty stuff I hunt, especially at night, it won't always find the satellites. In more open country it does great though. I'll be sure to mark camp as a waypoint first thing and try to allow myself plenty of time to get back to a familiar area before dark. I'll have a compass and map as well. I always carry a survival blanket and a firestarter and some tinder. I'll make it a point to put together some sort of first aid kit too, better safe than sorry.  I got turned around here one time and was getting ready to settle in for a long night and didn't have ANYTHING other than a pocketknife and a rifle. Pre cell phone days and I wasn't looking forward to it at all. Luckily I popped out at the edge of a field and could see my truck in the distance before it came to that though!! I can see how walking out in the dark could be a recipe for disaster so you definitely made the right decision to ride it out!! I think we are going to hunt in pairs for the most part, but we will have a plan together too in the event somebody doesn't make it back in time.

Online Switchensticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
I second the advice of shooting the first legal animal, get a few under your belt then you can be picky. I am lucky enough to have good elk hunting about 40 minutes from my house, and have taken a number of decent bulls. The best advice I can give you is when the shot appears  visualize a horzontal line through the middle of the elk, and shoot the bottom half. Elk are impressive and big, it is really easy to shoot high.
My bows shoot exactly where I am looking, just sometimes I look in the wrong place

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Else? ##Updated##
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
Well my plans have changed somewhat. I drew a mule deer tag!! I plan on making Colorado trips a regular thing, so this is what I'm thinking. I can buy an OTC archery elk tag every year, but may not be able to draw a mule deer tag for several more years. Everybody I have talked to says this is a good unit for mule deer. So now my elk hunt has turned into a mule deer hunt!! I'm halfway considering taking a tree stand and trying to find a good area with lots of deer sign and hunting them like whitetails? Any opinions fellas? I've never hunted mule deer either!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:00:27 PM by CRM_95 »

Offline IndioArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 11:25:51 PM »
My advice—get in the best physical shape of your life. Like when you were 18. Seriously. It will open a lot more country for you and make the hunt more enjoyable in every respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2018, 03:16:40 AM »
I wouldn't bring a stand, get up high and glass.  Big bowls up high with, feed, water and escape cover, take your time and dont push a stalk it its not a high %

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
Rokslide.com

Answers a lot of questions.  Been once, going back in September.  As mentioned, tree stand deer hunting will never be the same.  The mountains move you.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
Diamox is the ticket, as mentioned. Start 3-4 days ahead. It gets your system working towards acclimation and can save the trip. I've used it in high altitude situations and never had a prob....'cept bein' short of breath. Don't get into oxygen debt, it can scare you till you get to recover. It takes time.   Have a ball man, I'll live the hunt thru your stories.
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »
I am going to assume that you have done all your homework and have studied the gear, equipment, scouting, etc. I have never hunted elk nor have I hunted in the Rocky Mountains. However, I would remind you to review the first aid kit and survival stuff that will actually be on your person when afield. Not the extensive kit that is in camp, but what will be on hand if problems arise while on the hunt. Be safe and post lots of pictures.
Sam

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2018, 04:04:31 PM »
Mule deer and whitetail have some similar behaviors but also some different ones.  I recommend you get a reference on mule deer and do some reading.  Sorry I don't have a suggested source but if you look around you should find something.

Here's a couple key differences.

Where whitetails tend to travel low ground, gullys and thick creekbeds, mulies travel ridges.  If they cross a gully, they will descend and ascend at an angle. 

Whitetails tend to bed in thick stuff.  Mulies like to bed on a high spot with a breeze and good field of view.

Mulies will go to water every day but it's usually not at a major waterway or large body of water but rather an out of the way spot.

Good bucks are where you find them.  They could be anywhere.  High above timberline or low in the brush.

A good midday tactic is to get high on a ridge especially on with mature Aspen growth and hunt it down very very very slowly.  Watch for shiny antlers of bedded bucks.  If you go slow enough you can often see their antlers move as they move their heads.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2018, 04:11:26 PM »
I am going to assume that you have done all your homework and have studied the gear, equipment, scouting, etc. I have never hunted elk nor have I hunted in the Rocky Mountains. However, I would remind you to review the first aid kit and survival stuff that will actually be on your person when afield. Not the extensive kit that is in camp, but what will be on hand if problems arise while on the hunt. Be safe and post lots of pictures.

I'm doing a ton of online research, google earth, etc. Unfortunately I won't be able to do any boots on the ground scouting. I feel pretty confident with my setup and my gear. One of the guys in our group has hunted the area a couple times so that's a plus, he does have some knowledge there.

As far as survival stuff goes, I always carry a pocketknife and a lighter in my pocket. I'll have a multi tool and a good magnesium fire starter in my pack. I have a Sawyer Mini to filter water and an emergency blanket along with a GPS and compass. I'll make sure to keep some food in my pack as well. As far as first aid stuff goes, I'm actually looking into putting a kit together now. You can buy a ready made kit but from the looks of them I can put my own together and come out a little cheaper.

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »
Mule deer and whitetail have some similar behaviors but also some different ones.  I recommend you get a reference on mule deer and do some reading.  Sorry I don't have a suggested source but if you look around you should find something.

Here's a couple key differences.

Where whitetails tend to travel low ground, gullys and thick creekbeds, mulies travel ridges.  If they cross a gully, they will descend and ascend at an angle. 

Whitetails tend to bed in thick stuff.  Mulies like to bed on a high spot with a breeze and good field of view.

Mulies will go to water every day but it's usually not at a major waterway or large body of water but rather an out of the way spot.

Good bucks are where you find them.  They could be anywhere.  High above timberline or low in the brush.

A good midday tactic is to get high on a ridge especially on with mature Aspen growth and hunt it down very very very slowly.  Watch for shiny antlers of bedded bucks.  If you go slow enough you can often see their antlers move as they move their heads.

Good stuff!! Thank you. I'm sure I'll learn a lot this first year, and probably learn most of it from making mistakes!! But hopefully I'll get lucky. I limit my tree stand shots to animals here to 15 yards and prefer 12. I've been practicing a lot at 25 for this hunt though and the absolute longest shot I will take is 20 yards, so getting that close is gonna be a challenge. Hopefully I can make it work.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »
I live in Indiana but have hunted with a rifle quite a lot on public land in Colorado so I won't give any bowhunting specific advice.  Get in shape.  Have some kind of waterproof mat for your feet when you take off our boots as your tent floor whether plastic or ground could have mud, water, snow, ice.  Get in shape.  Bring a few mousetraps, mice appear like magic when you open that first food container.  Get in shape.  I keep all my stuff in plastic tubs that fit under my cot, makes it water and mouse proof.  Get in shape.  Ask DNR if you need bear precautions.  Get in shape.  Mule deer are built differently than whitetails, esp those dog sized deer you have in east Texas  :smiley stooges:  Make a cardboard cutout of an av sized mulie so you have a mental picture.  Get in shape.  Mule deer often have this habit of stopping to look back at you if not too startled so be prepared for this.  Get in shape. If you get one down, dress it out right away.  Meat spoils fast even if air temps cool and dry.  Don't think you can gut it that evening when there is snow on the ground and it 15 degrees and come back at dawn to finish. We quarter our elk as it is easier to attach to a pack but you do carry bone weight. if you take it to a game processor, some won't take boned out meat. Get in shape.  I have found hiking with about 20-30 lbs of weight in my pack on the steepest hills I can get to in Indiana as the best way to get in mountain hunting shape.  Running and biking did not use the leg and back muscles the same way.  Hiking poles do indeed help, esp if you have some game in your pack. Get in shape.   You probably won't see big groups of deer unless does/fawns. Lastly, get in shape.

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2018, 07:10:35 AM »
Ha thank you!! I’m definitely working hard to be in good shape. Doing lots of walking with my pack. It’s pretty flat here but I do mix in some walks on the treadmill with the incline set high. Also now that school is out I’m gonna start hitting the football field and walking the bleachers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »
Early season you'll definitely see big groups of bucks.  If your hunting with a buddy don't overlook bumping deer to each other.  Like one guy circle and sit an escape route, while the other guy stalks him in his bed.

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 10:02:54 AM »
Ryan if y’all will be sleeping in base camp get a good comfy cot to sleep on. Getting off the ground will help tremendously in how well you sleep. I ordered a Coleman Deluxe for base camp  mountain house meals for spike camp, precooked frozen meals for base camp. Have fun, elk is icing on the Trip
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »
An elk is waaay larger than a deer.  You should be able to shoot beyond 20 yards easily.  Aim small, yes, but you don't need to be able to hit dimes.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »
Darren has great advice and many good comments.  Great thread.   Texas is way lower than Colorado and your physical conditioning will make your trip more enjoyable. Drink even if not thirsty.  I live at 5200 feet and hunt at 9000, it take me a day to acclimate. 
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©