3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Military Camo Patterns  (Read 795 times)

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
Military Camo Patterns
« on: March 20, 2008, 05:24:00 AM »
I had a chance last year to pick up some excellent condition ECWCS military pattern camo parka and pants for a steal.  How many of you use military pattern camo rather than the commercial patterns ie mossy etc. for hunting?  Is it just as effective as the commercial patterns?
Thanks.Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Military Camo Patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
I shot my first deer with a bow back in the late 80's wearing military woodland camo from head to foot.  She was all of 10-12 yards and never knew what hit her.

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
The classic military camo is what I have always used too...had some left over from the CAP days that I still wear and always seemed to be the most effective breakup in all our ground hunting which is how we hunt most, on the ground.
Worked extremely well in both wooded and in more open situations.

Surplus military stores are a great place to get them also for a great price.    :thumbsup:

Going to look into the ECWCS for the colder weather now that you mentioned it...Thanks!

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
We do have other styled camo brands as well and does work great too, but think the breakup of this military pattern has just been a winner for us as any other and my all time favorite for our mainly woodland hunting areas.
And successful too like Brian mentioned      :)    

(I would be interested to hear about others as well, good post!)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
The older style brown black tan green blobby stuff works great.... older style, that's funny because thats what I wore in boot camp and now nobody wears it.  Anyway, the newer digital USMC camp works well too.  Not as sure about the army stuff....
Works well, but my only caveat would be a lot of it has cotton in it.  Obviously not the ECWCS stuff, but a lot does have cotton content so be carefull in the back 40 or the backcountry not to get wet and catch hypothermia.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
The Viet Nam pattern works extremly well in our early deer season here in CT. when the woods are still thick and green and I do most of my hunting on the ground from natural blinds. Works pretty well in the spring turkey season also.
The pattern I really liked the best was the old brown, black and green pattern for the early fall. Similar to the stuff you see in so many of Fred Bear's photos. wish I still had some.  :bigsmyl:
Rich Potter

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
I used Tiger Stripe in the early 70's. Very effective in the areas I use to hunt back then.

I then switched to the old Brown Woodland camo when I started still hunting more, my buddy back then the Tiger Stripe made me look sorta "black" easing through the hardwoods.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Altthough there are now some great commercial patterns, after all the years of hunting our Badlands in North Dakota, my favorite pattern out there is the now obsolete 6 Color Desert Camo.  I have several sets of BDU's, boonie hats, and a field jacket in this pattern.

Not only is "chocaloate chip" great in the brown grass/rocks of the Badlands, it's great anywhere that has prairie when the grass turns brown...

I have to say the Army's new green/grey digital pattern is amazing.  We have the big state National Guard base just outside of town, so we see a lot of it.  I swear, those guys disappear when they stand still in a parking lot!

That pattern & color would be unreal out in the Badlands!!!!
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Jon you're right, I remember watching a special on the digital camo when they came out with it...it is amazing stuff!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
I have a digital camo rain suit I picked up cheap. It works excellent.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
I use the cammo that Shell posted a photo of.  Its cheap at yard sales and second hand stores.  Big side pockets make it nice to carry stuff.

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
i shot a 130 inch 10 point from the ground this year wearing military camo... never had a clue
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
i have done most of my hunting in old military cammo the best iv found is the old german cammo very good cammo for lots of different areas, its tough and comfortable.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
that extreme cold weather stuff is pretty pricey.

wow
Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Yeh, I know!  Got it at a thrift store in Los Angeles area (the only place in the country where this stuff wouldn't be picked up in a blink of an eye).  Get this, $12 for the parka and pants and another $6 for 3 cotton pants  out ta door and no tax!!!  I figure a 95% discount is a good deal- glad to know I didn't waste 18 bucks though (man I'm cheap). Hardly worn if ever.  They'll be good gear for some cold weather up here in the Sierras/high desert.  The visor on the hood and face protection on the jacket just pretty much covers my face and I'm invisible.
Sometimes visiting family and weddings can be a very good thing. LOL
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
I've got lots of woodland camo. I've been in the USAF for 24 years. I modified a set for last season. I added two leg pockets to the back of the shirt and created a game bag inside the back with buttoned side slits for access. I added sleeve pockets too. One sleeve pockets fits a thermacell. I got lots of room to carry everything I need and it did not cost anything but time at the sewing machine. I even added a tiny pocket at the knee to hold the tip of my bow when resting.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
I have the Swiss Camo for small game hunting but the old Desert Storm camo seems like it would be comparable to Predator camo if you added some black branch lines to it.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I am a fan of the newer MARPAT (Marine Pattern)  Its like the old woodland but digital.  I also have found that the 3 color desert camo the USAF still uses is excellent for grassy or badland type areas.  Its the color of my hydration unit which seems to fit hand in hand.  I still use the commercial patterns but almost always have something on that is MilSpec.  I love the parachute silk scarves used as a bandana.  Brings me back to my military days...
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
I started out with green and brown woodland and worked very well.  I use the old night time desert camo for early spring turkeys and groundhoggin'.  I like the new digitals but haven't bought any yet.  I unfortuanlty have jumped on the new age commercial train.
It is a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possiblitly than any I have since known.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Here in the Texas Panhandle the past few years, if you can look like dead, dry grass you got it made. Desert camo is great. You can even move as long as you lean from southwest to northeast and back in 25-35 mph gusts.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©