Author Topic: Skinny Osage Stave Questions  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Nathan Shaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinny Osage Stave Questions
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
I am new to bow building and am looking for direction on the stave I have in the works. The stave is 70” long, .775” wide at its narrowest point (5-6” from the end), .85” wide at what will be mid limb and 1” wide at the center of the stave. I don’t have any expectations for this stave. It would be great to get a 50# at 28” bow out of it but at the same time would be happy with a 30# at 24-25” kids bow. What bow design would best fit this type of stave? I am open to any suggestions and am willing to try anything.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Nathan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinny Osage Stave Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 11:14:41 PM »
How thick is the stave?  1" to 3/4" wide osage stave can make a 50# bow. I'd start at 66" and just start tillering.
Will you post a few pics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Nathan Shaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:46:01 PM »
Pat, thanks for the input. The stave is plenty thick, approx 4”. After doing a little more research I have decided to try a bendy handle. I’ve never shot a bendy handle bow so I may be at a disadvantage here. I have it laid out like this. Handle (1” above and 3” below center) at 5/8”-1” thick and 1” wide, entire length of  limb is 3/4” thick, mid limb is 3/4” wide and limb tips taper for about 4” to 1/2” wide. Does this appear to be some appropriate specs?

Nathan

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:04:38 AM »
Nathan

You posted a thumbnail picture, which is fine.

After you select your picture from your PC or phone, just to the right of the little window where the picture name appears, click ( Insert Attachment 1 ). That will make the picture full size in your post.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©