3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Douglas fir and a good razor blade taper tool?  (Read 1802 times)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Douglas fir and a good razor blade taper tool?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 03:53:31 PM »
I have the old Tru Taper jig that I use for fir as well as cedar. Doing it by hand I get tear out on Fir. But when I bought the drill motor accessories from the Renfroes Fir is easy as cedar. I believe there is an accessory available for that tool you have. If your planning on using a lot of Fir it might be worth the price.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »
Interesting.
I don't plan on doing much of them...just a dozen or so....for now to see if I like em.
Just didn't want to get myself into a situation of having a bunch of shafts I can't taper worth a darn...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »
I think you can order them from Surewood cut to length and tapered. That may be the way to go until know whether you like them or not.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
That's a thought.
I don't know the length though.
I sorta pick the spine and tip weight and trim the shaft to fly well.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:56:57 PM »
Give Steve a call at Surewood, they offer test kits in different spine weights.  I'm pretty sure they could fix you up with different spines and lengths already tapered for you.  I have tried the tru taper jig also on the fir shafts and it wants to splinter and split instead of shaving. 

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:50:39 PM »
This thing works great on Douglas Fir. No ripping out the grain at all. I have only done about 2 dozen but it is still really sharp. Time will tell how long it lasts. It cuts cedar like butter. (I think my previous post got pulled. Either that or I didn't hit "post". So I'll just say this was purchased from Custom King for $7.50)
Here is a sample taper I just did on a Surewood Douglas Fir.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:57:52 PM by Tedd »

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 09:44:36 PM »
If you do proceed with the tool you have please let us know how it works out. My tool will be scrap metal as soon as I run out of blades. Yanks you

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:04:39 PM »
Thanks Guys.

if I do go this route I'll ket you all know

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 06:25:35 AM »
The bearpaw deluxe tool works on fir shafts, I have used it and own one of the original shiny ones, It will eventually look like a washboard but not crazy, more grip for adhesive. Woodchuck does work better though, smooth

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »
Cool Thanks!
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »
Hand held taper tools work great on DF.  The key is a sharp blade and light pressure.  Push too hard or get impatient it'll start to cause problems.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

pavan

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
i bought a one speed plastic drill for $5, a 6" grinding disc, hose clamped it to a board with slot for the grinding disc, made a straight line to the grinding disc and then a 5 degree line to the disc with finish nails on the line as a  guide.   Then the other day, blast it all anyway, my good drill died while I was fixing my garage door and had to take my taper tool apart. 

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »
X2 what SlowBowinMo said.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
X3 on SlowBowinMo's comment.  I've only done a dozen or so but I've just been using the cheapo pencil sharpener version that 3Rivers sells.  Works fine.  Just keep the pressure light.  I'm sure a sander would be better but I can use up a lot of cheapo razor sharpeners before it's worth stepping up to the sander.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©