3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CA Hogs - Broadheads for <50# bow  (Read 907 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
CA Hogs - Broadheads for <50# bow
« on: April 11, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »
Well, having finally achieved some luck with a turkey, I signed up with the local shop for a hog hunt on the Central Coast.  I'm a complete newbie on hogs.  Never shot one with a rifle or a bow.  The guys at the shop were saying that the hogs run about 150 lb or so with plenty above that.  Having only stuck a turkey with a bow, I'm curious how well I can expect my setup to perform on hogs of this size.  For those of you with more experience, I'll take your advice on this one.

My setup is pretty simple -- 50# Samick Sage drawn to about 27" (45-47# at my draw).  Arrows are 600+ grains and tipped with Zwickey Deltas.

I messed up some single bevel grizzly heads a while back trying to sharpen them.  Never could raise a burr on them & ended up grinding the ferrule down trying.  I loved the way they flew & they seemed pretty darned tough.  But since I could always get the Zwickeys shaving sharp, I went back to those.  Is it worth trying to figure out sharpening the Grizzly heads (well, ordering a new set) for the more narrow single bevel or is there not really any appreciable advantage on game of this size?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: CA Hogs - Broadheads for <50# bow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
If you run into a boar with a shield you'd be well served to have a Grizzly up front. Razor sharp on a perfectly tuned arrow.
I think the current Grizzlies have a much better edge than earlier ones.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
I'm a big fan of Grizzlies and shoot the Griz Kodiaks (Tuffheads are great, too), but wouldn't hesitate to shoot a hog with a Delta.    If you change, make sure you are tuned as that is most important.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »
I think your set up is fine for hogs make sure your arrow is well tuned and that Delta is sharp.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
Seeing as how you can get Zwickeys shaving sharp, you might want to look at the Zwickey No Mercy broadhead.  That is one long, lean, green killing machine that comes in single or double bevel.  They are also sold in 3 packs so it's easy to try 'em without spending too much.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©