3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Considering my arrow setup  (Read 1336 times)

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
Considering my arrow setup
« on: April 12, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm entering my 2nd season hunting strictly trad bows. I have a Ben Pearson #50 recurve and shoot Gold Tip Traditions 400 shaft at 29". Standard aluminum inserts, and NAP Thunderheads at 125 gr.  I've only shot 2 deer so far and the set-up performed great. But I feel like the only guy who has such a lightweight set-up.

Can you guys A) find fault with my current set-up for whitetail and B) give me solid reasons for switching it up to a heavier front end set-up?

I shoot very accurately to about 22 yds at the moment and am very happy with my setup. But just always looking to potential improvements if they are out there.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Considering my arrow setup
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
shoot what you like. Some folks like a lighter flatter arrow some like a little heavier. I would guess your arrows come in at around 8.5 gpp which is fine.  I personally shoot for 10 gpp

The only critique I would offer is that your arrow set up seems a little stiff for a 50 pound bow. I would think a 400 spine cut to 29" would need around 225 grains up front to tune well.

Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
Thanks for the response, sir!

I know that my shaft length/tip weight is within the manufacturer's recommendations, so I should be getting good flight. I certainly have no reason to change - more just wondering if I'm in the dark about something  :tongue:

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 04:01:14 PM »
I agree with Longtoke.Manufacturers charts are rarely I  the ballpark.Tuning is the only way to get proper flight for your individual setup.If you don't properly tune your setup,the broadheads will not shoot the same as your field point arrows.

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
Sure. When you say "proper tune", are you talking about a paper tune? Bare shaft?

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »
A heavier arrow would make the bow quieter, if you aren't seeing a lot of movement on the tail of arrow when you shoot and your broadhead equipped arrows shoot the same line as your field tipped arrows them tune is adequate. I would guess your setup to be too stiff, but I don't really know your bow, if it's cut past center it will want a much stiffer arrow than any of the bows I shoot. Be careful how much you learn about tuning and arrow flight Dynamics, it will either drive you crazy in a couple different ways depending on your personality type! You'll either be crazy obsessed trying for perfect flight and geek out on it,  or crazy mad trying for perfect flight!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »
There is a wide range of opinion as to what is the best weight arrow to hunt with.  Some like EFOC (extreme front of center) which means a very heavy broadhead, resulting in a very heavy arrow of 12-15 gpp.  This has been proven to increase penetration, but obviously also results in a higher trajectory and is more difficult to shoot accurately at all but the closest ranges.  You are shooting an arrow on the opposite end of the spectrum, which gives you a flat trajectory and possibly less penetration, but probably adequate unless you hit a bone or something.

If you make a modest change to your setup, by switching from a 125 grain to a 150 grain broadhead, you might increase your hunting effectiveness, and even increase your accuracy, if other people who have posted are right that your current setup is too stiff.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
I think myself that your arrow is on the stiff side!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »
Thanks for weighing in guys (no pun intended). I think for now the simplest next step is to maybe buy some 150gr field points and see what happens. I'm fairly content with how my bow shoots currently. Most missed shots are operator error... But I have lots of time before hunting season to try some changes.

Thanks again.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »
I would  suggest getting a test kit of points with all the different weights. I think rmsgear sells one for about 6 bucks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:34:10 PM by Longtoke »
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
I shoot 49# and 50# Widow longbows and was shooting .400 Bemans with 350 grain up front (100 grain insert and 250 grain broadhead) to get good arrow flight. Bought some .500 Bemans  and started out with the standard aluminum insert and a 250 grain head, which according to the "charts" would be spined too weak. Bare shafts actually flew a bit stiff, but acceptable. A few weeks ago I added a 50 grain insert and with the 250 grain head and they fly extremely well. I believe I could shoot a 3D shoot with the bare shafts, but according to an online calculator I used this set-up figure out to a 38-42# bow. Play around with it a bit and the results may surprise you! Good luck and have fun>>>-----------> Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »
I agree that if it is working for you, you can stay with it. But I too, think the arrow is on the stiff side. I have a Bear Kodiak Hunter, 50#@ my DL, and I'm using a 29"Beman 500, 100gr insert/125gr point. With a 12 strand B55 string, bare shafts fly just fine. BH is at 8 1/4". I too, plan on using a 125gr broadhead!  Good luck on whatever you decide to do.  :archer: 
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »
I picked up a handful of 225gr field points this afternoon. I will shoot these for a bit and see how things go. That puts me 100gr heavier and would be an easy brass insert swap if I end up liking this setup.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to shoot a good # of arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©