3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chalking a file?  (Read 279 times)

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
Chalking a file?
« on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
I just ordered my first file from 3 Rivers to sharpen some 3 blade heads with.  I have never used a file for this or any other purpose.  What type of chalk do I use to "chalk" the file before using?  Also, do the "teeth" point away from the handle or back at it?  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chalking a file?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
I use doller store school/sidewalk chalk. A files teeth are angled so the file does its work on the away stroke.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I've been told that chalking keeps the spaces between teeth from filling with magnectically charged metal filings, thus keep the file sharper longer. Chalkboard chalk or turkey chalk work fine. Teeth point away from handle so that the cutting is done on forward stroke, opposte a hacksaw. But be careful ... it's amazing how fast you can shave 10gr or more off a broadhead with a sharp file. Just get the blades even and burr-free, then switch to a stone or diamond bar. Darn, I was going to walk out to the shop to check on something for you, but am trapped in my cabin while four big tom turkeys graze beneath our bird feeder. Spring is almost here! Dave

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
Hacksaws also cut  on the push stroke.

Coping saws and  traditional Japanese  saws cut on the pull  stroke.

The chalk is to keep filings from sticking between  he cutting edges of the file.  They stick because they bind in the groove, not because  they are  magnetic. Aluminum is  the  worst for sticking and it's not magnetic.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
If you want all your Files and Rasps to stay sharp, wrap them in a shop towel or rag, no oily rags thou. This way they won't get dull by touching other metal tools around your shop bench....ONE SHOT...  :)    :)    :)    :D    :D   (OLD RETIRED TOOL&DIE MAKER TIP)

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Thanks to all...that was quick!  I think I have some chalk laying around the house now that you mention it (kids love that sidewalk chalk).  I will keep it wrapped also.  Thanks.

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
I use the chalk from my turkey calls.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
I just rub a magnet over the file and that gets all the cuttings out.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Chalking or soapstoning a file keeps "pins" from embedding themselves in the files grooves, between its cutting edges.
This prevents gouges being dug in the workpiece, thusly, a better finish.
Keep your files clean, wrap them in cardboard, rag, or whatever to keep them from being beaten up whilst in the tool box.
Also, keep the file FREE of oil. Oil makes the file "slide" on the workpiece, instead of cutting cleanly. (Degrease your b/heads befroe filing on them.)
A quality file will give years of good service if it is looked after, so buy the best you can find. (Grobet, Nicholson) They are not really expensive.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©