3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace Height Ben Pearson Javelina  (Read 2212 times)

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace Height Ben Pearson Javelina
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »
Hi all,

Wondering if any of you smarty pants happen to know what my ideal brace height should be for a (70's) Ben Pearson Javelina, 66" #50lb @ 28" recurve bow.  I'm getting thorough in tuning my bow for the first time and want to establish a standard brace height early in the game.

Any help appreciated as always!

best,

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace Height Ben Pearson Javelina
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »
I have a copy of the 1970 Pearson Archery that lists the Javelina brace height as 7 1/2 to 8 1/4.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »
Fantastic! I knew the answer was somewhere in the TradGang group's data :)

Thanks much!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:40:33 PM »

I have two, and find they shoot best(smoothest and quietest) at the higher end, 8-8 1/4".
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »
Very helpful info! I'll see how that feels on mine.  Up till now, mine was set at barely 7" and I'm on a major quest to unlock my best performance. Thanks again for weighing in!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »
Also, while there are mixed opinions on this, I use a ten strand D97 with padded loops. Made it a different bow.

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »
I'm not at the point where I know what all of that means, but I just bought a new string Dacron B-50. Not sure how they all stack up against one another.  I read that your D97 is "For High performance bows only".

Can you tell me why you chose that string and how it made such a noticeable difference?

Offline Tom McRary

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 08:00:35 AM »
WOW, how weird. I just acquired a Pearson java this past weekend and was wondering the same thing. Cleaned it up and need to get a string ordered for it. It belonged to an older gentleman friend of mine who passed last fall with cancer. Looking forward to bringing it back to life after a long stent in storage. So much history with these old bow !

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »
Sorry for the loss of your friend... Owning pieces of your freind's lives is rewarding and I hope you get that old bow back in the game :)

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 05:34:41 PM »
I much prefer the feel of the shot with a modern low stretch string of which D97 is one of many which fall under the umbrella of " fast flight" I use very few B50 strings, mostly D97,BCY-X and the older Astro-Flight. To me, they give a crisper shot with less vibration and occilation as the limbs return to brace. I think they provide a more efficient energy transfer to the arrow and any increase in for is just a bonus.
These are just my opinions, the internet is full of horror stories about older bows blowing up from low stretch strings. I dunno, never had a problem with well built, padded loop strings after many thousands of shots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©