Author Topic: 68 in. Kennym bow !,64 in.,60in.,58 in. & mods & builds FHLB & R/D !  (Read 66441 times)

Offline Watsonjay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 68 in. Kennym bow !,64 in.,60in.,58 in. & mods & builds FHLB & R/D !
« Reply #560 on: June 20, 2023, 07:05:35 PM »
Hey guys as you see I am pretty new here and have only made a couple of bows. I am contemplating making my first laminate only made self bows and bamboo backed. Based off all the comments on here I would like to try the forward handle and will be ordering a kit from kennym. My question is this. Has anyone tried putting heavier glass on the back and lighter on the belly to get more snap or cast?  I know I have to trap the backs of my bamboo backed bows but those are natural materials. Thanks. Hopefully it isn’t a stupid question. Going to try a 58” longbow. I short bows.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #561 on: June 21, 2023, 07:41:43 AM »
I have heard heavier on belly, but I'm not sure I can tell any difference.  My hunting bow has .05 on belly and .03 on back (test) but didn't gain much that I  could tell from equal both sides.  It's real hard to tell what gets a couple fps, two identical bows can be that different... ;)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #562 on: June 21, 2023, 09:50:35 AM »

Wow I was surprised to see this old thread pop up, I haven’t been around for a couple years do to taking care of a family member , but Kenny pretty much mirrored my experience with different backing thickness on this design , I started out with the standard size as it gave me a good base line to experiment from the shorter bows are a little harder to tiller and hit your weight and there is a pretty fair learning curve from self bows to glass so the easier I made it the better good luck and post you results !
If you fear failure, you will never try ! But never except it!!

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #563 on: June 21, 2023, 10:46:56 AM »
My question is this. Has anyone tried putting heavier glass on the back and lighter on the belly to get more snap or cast?

From a structural standpoint this is the logical way to make the bow, but the experienced guys will tell you what these two just did and that it makes no measurable difference.

Mark

Offline Watsonjay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #564 on: June 21, 2023, 11:10:11 AM »
Thanks all. Just silly thoughts on my head

Online Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #565 on: June 21, 2023, 01:18:17 PM »
On an ASL I go a little thicker on the belly to defend against core compression and string follow.  Sort of trying to center the neutral plane.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #566 on: June 21, 2023, 03:32:59 PM »
Ritchie, good to see ya (virtually) my friend!! :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #567 on: June 21, 2023, 03:50:51 PM »
Thanks Kenny good hearing from you haven’t been doing any bow making but going to retire in October so pick back up then , you and Roy will have to retrain me (oh boy) 😂 I like your latest long bow post !
If you fear failure, you will never try ! But never except it!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©