3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunting in Kentucky  (Read 606 times)

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunting in Kentucky
« on: March 20, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
just wanted to let you folks know, I think the deadline for the drawing ends at the last of march. there are some really big elk lurking in the mountians of Kentucky. there will be over 400 tags this year. heres more info if your interested.   http://fw.ky.gov/elkapply08.asp

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunting in Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
40 to non-residents?  i applied...i figured for $10.00 & to be able to apply online was cheap enough...& it's a whole lot closer than Colorado!
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Yea Billy I didn't even know there was elk in your great state until this year when I had to go to Harlan county to bury my Papa and we seen several elk grazing on the hill sides.  Thanks for the heads up!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Deadline is Apr 30th

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I think I will put in for it, but if I am drawn, I don't have any idea about the area that they hunt.  But I think it would be a good trip, lots and memories, maybe an elk.  There was a story in the TBM on the first out taken with traditional equipment in Kentucky.  It sure would be fun & (work) to be the second one.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I just put my $10.00 in!  If I draw I hope to hunt the Begley WMA that's real close to my Mama's house.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
If drawn I intend to be the first to take one with a longbow.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
This year if you are drawn you will be asked to indicate your preferences for what area you would like to hunt. Then there will be a second draw to assign areas.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
I applied also, been thinking about it for couple years...this thread pushed me over the edge...thanks.  TBM story didn't hurt either.  Might have missed something...but I didn't see where NR tags were limited to any specific number.

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
I applied just might get luckey
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
sorry about the deadline error guys, I work with a guy that got a elk this past season. there are a few guide services set up down there on private land. I think he payed a fellow 400.00 to provide a place to hunt and lodging, thats really cheap for a elk. also there is thousands of acres of public land in the region (Daniel Boone national forest) and a few wildlife management areas you can hunt on if you want to try it yourself. the fish and wildlife dept. will provide any info you need to get started hunting, they go out of their way to help get you in the best spots. good luck,

Billy

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
are these elk mostly on public or private land.

doug77

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
Silver tip, thanks for sharing that great info.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
I entered last year for the 1st time about 10 minutes before the deadline - got drawn for one of the 40 nr - got a cow tag.

Their is a mix of private and public - a lot is done on reclaimed strip mines. Several guides and controled access properties. If you get drawn, you get lists with lots of places to start looking.

Got a 3 to 4 year old cow 1st day with my DAS Dalaa 21" protoype. Saw a bunch of BIG bulls - would have loved that tag. Its not elk hunting like Ive heard the west is, but I had a great time and have a full freezer. And got the fever to go west soon as well.

Steve

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
both Doug, they stocked them several years ago. they stocked only on public land but the herd has grown so much they are all over down there. they tried to control the area they are in but the elk have did much better than expected. I read that Tennesee is also starting a herd this year or next. I would say that they are getting some over flow from KY Elk already.
 I also am into native american artifact collecting and study and have been on alot of permited digs, Ive found bones of Elk as far down as 4 feet in the ground and that puts them here in the early Archiac period. Alot of people dont know but Elk was once native to this area, and I was glad to see them start the program. But they are getting worried about controling the herd. I'd say that they will be letting out alot more tags in the comming years.

Billy

Billy

Offline c ott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Don't forget as well, that even if you don't get drawn but have a deer permit and pay for the elk tag there are some areas where you can use that tag on elk that have wandered outside the reintroduction zone....check specifics.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
Okay and applied, I'm in the lottery for Elk, I was also going to apply for nonresident deer license, but I didn't know if the Elk season was the same time as the deer.  So I didn't apply for the antlerless deer license.

It doesn't look like it would be as rigorous of a hunt as it would be in Colorado or Idaho.  Don't get me wrong not taken it lightly.  But I will enjoy, if I get picked. WOW that would be nice.

It would also be nice, because it looks pretty economical, for a guided hunt, it also wouldn't be bad to have two or three others, and have trad. camp.

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
I applied also now we just wait & hope their is some KY trad ganger's that want to tag along with us non-residents if we draw. Thank's for the help.

doug77

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »
Ky Pics

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Steve congrat's on the elk I would be more than happy with that. how about some detail's of the hunt

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©