3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Hill-style quiver  (Read 1028 times)

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on Hill-style quiver
« on: February 09, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
I was just looking at some of the pictures of Hill's quiver in a couple of books I have and noticed how really flexible his quivers were. They were almost like a loose sack as opposed to the fairly thick and rigid quivers that are the norm now. Has anyone tried a thinner and more flexible quiver and how did you like it?

Joey

Offline mongo45

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Hill-style quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I use a Howard Hill back quiver from Howard Hill Archery.  i don't think a better back quiver exists.  the quiver conforms to my back and the arrows don't fall out when i bend over to pick up the arrow i missed with. I pick up alot of missed arrows.
tm

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Yeah, bending over to pick up an arrow that missed the target AND having your arrows fall out too is NOT cool.LOL

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 02:31:00 AM »
take a look at the quivers I make in my post.  6/7 leather seams to be the right fit for a back quiver.  remember to keep it oiled and it will soften up........Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 05:16:00 AM »
I have a hunter quiver that is made by Mike G. He is listed on this site in the trad gang sponsors list under mike's archery leather. My quiver is flexible I have never had an arrow fall out when bending over even in heavy brush.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
Yeah, Stone Knife, that seems more like the old Hill quivers- flexible enough to conform to your back. Thanks for the response.

Joey

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Consider the stage of his career that Hill was in. I'll bet that the pictures of him in the real "baggy" type quivers were from his youth.

As his tastes and experience evolved he moved to slightly stiffer quivers which pressed lightly against his back and the arrows without "snagging" on his barbed broadheads...his favorite heads were barbed until the advent of his last commercial offering.

I've got a mid sixties, machine stitched, Hill back quiver that is soft enough to collapse around the arrows but firm enough to hold it's shape. Same quiver that Hill had been using.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Right-0 Charlie,

Hill's early quivers were quite soft, for the quietness sake, but many were too soft, and he had to attach a dowel to the outside to keep it from collapsing too much.  In the 50's and later, he went to a slightly stiffer leather, probably about 6 oz. or so, which solved the problem.  On his laced quivers, he just laced a stiff piece of sole leather to the bottom and that kept the bottom from collapsing too much.  With the machine stitched quivers, HH Archery put a stiffer piece of leather around the bottom to keep the leather from collapsing.....Swinehart used this kind of quiver, and yours is probably the same kind.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Exactly Nate! I need to get a picture of that quiver and show everybody what a REAL Hill quiver looked like.  ;)  

Even thought about getting a friend of mine in the saddle business to make one just like it for me... I retired mine years ago to save wear and tear.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©