3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Palmer Recurves Worth It? (w/pics)  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Are Palmer Recurves Worth It? (w/pics)
« on: March 20, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
I have read and heard many good things about the Palmer recurves, but there seems to be quite a bit of negatives too.  

1. certain risers tend to split

2. bolt holes easily crack

3. double carbon is no better than single carbon

4. customer service is fair at best

5. and they are overpriced

I know these could be isolated instances, but this bow is one I have been wanting to try.  

How about some input from those with first hand experience?  

How do they compare with the top bows?

Are they worth it?
Lon Scott

Online AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Palmer Recurves Worth It? (w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »
I've got to shoot one palmer.  It was a fine looking bow, but I did not care for the shooting qualities, hand shock and not near as smooth as others that I have owned and shot which include Black Widow SAII, quarf, DAS, proline warf, quinn comet, morrison(cheyenne and shawnee) and dakota by Rick Welch.  I like the metal riser bows, but the Palmer didn't hold a candle to the Black Widow or Morrison.  One man's opinion......

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:46:00 AM »
Im getting mine next week. I will let you know. The Dakota bow exceeded all my expectations. Ive been shooting that for the past 3 weeks. My .o2
Andrew

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »
I've shot a single carbon model and I had a completely opposite experience as AMB. I've shot and owned tons of recurves and the Palmer I shot was one of the fastest, smoothest, and quietest recurve I've shot. Brace height at around 8" was perfect.

I would rank it in the top 5 recurves I've had.

Mike

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 02:56:00 AM »
I`ve had my Palmer for about ten years now. Smooth, fast, quiet, with some work.No hand shock at all. When I got mine they were about half the price that they are getting now. Would I give what they are asking for them now? I would have to think about that.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:59:00 AM »
I owned a Palmer for quite a while, I liked it. It is a almost a carbon copy of a Bob Lee T/D at least they used to be. I would say it is in the top 20 out there. I have owned pretty much all of them out there, it was no where near as nice as my Blacktail, Morriosn, Schafer, Robertson, Widow but was a nice bow. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
I owned and shot a single carbon for a bit. It shot well and was quiet at around 7.75" brace. I'd still have it if I could shoot a recurve as well as a longbow.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
I have known Mike Palmer for a long time, spent time at his shop, and pro-shop when he ran it north of Houston, hunted with him, and learned a heck of a lot about traditional archery and shooting. He is one class act!

However in the beginning some of the complaints were somewhat valid.  I have owned two Palmers, and would still have them if it were not for the fact that I switched to my left hand.  

The most common complainant that I have heard was regarding customer service.  Reaching Mike can be a problem, but that is due to the fact that his bows are in such demand, and he guides a Trophy Whitetail, hog, javelina, and turkey operation in South Texas.  

This problem is not new to single operation bowyers, one guy doing everything.  It is one of the reasons I love Black Widow so much, there will always be someone home to talk to you.

I too have owned most of the most popular bows out there.  While Mikes bows are not for everyone, I found them both shooter friendly, fast(if that is all that important to the you) and durable.  Did I think they were the best, well that is relative.  I only shoot one brand of bow now, took me forty years to find the right one for me.  Oh the other hand, I know a lot of guys in my neck of the woods that feel the same way about Mike's bows.

I guess I would rate them in the two ten to twenty of custom made bows available.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
I have owned 6 different Palmers. They varied greatly in speed. My best was a non carbon. Never had a double, but some were singles. I really liked two of them, the others were turned over quickly. I kept the top two for about four years until I got a Fedora which quickly replaced even my favorite.

That said they are nice bows, but due to the high variability I would stick to the used market so you don't lose a bunch if you get one that doesn't meet your expectations.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
I own two Palmers and extra limbs.I bought all used so, there would not be any customer service that I could report on.I couldn't be any happier.I've owned Morrisons and they are very nice bows,but I like and shoot the Palmers better.I have both single carbon and regular laminate limbs and can't tell much difference between the two although I perfer the regular.I've owned alot of other bows and find the Palmers very smooth,quiet(both in sound and the hand)and very fast.These are my perfered bow for everyday and hunting.  Thanks,  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
My 2 cents:  If you find a good deal on a used one, I'd say get it if you want one.  I have shot a few, very similar to a Bob Lee, but not nearly as smooth or shootable, IMHO.  As someone said above, this seems to vary considerably from bow to bow, and I know people who like them very much.  However, I would not order a bow from Palmer.  I had a very negative experience with him in the past: never got my bow or my deposit back.  Negative feedback on his customer service seems to greatly exceed the positive, from what I've read, so I guess I'm not the only one.  You pays your money and you takes your chances. . .Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
I've had good luck with Palmers. I prefer the single carbon to the double myself. As far as customer service, I'm one of the lucky ones, Nancy has always gotten right back to me. Always have my eye open for a single carbon 60".
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline rockz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
My Palmer is an awesome shooter. It is a non carbon and is the best shooting bow I have shot.
I have shot many types of bows,  since I used to have archery business.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
I have only shot one Palmer and was really impressed with it. So, impressed that I ordered my son one for his birthday.

As for customer service I have always had my emails returned within a day or two from Nancy. She has always answered all my questions and the whole order process was a pleasure.

My boy should be getting his bow in about a week or so.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
He is going to be one happy boy Chris.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
I have a 60" single carbon and 60" double carbon.  They both draw smoothly, their plenty fast and accurate.  They're relatively quiet with a little effort and the finish is great too.  I've had mine for 5-6 years without any problems.  My son also has a 62" single carbon that shoots great. Mike and Nancy have always treated me kindly and Mike even treated me to lunch on one occasion when I visited his shop.  I would highly recommend his bows.  I want a new trad slam but I don't think it will make me a better shooter to justify the expense.  They sure are pretty though.
Moon

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
I have a palmer double carbon classic. It is fast smooth quite and has no hand shock. It has taken many animals over the last 8 years. I think that it is a great bow.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
I bought a used single carbon a few years ago, it was a ok bow, when I was thinking between a palmer and a widow after that for a new bow, I tried to call palmer a few times and it took them a MONTH to get back with me, I had already ordered a widow by then and darn glad I did, I am not going to deal with a person who has that attitude about my buisness and my hard earned money.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
I am on my 9th Palmer. It is a double carbon legend.  Not sure why, but there was a time I was bit by the Palmer bug and I had 4 at one time. I would say half  of them had stress lines n the glass near the limb bolt holes, they still functioned O.K. but it was somewhat concerning. All have been used so I don't know if they were mis handled and that is what brought on the limbs to have stress lines in the glass. I have owned a trad slam but after inspecting it I sent it back to the original owner because not only were there stress lines in the glass near the limb bolt holes, the wood was cracked all the way through. I was disappointed in that because it was probably the best one I had owned yet. Just beware of the troubles that some Palmers have and search until you find one that you are happy with. I certainly give a look at every Palmer that goes up for sale, they are fine bows when you find a good one.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
I found a used one which the seller said was "too heavy"   :confused:  (not sure if he meant the pull weight or the physical weight), but it just came and I am going to give it a test drive.  :wavey:
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©