3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Palmer Recurves Worth It? (w/pics)  (Read 1418 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Palmer Recurves Worth It? (w/pics)
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
It will be easy to tell if it is a single or double carbon.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Palmers double carbons where desiegned with a mapple core carbon on each side with very thin veniers under the glass.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
The used Palmer arrived and after checking it over, I strung it up with a 7.75" brace and put a nock at 5/8" above center.  There were very few handling marks on the bow and was in very good shape.  I do not know the age of the bow, but the numbers on each limb are 7-1902T and 7-1902-B.

On the belly side of the lower limb are the only marks on the bow.  Does "Carbon II" mean this is a double carbon bow?

The seller said the riser is something called "Texas Ebony", but it appears to be a dark actionwood (plywood) or dymondwood, but I'm no expert. It makes for a heavy bow and I found it very stable in the hand.  I also noticed how similar the riser is to the Bob Lee bows.  The grip was very comfortable and fit my hand very nicely.

I tried several types of arrows (both carbon and aluminum), but found a 515 gr. Gold Tip 35/55 Trad (175 gr. up front) to be a very good one.

The bow was very quiet and at 15-30 yards, the arrows went where I am looking. I did not chronograph any arrows, but speed appeared to be average.

My overall impression is positive (typical for me when getting a new bow), so I will have to shoot it for a couple weeks and then re-evaluate.
Lon Scott

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
I have bought 2 Palmers. Both were purchased used. The first one was 58 @ 28, 62". It was a smooth shooter, but a bit too much weight for me. I ordered a set of 60", 52 @ 27", double carbon limbs from Mike Palmer. Took about 6 months to get them. I put the limbs on my riser and strung it up a pulled back about 1/2 way and the string came off the lower limb. Stung it up again and slowly pulled back and watched the lower limb and it would twist to one side. I sent them back and Mike made another set and they worked fine. I used the bow with the 52# limbs for about a year and a half and sold it and the 58 # limbs.

I bought another Palmer, used, that is an older model. It is beat up a bit, but is a great shooter. I believe it was made around the mid 90's. It is a single carbon, 54# @ 28", 60". This one I still have.

I like the non carbon limbs and the single carbon limbs better than the double carbon. I like the single carbon best of all.

There does seem to be differences between different Palmer bows in my experience with them.

Jim.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »

I thought that bow looked familiar!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
I went to ETAR to buy a Palmer a few years back.  Right after I shot it I tried a Foley and decided that was a better bow for me.  I have one arriving in a couple days from Oregon.  I think the Foley, Palmer, and Bob Lee bows are similar in design.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I have owned several Palmers over the years. My favorite was a tan standard non-carbon TD. That was one good/fast shootin bow! One I regret letting go of. I found that most of the carbon Palmers were a bear to get em quieted down. They are some hard shooting bows. Would I buy another? Sure, if the price is right.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
I really like my Palmer classic (bought it used), but it is a little on the loud side-seems like a vibration from the limb tips after the shot. Those who have had challenges getting them quiet, did you use bowhush on the string or moleskin on the string grooves near the limb tips?-I am considering trying the moleskin as I see Fred Eichler has this on his. Mine is very fast-the only other bow I have shot that is close is my habu and I have owned quite a few.
BD

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I changed out the string, took an extra one I had from my Silvertip and it was amazing how much quieter that made it. I did order a mountain muffler string for it-Will see once that arrives but so far the Silvertip string made a huge difference and I can live with it now. I also put moleskin near the string grooves on the limbs, that helped as well.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
I had a used non carbon Palmer that was hands down THE quietest recurve I have owned to date. It shot very well and was above average in speed. Enjoyed that bow alot, but ended up selling it when I got a single carbon Palmer (used). Any difference in speed was negligiable to my eye. All in all I had good experiences with both and REALLY love the grips on the Palmers more than any other attribute,although the two I have owned also shot right where I looked. Still have the single carbon but have been thinking about selling it to raise funds for another bow.lol Guess thats just how most of us trad guys are! Always looking for that elusive PERFECT bow to suit us!

:rolleyes:

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
The riser more than likely is action wood. I believe that almost all of his bows are. I know that all but one of the palmers i have shot are. They rank high in my book. I still turn to my pronghorn though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Yes, FerretWYO, I believe it is actionwood.  

By looking at the side of the limbs, I see two thin black lines...so it must be a double carbon.

If it's not in the classifieds in a couple weeks, I must still be liking it.  ;)
Lon Scott

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 04:53:00 AM »
Does anyone know if the traditional slam model is a single or double carbon?
bryce olson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©