3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little pig management...  (Read 3421 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
A little pig management...
« on: April 24, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
A good buddy and I, SteveR, went hog hunting a few weeks back.  Our area is currently flooded and it drastically reduces the amount of terrain the hogs have to roam.  It didn't take long for us to get in the action as we were creeping through the woods and I caught movement, a coyote.  He wasn't headed our way, but I have heard of people squeaking them in with their lips, I tried my luck.  As soon as he heard the squeak he turn and ran straight to me.  When he got to about 15 yards he noticed something wasn't right and was staring me down.  The poor fellas body wasn't even as wide as his head which made for a tough shot.  I figured since he was so malnourished, I didn't want to kill him anyway.. so I conveniently missed him. haha. 

This whole time Steve and I are walking along together and are having a blast.  It wasn't long after than and we got up on a coon.  We opted to let them pass as I wanted all my arrows for any possible hogs.  I did check my stalking skills on a few of them and to get inside of 15 yards was easy.  I think I could have touched a couple if I had wanted to.  That day we went on to see close to 30 different coons all on the ground moving around, it was unreal.  I had never seen anything like that while in the outdoors. 

A little after that we got on some pigs, four of them to be exact.  Since I had missed the coyote it was Steve's turn to shoot.  With them rooting right next to the water, I assumed their exit route and i started moving that way.  When Steve and I both were in position, he let the first shot fly.  I hear the arrow flying through the air, but no contact to be made.  I quickly draw my bow and let one fly, I connected.  The shot was a little back of where I intended, but I knew it would do the job.  The hog let out a light squeak and started looking around.  He had no idea he had been bitten by a simmons shark.  The other hogs didn't like the situation going on and decided to get out of town.  While they were thinking about the situation, I was getting out another arrow.  I wanted to be sure my hog suffered as little as possible so I was going to try to put a second arrow in it.  While it was trotting away, I let another one fly.  If my buddy weren't there to see it all unfold, he wouldn't believe it, lol. 

From the impact of the second shot, he went about 5 yards.   After we finished searching for our arrows, mine passing through, and his passing over  :laughing:, we went to check out my hog and immediately noticed something was off.  When I shot him the second time, he squealed and it wasn't your typical squeal.  It just sounded different.  I soon found out why. 

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little pig management...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
He looked very poor..
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
If you look a little closer, you'll see something is missing.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 02:32:03 PM »
story will continue tomorrow.. another pig lost his life today...

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
Congrats..
You posted a thumbnail picture, which is fine.

After you select your picture from your PC or phone, just to the right of the little window where the picture name appears, click ( Insert Attachment 1 ). That will make the picture full size in your post.

Bisch

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
That dang pig does not have a bottom jaw!!!!!!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
 :thumbsup:  So there really are pigs around there!

arrow30

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 06:13:50 PM »
 :o wow! must of had a tough time eating.  congratts! :thumbsup:

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:01:31 PM »
Congrats! Those are tough little critters.
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:05:41 PM »
Congrats!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 12:18:20 AM »
Good shot.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 01:39:35 AM »
Sweet....

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
Sam is on a year
.. got to love it!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »
Nice shot!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »
Glad you took him out of his misery. :thumbsup:

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 01:43:42 PM »
Congrats..
You posted a thumbnail picture, which is fine.

After you select your picture from your PC or phone, just to the right of the little window where the picture name appears, click ( Insert Attachment 1 ). That will make the picture full size in your post.

Roy,

thanks for that incite. 

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 01:44:52 PM »
:thumbsup:  So there really are pigs around there!

lol.. yeah.. there are a couple...hundred.. the water is way higher than it was with us that year.. and I do mean WAY higher.  It's almost like shooting fish in a barrel..

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 02:10:06 PM »
Congrats Daniel
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
Well, my Podnuh Steve was back "up to bat".  We were walking along our way just admiring creation when all of the sudden I see a pig at about not 35 yards from us laid up again an old dead pine tree.  I can tell he isn't in full sleep mode here as he is semi sitting up and his ears are perked up.  I pull out my binos and sure enough, his eyes are open.  He must've heard us walking up or something.   I can hear Steve rustling around .. I let him know the pig is looking our way.. he's still rustling around.. "Steve, be still", still rustling.. I look to see what's going on and he is getting ready to shoot.  I knew there was a good chance we wouldn't be able to get any closer so I didn't argue too much, after all, he looked very confident.    :biglaugh:

I watched him come to anchor and release his arrow.  If you've never shot at a bedded hog, it's a challenging shot.  The arrow landed just a little forward of where he was wanting slicing his throat up.  The Hog took off carrying a new piece of jewelry.  I knew he was done, but what I didn't know was exactly how many hogs were around us.  When he shot, about 30 other pigs jumped up from the brush and started trying to assess the situation.  I immediately went into hunting mode, Steve immediately went into recovery mode. 

I saw a nice sized hog in the group I wanted.  I am typically not a "trophy" hunter, but, I have yet to kill a  hog of any size with my bow.  I have killed quite a few 100 pounders, but nothing much larger than that.  I wanted this big white spotted hog.  Unfortunately, they don't get big by being stupid.  It seemed like this pig would always stay on the inside of the group, allowing others to do his watching for him.  I spooked him and the group.  When they ran off, I went to check back in with Steve.  Here is what I found.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 02:22:54 PM »
Daniel Check your email.............

Terry sent ya one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©