3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear aficionados  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear aficionados
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
So I have been dreaming about a couple of Bears for some time. One being the TD with an A handle and I thought #1 limbs, making a 56" bow. Either at #50 or #55 lbs. I had an opportunity to shoot a new one today. It was marked #55 ( which later scaled 57), the handle felt good for a production bow and it shot where I pointed it. I don't believe I would buy the #1 limbs though, 56" is not for me. 2 questions

1. There was a creak/click sound from the limb pockets about 26 or 27" into the draw. Anyone experience that?

2. When unstrung the limbs had some play in the pockets, shake the riser and the limbs jiggled a bit. Any experience with that?

Then it was on to the 59' replica...I have a 64" 47#  original so I had some expectations. :laugh: This new replica was a 60" marked 55# shot real nice, I actually loved the grip. It also shot where I pointed..... seems to be an unfortunate occurrence when I am scouting a new bow. She felt a bit stiff so we scaled it also, 59#  :o. ( quality digital scale) The guy scaling these bows missed the boat on rounding numbers.

I left with neither bow but still lusting over these beauties, I am pretty sure my Tolke's gave me the eye when I got home.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear aficionados
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Both of your two concerns with the T/D are normal. There are many different ways to cure the creak/click sound. For example, some use a little soft padding in the limb pocket, others will go a lubrication route with bow string wax. I have removed the locating screw from one pocket on one riser. Also, you need to be aware that the risers are all shaped by hand by different bowyers, so each grip will probably feel a little different. Like is always said, "It's best to try before you buy."

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »
Yes the best way to get rid of the click or noise is super thin moleskin or similar. Once you find and address its gone forever. If you lube it will come back at some point. I have no issues with mine once some TLC time is taken.
 Yea check the draw weight always 4 lbs off is a little much i agree.
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
I like the Bear TDs.  Already got good advice on how to fix the squeak problem. 

Regarding the 56-inch length.  Though the bow will draw more than 28 inches without appreciable stacking, finger pinch can quickly become a problem.  I have a 28-inch draw and use a 56-inch set up for turkeys out of a blind, but that's the only time I use it.  For other hunting, I use No.3 limbs or a B riser and no.1 limbs, both of which make a 60-inch bow.

Most of the bear limbs I have, old as well as new, are very close to the marked weight. None are off by more than a pound or so. An inordinately low or high brace height can decrease or add a couple pounds of draw weight.

Good luck on your choice.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
I had a bit of a tick with a limb once and just put a bit of lube around the locator screw with a Q-tip. Pitch blend or Vaseline.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 03:44:20 PM »
There is just something about a Bear TD.  As everyone replied above, it’s (noise/clicking) an easy fix.  As far as poundage is concerned, I own three sets of limbs, every set is off by 2+ pounds. 
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »
Thanks fella's. I gotta fever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©