3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Possibly" A new alternative for 3 D Target repair!  (Read 3165 times)

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Possibly" A new alternative for 3 D Target repair!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »
Pics
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
Pics
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
Okay so I tried to post pics for a sort of step by step of Keefer’s target build. I guess the pic size was too large for multiple pics in one post so I had to do them individually. I let Keefer explain the pics.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
Keefer-Was that an entire bag in the 5 gallon bucket?  Have you shot it yet?

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
Hermon Yes it was the entire bag and I asked Fred if he could load the pictures because I was at work and he has better knowledge on how to put on here.
 I just got home a little while ago and hurried up and went in my shop and shot about 18 arrows into it and it held up well.
Arrows pulled out easy and this thing is 100% cured with no goo or uncured foam.
 This was just a test to see how quickly it expanded and cured.
 I wished I took my 18/1 rhinehart target to work and filled the center but forgot to and I just figured what the heck just put in a bucket and see what happens.
  Now I put liquid soap on a paper towel and smeared all over the inside of bucket as a release agent like spraying a mold to release parts.
 I also ran a piece of 12 gauge ground wire and wrapped it around a spray can of paint to make a circle for the bottom so wire could rest on the bottom of bucket and help pull foam out of bucket when cured.
  This stuff got hot as I adjusted the copper wire and I decided to put a digital thermometer just to see how "Hot" this stuff got.
 Pictures show the room temperature when I started and the foam temperature when I stuck probe in.
  Yes it actually got 280.4 degree's F.
  After a good hour I had to leave and do some work but came back and took a long thin 1" piece of flat aluminum stock and cut around inside wall of 5 gallon bucket to help release it.
Glad I soaped the wall cause it took a little effort but popped right out.
 So I made a eye loop in the wire and installed a string so I could hang in on a tree limb and have fun.
 It hasn't chipped yet but only shot 18 arrows but I'm certain if hit on the edge it may break off a chunk but so far I like the results.
  Thinking that bucket foam can make a nice emoji man for kids to shoot know what I'm saying?
 :archer2: :goldtooth:

arrow30

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »
make a good traveling broadhead target if you travel a little ways from home to hunt.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 07:03:47 AM »
This is very interesting, I'm curious if a cardboard bow would work the same as the bucket, so you wouldn't have to remove the foam block.  I'm wondering how much pressure the foam would on the box as it expands. Looks like I have another fun project to try. 

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
Jason ,
  I was wondering the same thing last night and as long as there is a open top I would think it will just rise like it did in the bucket but I would wrap a good duck tape around box several times to keep it from bursting.
   If you try it maybe a 16 to 18" square box will do . What you see is one full bag that I poured in a 5 gallon bucket and it expanded out to a nice round top about 4" or so above the bucket.
   Maybe those Big soda bottles will be neat to fill and tie a string and let hang in the woods for bottle foam stumping?
  I even thought of laying it down and put a set of cardboard ears and a snout to look like a pig with some short stumpy legs would be fun?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:46:29 AM by Keefer »

Bisch

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 09:09:45 PM »
I even thought of laying it down and put a set of cardboard ears and a snout to look like a pig with some short stumpy legs would be fun?

I like that idea!!!  Put a little curly tail on it too!! 

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 06:24:54 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I'm always looking for new ways to build my 3-D targets.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »
Does it work well with a fence post?
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 12:34:02 PM »
Does it work well with a fence post?

If you follow the directions and put in a dry hole it should work but we only used it to set post rails and "Yes" cement is stronger but once you tie in other posts I would say Yes it will work.
  There is information on the "Sika" brand and other brands that are similar and some show just how strong it is "If" done correctly.
 What we liked about it we didn't need water,wheelbarrow, or had to wait to continue but just the several hours for full cure time.
  I started pouring the mix in the bucket and it was like 8:35 a.m. and in about 2 minutes it was expanded 1/2 way up the bucket and about 7 minutes or less out of the bucket and started to cure. A hour or so I set my watch on it and it was cured.
  The temperature of the mix got 280.4 degrees and "Hot" !
  I really just wanted folks to "Think" of all the possibility's  you could use this stuff on.
Main thing was if your range has several 3 D targets that can get through another season why not try a few and see "If" you can save them?
  I have seen it as low as $9.40 but according to how many bags you purchase but at HD (HOME DEPOT ) beeter check on line to see if yours has it first it can be around $11.45 or $12.00...If I am not aloud to post that please forgive me and I will come back and delete Hd.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©