3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cracks in Limbs?  (Read 391 times)

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
Cracks in Limbs?
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
A buddy of mine just bought this Bear Kodiak and it has some vertical cracks on the limbs near the riser. Some of the cracks look pretty deep and you can easily feel them with your finger. I think they may be through the glass. It was sitting in a barn for decades, so I have no idea the last time the bow was shot.

I had an extra string, so we strung it up and shot it, but I want to make sure it's safe. It's a little tough to see in the pictures, but what do you guys think? Also, can these cracks be repaired in any way?

He is also trying to get some information on the bow. The serial number is 13CC120. Does that mean it was made in 1961? Thanks for the input.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cracks in Limbs?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
i have a shakespeer root with the same deal, i want my wife to shoot it but im not to shure about it,  i have shot it maybe a dozen times.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
If it doesn't get into the limb only area but is on the riser, sand the finish and add  a few lams of dress up.  Finish it out and shoot that baby.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
That's assuming the riser itself is not cracked.  The larger riser area can absorb a fair amount of moisture and expand.  Which the glass does not.  It had to seperate.  It is worthless as a collector like this.  But might be able to be made shootable.  The question is whether or not it is worth the time.  No sentimental value?

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I can't remember how far down the limbs the cracks are, but I think they are fairly close to the riser before the limbs fully taper. It didn't seem any worse for wear after shooting it a few times. I wonder if he can fill the cracks with epoxy, sand, and clear coat. There really isn't any sentimental value. He bought it off another freind who's dad had it hanging in a barn for years covered in dust.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
You can shoot it......many have those vertical lines. If you want to fill them usa a better quality 'crazy glue'that seeps in.
Loctite 420 is recommended-(it is not the Loctite red and blue stuff for nuts and bolts). Epoxy is not generally used for those lines or cracks.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Loc Tite 420 is the best product on the market for repairing stressers...it will draw itself into the cracks...But it will also go all over the place,cause it's so thin.So do be careful.I use a fine needle syringe for better control....By the way thats a 1964 Kodiak rather then a 1961 Kodiak.And if you get bored shooting it and what to get rid of that old thing.I will send you my shipping addie.I will give it a good home....I have a factory camo 1964 Kodiak 55#'s that would just love to have his little brother here with him...I've hunted with the one I got for a good many years and it still shoots great.Darn nice bow there cracks and all.....bowdoc

Offline Chuck Nesset

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Follow bowdoc's advise pertaining to filling the cracks with 420 Loctite. You will have to keep bleeding the Loctite into the cracks until they completely seal. I usually build it up above the surface of the bow finish then use a small machinist file to cut it back down. Then I sand using wet or dry sandpaper as fine as 2000 grit then buff with a fine rubbing compound. Note: 420 Locite is about the consistency of rubbing alcohol so don't try anything else unless it's that thin because it won't get deep into the cracks.

That bow is one of the best shooting bows Bear ever made. If your friend really wants to fix it up and doesn't want to do it himself then send it to bowdoc and have him do it for you. He does great work and I guarantee it will probably be worth twice what he will charge when he's through with it.

Very nice bow and well worth restoring. Good luck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©