3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Hunting Southern Georgia  (Read 4093 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hog Hunting Southern Georgia
« on: April 28, 2018, 03:53:28 PM »
Just got done hosting a couple friends Joe Lasch and Jim Domaskin and then my son Zach at my lease in southern Georgia.  Pork in the freezer and had a blast. I primarily hog hunt these days as it's easy on my old body...weather warm,  Variety great to spot & stalk, ground blinds, or tree stand over feeders or just a small amount of corn thrown out to entice the piggy's in.  With four thousand acres of pines, hardwoods, food plots, and Cyprus swamps to roam around, It couldn't be better...tippit

My 56" 40#@28 Pronghorn hog bow with red hog sniper light.  Previously the little Pronghorn longbow was 51#@28 until I reduced it to my Old Man hunting weight...

Mr. Jake came by to say Hi probably knowing I didn't have a turkey permit...

Ground blind on food plot that was getting hammer by hogs...

Small sow and a big sow with tiny piglets.  If you look close, there is a nice 125# boar behind the sow on the left.  Unfortunately he never separated from the big sow, so I couldn't shoot without risk of hitting her...

Group of 80 pound pigs at a feeder...

This is how I know those pigs were 80 pounds...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:21:02 PM by tippit »
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Hunting Southern Georgia
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »
nice , congrats :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 04:58:54 PM »
Very nice Jeff, good fun and good eats.  You get a ricochet off the ground to get a penetration angle like that? :biglaugh:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »
Did you get him to roll onto his back, or simply bank the shot off of a rock?  Heck of an entry site and direction of flight.
Nice work 
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

arrow30

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 05:22:42 PM »
 :biglaugh: wow, rough crowd. congratts! :thumbsup:
 no matter how you got it in there :laughing:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
Pit blind?  :laughing:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 06:22:44 PM »
Nice

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:37:23 PM »
Actually I dropped him with a spine shot and got down to finish the job.  More pigs were coming in so I got back up in my stand.  You guys are pretty observant! 

We don't gut them just take hams, shoulders, and loins.  Buzzards find them very quickly even dumped in the woods.  Here what is left one day later...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 09:44:19 PM »
Few more of the attractions...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 10:01:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing the hunt!   Left the south land some decades ago now......missing all the fun....we still have ice on most of the lakes.....turkeys are gobbling though......

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
Looks like fun! Congratulations
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
Maybe Jeff needs to work on his arrow flight if they are entering from below.  :biglaugh:

I've heard and read stories of the Paradise for years and have always hoped for a chance to visit that historical property.  My chance finally came last month with Jeff.  I met Jim Domaskin at the Atlanta airport and we drove south in a rental vehicle for a rendezvous with Jeff.

There were some feeders that were being hammered by hogs, so that is where I started out.  I set up some palmettos to fashion a little ground blind.

Within 15 minutes of sitting down I had my first visitors.  Two good sized hogs accompanied by a bunch of pipsqeeks.  I was trying to get a shot and didn't mess with a camera at that point, but a good shot never materialized on that group.  Later that evening another group of small hogs came for a visit but I was holding out for something with a little more meat on the bones.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
Congrats Sir!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
Hey Joe,
I don't have your picture of the two you shot.  If you post it here, I can save it. 

This past week the gators were back...three of them with one around 12 feet.  Makes for an entertaining sit on the deck with your favorite beverage between hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »
Our visit was far too short, and before we knew it the last day was upon us.  We spent a lazy morning around camp with a big breakfast and too much coffee.  It was perfect!  Eventually we took a drive around the property checking for sign and trying to devise a plan for the last evening.  As we rounded a corner on the two track road we spotted hogs less than 100 yards ahead.  Jeff stopped the vehicle and without any prodding at all I eased out, pushed Jim out of the way, and was off on a stalk.  Jeff and Jim stayed behind to watch knowing that the odds of anything developing were probably slim.

As I approached from the edge of one side of the road the hogs eased off on the other.  I worked my way across the road behind a bush.  A smaller hog fed out from the other side of it and I took the shot.  The arrow hit solid behind the shoulder but without much penetration and the hog squealed loudly as it ran off.  The rest of the sounder got all worked up and defensive with much squealing, huffing and grunting.  I stood my ground and soon two of the larger hogs worked their way up within range.  As the first one passed broadside at 10 yards a placed an arrow directly behind the shoulder. 

I walked back to the truck with a grin on my face, confident that I had pork for the cooler.  The tracking job of the first hog was a little more exciting than I bargained for.  Although hit well it was still alive when we caught up to it.  After a third arrow it decided it had enough and charged me.  I fended off the attack with my bow before it finally expired in a bush.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »
congrats to both of you. The Paradise is one fine place to hunt. I've hunted hogs and deer there... never killed either. I did learn about south Georgia "ridges" down there.

If I'm not mistaken I have an arrow sticking in one of the lakeside trees next to the cabin.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline keng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
I sure enjoy these pig hunting threads. Looks like a beautiful place. Congrats

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
Sounds like a great hunt! Congrats Joe! Gotta love chasing hogs
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 09:08:30 AM »
Looks like a great time! Congrats!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©