3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heterodyning catwhisker ?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Heterodyning catwhisker ?
« on: April 29, 2018, 02:29:48 PM »
Does anyone who does this (1/4 down the string on top, 1/3 up from bottom) find that you soon start shooting the whisker strands out of the bottom silencer.  I can't prove the system superior, but I like it and I've used it for years.  At first I thought my tie-on material was too small diameter or the cinch knot I use was too tight.  I've experimented with different diameter materials and different knots and I don't have the same problem with the upper silencer.  It makes sense that the bottom one being closer to the nock set is going to be subjected to more "abuse" (linear travel with the sudden stop at brace) at that point, for lack of a better term.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heterodyning catwhisker ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 02:39:54 PM »
I tie mine on like that.  Haven't had a problem.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »
I've tried that spacing on one bow with wooly whispers.  No inordinate wear yet, but no more quiet than just putting both of them about 1/4 the string length from either end. 

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »
I'll occasionally feel one lightly hit me in the face when it pops off.  I don't get it, but I do shoot skinny strings and that may have something to do with it, but I've never had a problem when the maker ties them on.  Guess I'm not "holding my mouth right".   I suppose I could have also gotten a bad batch of whiskers....do they "dry rot" like rubber bands?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Bisch

Heterodyning catwhisker ?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »
I don’t use cat whiskers. I use yarn puffs. Only thing I noticed when I tried the 1/4, 1/3 silencer placement was that I started slapping my arm bad! Went back to the even placement that I had always used, and the string never hits my arm.

It’s amazing how little bitty changes in anything can make big differences in how things work!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:27:31 PM »
I use cats in the off set, have always used tiny cable ties....like for phone wire. Never a prob
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
String scallops
homebru

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©