3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Little somethin for the selfbow guys! (PICS)  (Read 459 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Little somethin for the selfbow guys! (PICS)
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
I got a little grief    :p     for having osage cut into boards(not just at TG),so heres a little somethin for you selfbow folks!!

Now,need some advice on splittin these,how do you like to do the first split? With the curve?

How wide on the bark side?    :help:    

I'll probably take these to Mojam,after splittin,cause I haven't been bitten by the selfbow bug!!(yet)    :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Little somethin for the selfbow guys! (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Can I have one?

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Kennym,

Here's ya a short pictoral, the bark side should be approx. 3"

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
The picture of the log end shows it not to be good selfbow material in my opinion. I use the tight ring stuff like that for BBOs.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
WOW!!  Mr. Krewson, ya got better eyes than Me!!  :help:    :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
Not an Osage expert, But Eric's thought was my first impression to
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I agree with Eric, but I end up making most of my bows from that type of wood anyway.  Lack of availability you know…  :banghead:   I will be looking for some good stuff at MoJam this year so everybody who's going and has it, bring lots of that yeller wood.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Sorry Kenny, but you might want to saw those into boards    :knothead:
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
I kinda thought that myself,glad you guys spoke up! Dang tough crowd tho!! LOL  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
Yep that one will make good slats.  How do the others look?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Eric...not to question your judgment as you've made FAR more selfbows than me (haven't made a non backed bow in probably 5 years or more).  

isn't having tight rings BETTER for selfbows?  ie...more homogenous structure of early and latewood???
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
Kenny kind of tough to see how wide the rings are going to be on an Osage log before you cut it. By then it is to late. What you see is what you get.After cutting and splitting several Osage in my life this is my opinion on tight ringed Osage. It is the second best selfbow wood. Wide ringed Osage is the best. That log will make fine selfbows in my opinion. Dean
Dean Marlow

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
A couple more are bout like that,rest are bigger rings. Oh yeah my post guy brought me 4 more,benefit of havin a friend who cuts hedge posts,he keeps an eye out for strait ones for me!!!! So I got a lot of work to do!!

The sap started up,last 4 were cut today and leakin out the ends,so I told im I had enuff osage for this spring!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 04:57:00 AM »
Those rings look good to me.They just require more patients chasing a ring.They all make good bows.  :bigsmyl:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
Sweet looks good. i just got done a ash bow yesterday. shoots great!
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Well cut into lumber I could be a bow from those.Left like that all I could make would be firewood.  :D  The only way I think I could build a good selfbow is find a flat,square tree one day.  :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
I went out to the shop and took a picture of some osage examples. On the large piece there are 20 growth rings on that blurred area at the top, impossible to chase one ring and almost like the log in the picture. The rest of that slice is OK but I really like a little narrower dark rings. Extra wider rings have made bows with mushy cast for me.

Of the two other samples I would pick the one on the left to make a rocket launcher. The one on the right made a good bow but I have found the narrower and crisper the light rings, the better the osage will perform in a bow.

One thing to remember for you guys who have just started working with osage is the light rings are chalky, honey combed and lack power fibers so you want them to occupy the least amount of area in your stave.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I will agree with the comments on the piece kenny posted.  More important than the width of the rings is the ratio of latewood to early wood; or darkwood to lightwood.  That's what indicates density and strength.  I like at least a 2:1 ration.  4:1 is better.  

Another factor is where the stave came from relative to the circumference of the tree.  A tree that leans will form thick rings on the "downhill side" and thin rings on the "uphill" side.  The uphill side is better bow wood provided it has a ratio of 2:1 or better and the rings aren't so thin that you can't chase them.  Anything less than 1/32" is a beeotch.

The rings in the center of a log are almost always thick, witness the center piece in Eric's post.  They very often are the best bow wood.  Young and spry but the diameter complicates things when you want to make a flatbow.  Plus pins are more common and cause relatively bigger problems.

You can make selfbows from osage that isn't premium.  Just make them wider and longer.  Use a whitewood design and you will still make a better bow than you would with whitewood  :)

Dean Torges has some great info in the articles section of his website, particularly on reaction wood:   www.bowyersedge.com
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Wow those are really narrow rings. I'm helping a friend with an osage stave. We had us a time chasing rings that were 1/16 thick. Good luck with that. The other is option besides board is do your best and back with sinew or rawhide but that's a lot of backings. Jawge

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
If I had access to a bunch of osage I might be picky too but I don't. I have made very good self bows with osage with thin rings, thick rings, bad early/late ring ratios and with sapwood backs and 50/50 sapwood/heartwood. With thin ringed osage if I can't chase a ring cleanly I back it with raw hide, linen or silk. I prefer self bows to wood or boo backed bows anyway.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©