3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to me Custom Kodiak TD  (Read 843 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to me Custom Kodiak TD
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I've seen the several of the Hunters. They're not bad bows, but the latch takedown and riser on this is so much nicer. like I said before, this riser to me is much prettier then the ones they do now. The pics make it look darker than it actually is.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I'am sorry I did have the dates wrong.That bow was interduced in 1997 not 1995 as I mentioned earlier.There may have been a few earlier...It was also gone by 1998 meaning they did only make it one year 1997...it was less expensive model of the two tone riser model.....It sold for 750.00 and the two tone was around 900.00...I personaly like yours much better and only being made that one year makes it even better...Here is a pic of the 1997 catalog with both bows listed,and new for 1997......bowdoc

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks for posting that Bowdoc. Pretty cool. I like it being called a Fred Bear TD too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
I had 2 Bear Hunter TD's and didn't care for either of them personally. The Bear Kodiak TD looks like a quality bow. Most of my Bear experiance comes from vintage bows (Kodiak Mag's, Super and regular Kodiaks and such). The one that has really caught my eye is the supreme TD. I have never had the chance to shoot a Bear TD. How do they compair to, say, the 60's era Kodiaks? I recently picked up a 64 Kodiak and it is indeed a sweet/fast shooting bow.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
I like the way this one shoots even better than the 68 Super K I had. Very smooth and quiet with the flemish dacron string. Fairly quick.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
No probemo V13...I really do love to dig in the catalogs to find certin bows sometimes..It's like treasure hunting...Trust me thats a rare model you got no matter what the price....Oh boy JL without wanting to get myself sued here....those hunters suck to say the least and do not even come close to the real bear take downs..I do have several T/D's I love....Of cousre you know we must go head to head on them 1964's at somepoint,you and I....I love those 1964 Kodiaks...But without getting into a 50 page post as to why I like Bear T'D's I will say this...By far without a dout the best inovataion ever in any take down....Never has been and never will be improved on the best of the best for me.Now I will start the 50 pages on the mags first...any length and weight for two reasons...bow quivers and fishing reel,stabilizers not a problem for 3,4 and 5 reasons,3 different grips for 6,7,and 8...No drilling needed....Oh you don't have the proper spined arrows....adjust the button for stiffer or softer spine....Should we go on....just kidding guy's...Ya gotta love em huh????? bowdoc

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I think it was the best takedown ever made.  Sure fits me to a tee 8^).

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
Cool looking riser! Congrats on that deal   :thumbsup:  

posted by vermonster13:
There is no serial number visible on the riser when the bow is strung.
???
I can almost read it from the picture you posted. In gold ink on the left side ...

I would be interested in the actual serial number and if there is a difference between the two styles in the lettering. Since long I try to figure out the exact date when mine was made. It is a two tone riser, as seen in the pic posted by bowdoc. My serial reads "TDH-265".

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
Have to forgive me Falk. I had surgery on Tuesday and the Meds are rough on my brain at times. lol

The serial # is TDHN-153(maybe TDNN, very hard to make the gold ink out against the riser)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
:D   oh, no problem David! I think I know how you might feel - as I am just now recovering from 4 days in a row with pretty high fever   :help:   no drugs needed to melt a brain - arrrgh   :(  

When I read my TDH-serial as 'take down handle' then I think TDHN fits better. No idea what the 'N' stands for, but the different riser types are obviously labled differently. Thats something I'll write down in my notes - thanks!

Does yours also have the flush gold medallion low above the grip?

Hope you will be better soon!
Falk

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
Can someone explain to me or maybe show me some pics how this t/d system works?  I've seen the bows before, but honestly never paid any attention to them.  Is it a durable system?  I was just looking at the repair kit in 3 river's catalog with the little springs and stuff, and was curious about the system.  Thanks...Mike

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Yes it has the Gold Medallion.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Very nice Dave. Do you still have the TD I shot in Nov?
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Really a good lookin' bow, Dave.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
Congrats Dave
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline bigsow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
The late Paul Schaefer told me the Bear TD system was the best made. He also said he would duplicate the latches but manufacturing them was cost prohibative. At the time he made limbs to fit the Bear TD in addition to his own line of bows.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Bigsow you are correct,Paul made limbs and couple risers.He did think that was the best T/D system ever..I sold two risers several years ago Paul built....He removed latches from Bear t/d's and rebuilt the riser to his own disigned with checkering in the grip....I also know at one point Bear Archery contacted Paul and he had to stop advertiseing selling Bear limbs...bowdoc

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Mooseman.. The 3 Rivers repair kits are normally sold to guys who own 30 year old bows and took something apart they shouldn't have.. Only thing I have ever seen fail is some of the later hooks.. Early ones were die cast, and pretty bullet proof if not abused. I think some of the late "Victor" models were plastic
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
Mooseman...the limb is actually held under the butt end of the yoke and latch system, and the lower end is positioned by a pin in the yoke.  It is very solid and comes apart very quickly by opening the latch and pulling the limb out.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Love the riser vermonster! Nice looking bow.
Congrats!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©