3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting  (Read 3807 times)

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 02:12:28 AM »
Chad, another note, you can use rocks but instead of putting them directly on the tent you tie cord through the stake loops and then tie them to rocks, the bigger the better, to a point. I really like the tipi set up for high mountain hunting, especial if it's windy, they can take a lot of wind!

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »
I have tried the bivy, tipi, one man, and utralite 2 man.  The 2 man works the best for me.  I have also gotten fond of the thick BA air pads.  I can sleep on them and not wake up sore in the various damaged joints I live with.  They weigh 16 oz.  It just takes more time to roll them up when you move.  I have an expo pack.  It all [tent, bag, pad] fits on the frame behind the pack bag, makes for a compact load.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 03:39:14 PM »
MAP... BA air pads? My biggest problem is hip pointers. I usually have to switch the side I'm sleeping on every 2 hours or so the first night. Every 30 minutes by the third or fourth it seems like. I have a full length 3 inch Thermarest but sometimes it just doesn't cut it.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »
OK:  I found the Big Agnes Q core slx three years ago.  They are an insulated air mattress.  I had the same problem you spoke of.  Now what wakes me up is the alarm.  They are 4 inches thick and spread the pressure so there is no pain.  You may find as I did the the wider one is better that way your arms are supported too.  They let me stay out as long as the food lasts.  My wife likes hers too.  We often camp together out of state.  I find electro lites to be very important in reducing fatigue and cramps.  The air pad and electro lites have greatly improved my extended trips.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »
Thanks MAP!
I took a look at those. Look great and only a little pricey. Weight isn't to bad. I have a weak mind and a strong back (when I sleep well) so I don't mind a little weight.

Do you put a fleece cover over your pad or are they fairly non-slip? I always have trouble staying on a slippery pad.

OkKeith

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dave Rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 11:43:37 PM »
When I lived in CO my Sept hike in 'base camp' was at 9800'. I tried a fancy hammock, bivy, and one man single wall tent to save weight. I settled on a 2 man tent and a Big Agnes Lost Ranger (down fill) sleeping bag with insulated pad was the best solution for me. Probably would have gone with a Kifaru tipi if I had stayed.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 07:26:24 AM »
I have a spray can of sticky stuff I got at REI years ago.  I think it was made by Thermarest.  A little bit of it helps with that problem.  I use big bands to keep a pair of them tite, so you don't fall in the crack between.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
alpine area or anywhere the winds can really blow have a sawtooth.  it just naturally bucks the wind as it was designed to do.  best shelter i'Ve ever owned for the purpose that your intending to use it for.  my entire sleep system is around 7.5-8 pounds 9.5-10 pounds if i take my kifaru stove

Kifaru sawtooth
two pieces of tyvek one to sleep on the other is in kill kit
big agnes Q core R5 reg wide
EE quilt

primo setup

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »
I have used a bivy........and won't do it again. Many good options mentioned already, would love to that kind of a hunt.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 10:26:59 AM »
Thanks MAP... i will look in to the sticky stuff.

Shawn- If you don't mind... tell me about your quilt. I have been unzipping SBs and using them in the same manner for many years. What is the construction like? How is it better than a SB? Does it have some sort of a foot box? I have been interested in these since seeing something similar for use in my camping hammock.

Thanks,
OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
Badger,
I looked at the tipi tents just now and really like the look of them. Very fitting to the surroundings!
This is a 2 person version (ie 1 man and gear) and comes in at 2 lbs 10 oz with no nest. Full nest adds 2.18 lbs.
I can see where no floor is a plus. It uses ground stakes how are they getting around that issues with the rocks?? 
Free standing would be a big plus but they are showing it not be an issue......

Silvertip
2 lbs 10 oz
About 5 lbs with full nest

This is exactly what I was going to suggest only I would eliminate the nest,you wont neet it in October.Trade that weight for a small T I wood stove to dry out.You can get a one man nest from Bear Paw Wilderness designs that weighs about 16 oz. for earlier more buggy seasons

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 01:22:50 AM »

Shawn- If you don't mind... tell me about your quilt. I have been unzipping SBs and using them in the same manner for many years. What is the construction like? How is it better than a SB? Does it have some sort of a foot box? I have been interested in these since seeing something similar for use in my camping hammock.

Thanks,
OkKeith
I'm not Shawn but I have an Enlightened Equipment quilt as well.  It does have a foot box,  you can get one with a permanent sewn footbox, or like mine,  with snaps to where you can open it up completely flat like a comforter.  It has a draw string closure when you snap it to completely close it off, or you can vent it if need be.  Mine is a 20 degree long/wide and weighs 22oz. Very hard to find a bag that weighs anywhere close to that that is comparable in price.  Mine right now is paired up with a Klymit Static V Luxe pad that is 30" wide and 76" long and 3" thick.  R value of 4.4. Makes for a comfy setup.  Pad is definitely heavier than my Xtherm pads,  but the width is so nice with the quilt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 01:31:21 AM »
My recommendation on a shelter: must be able to handle high winds if you're going to Wyoming's high country.  I live in N Utah but cover Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho for work.  I have a couple of BA Copper Spur tents,  the 2 man is less than 3lbs, the 3 man is less than 4lbs. I still regret selling my Hilleberg Soulo though.  5lbs but absolutely bomb proof in bad weather.  I also have a SeekOutside LBO base/vestibule setup with a stove jack.  I can use just the base open ended to glass out of or sleep in in good weather,  with a vestibule in bad weather,  add another base to make it roomier, or a connecting tarp and base to sleep up to 6 people.  Versatile setup for sure.  Lots of good options out there,  just make sure you get something with stout poles.  A lot of the lightweight tents get blown flat in high winds above treeline.  A little more weight in your sleep system is well worth it for a good night's sleep.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »

Thanks,
OkKeith

Im a tosser and a turner so I started using a quilt and havent looked back since.  I wish I would've had this years ago.  I use the elightened equipment quilt system and its awesome.   Its basically a quilt with a 12 inch zipper for a toe box if you need it and has a draw string bungie cord in it to cinch it up if you need any more warmth.  They are ultra lightweigh and keep you plenty warm.  The upper half of the quilt secures itself to the elastic bands that go around you pad.  the quilt doesnt slide around or move.   

lay down tyvek sheet for moisture barrier
sleeping pad with down and straps on the 4 inch pad
then quilt on top of pad

youll will get some sleep I promise

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©