3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to make my first bow, and have lots of question. using Eric’s tillering gismo  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pics of the limb showing the belly side and the thicknes of the limbs back to belly, get some of the handle area in the shot.

I think you're on the right track!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shrink or resize your last pic before the moderators cut it,,, it's too big!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok Osagetree how about these.
The first 2 are of the thickness of the bow

The width belly of limbs and handle section.

The width of the back is the last three.

Do these help?

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looking good KellyG!

Scenario #1 - I would suggest that you go ahead and remove wood from the sides of the fade areas to the lines you've drawn on the back. (Remove wood outside the yellow at the handle area) Probably more square shaped rather than my rounded drawing. Leave as much wood as you can, but get the fades shaped out. heat or steam within the red circle and bend the limb to the side to line up the tips.

Scenario #2 - No heating/bending,,, Adjust fade & handle profile to line up string into position. Red dot marks arrow position.

Just my two cents,,, you may want to hear from someone else before proceeding. I think your going to make it with this one,,, looks good to me so far!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks again,

That side pulled that way as it dried, and it was not much wider at that tip but it needs to be a little bit of an a challenge.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
If I followed Scenario #2 that seems like it would be a more center shot bow. However being left handed that would leave only the limb on the left as my top limb.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sorry did not think,,, most shoot right, but I'm a lefty shooter. Just thought you would be right. Nothing wrong with the left limb being on top is there?

Keep us posted!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Not yet. I was questing, as to the out come of the option. I think the slight twist in the right limb is the bigger problem for now. I think I will get that out and ensure the center line is still close to the same. Then decide the correct option.

Offline WhiteBoots

• Trad Bowhunter
I haven't got any bandsaw, either. My first real homemade bow was a hickory copy of a Rapahannock Indian bow made entirely with chert scrapers. (Hey, if you're going traditional...) I'm working now on a red cedar selfbow for an enthusiastic four year old.
I recommend rough shaping a stave with a hatchet and rasp, then finishing by scraping with glass - it works just like stone, but is easier to get a regular edge on.
My question is, given that many of the old bows had nothing even remotely resembling a rest and many others did, how do you all decide which to make?
"To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the
people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when
young, how to use them..."   -Richard Henry Lee,
Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic (1787-1788)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
I had read all 3 Traditional Bowyers Bible plus, Making Indian Bows and Arrow the Old Way, and a lot of threads here. I just choose a design that seemed easiest to do on my little band saw. I will probably glue on a rest after I ruff out the handle prior to tillering.  Just taking it slow and asking as many questions as I can if I am unsure, but this is my first try so who knows what will happen it is still early in the process.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok got some more work done. Cut out the handle, and I left it the same as I had drawn out, so basically I went with option 2. I didn’t need to adjust my layout once I placed a string centered on tips and just look were the center is with out any other work. In the last pic is of the Huachuca Mountains, I figured I better get a pic of the snow before it is gone. Today was a nice 70+. Ok what next.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Well it ain’t much but she is starting to bend. I will have to get the right limb bend more to match the left but it seems ok. I am using a rasp about 20 or so strokes on each limb. I also break that down to 10 one direction then 10 the other.   How does it look so far? I know there is a lot more work that has to be done but it is my first attempt and so far it looks like a bow.

The first PIC is the stave resting, and the second of course is it on a tillering stick.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looks like your getting it. Go slow a little at a time and try not to draw more weight on the string than what you want it to be in the end. By the time you reach your draw lenght you'll be ready to shoot. Remember by the time you sand out your tool marks you'll loose up to ten more pounds of draw weight.

KEEP IT UP AND KEEP US POSTED.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks I did not think it would be that much lost during the sanding. It is still stiff, I know a lot more wood had got to come off. I will post more PIC when it gets a lot more bend in it. I only has 3.5" of movement it the tip. I work a little then back off this keeps me from getting impatiant.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How many pounds do you think it is pulling at the 3.5" of bend?

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
I don't know but I have it at 4" and 50lb. 50lb is may target, but I need to get the draw length now 27".

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Try not to pull more than your target. Most stay 10 under target. keep taking off wood and working those limbs until you get it on a short string. Keep'm bending even.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Here are some more PICs of my progress. In the first the right limb seemed a little stiffer in the mid section of the limb, and stiffer than the left. I took more of the mid and even more off when before I started on my left again. It looked like it paid off and in the seconded they seem more even. I will get a pick of the bow relaxed so I can get some advice on if I should get them to match or leave them as is. The right limb will also be the top.

I think that I will make one more series of pass over both limbs and try a short string on them. It is pulling about 45lbs in both PICs.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Make yourself a tillering Gizmo. It will tell you where to remove wood.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=033419

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©