3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to make my first bow, and have lots of question. using Eric’s tillering gismo  (Read 3635 times)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Eric,

I will try it.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok here is one of it relaxed as you can see the left has natural slight recurve a d the right straight. The right should be the top limb because I am left handed. Should I try to get the limbs to match or just leave them?

I used made and used one of Eric’s tillering gismos. I set the pencil to the left limb since it seems to be bending more, and just look at the results.

Left limb

Right limb

Thanks Eric

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok I have it pulling about 40lbs@20”. Should I stop with the rasp and use course sand paper? I am trying for 50lb@27”. The tillering gismo also did not leave a mark on the limb either limb. I think they look even?

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
KellyG - just a thought.... While working hickory and it's starting to bend, like on a tillering tree.

When I get close to 1/2" limb thickeness I use heavy sandpaper. Same amount of strokes on each limb. After say 30 strokes I always put on a tillering string flex the bow as much as 100 times. No need to try a full draw mind you just flex the limbs.

Good Luck- you've done well already!
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks,

I am at 1/2", I was just wondering when I have to stop with the rasp and start working out the tool mark and bring her to the desired wieght.

thanks again.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looking good KellyG! I would go to the cabinet scraper. Use the scraper to remove the tool marks, then see where your at. You can use a good pocket knife at right angles as a scraper.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
thanks,

Osagetree I don't have a scraper, I may try a knife on  scrape piece of wood to see if I can scrape and not cut.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
A palm sander with 120 grit paper is really handy for tillering.

I like half of an old pair of scissors for scraping, really takes the wood off. That is a hickory bow in the picture.

The Gizmo won't tell you how the bow is bending in the fadeout section. You have to eyeball this area.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Eric thanks again, and yes that is hickory. Do you hold the scissors or knife blade 90 degrees to the limb or is there another angle used.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
I also use a cabinet scraper. I was given a scrap planer blade that I also like to use. Eric I like the thought of that scissor, I'm gonna have to try one now!
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
I hold the scissors at about a 45 degree angle.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
What is a Cabinet Scraper?

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
cabinet scrapers

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
thanks,

nope don't have them lying around no where. Just have to continue with the knife.

Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©