3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting pack suggestions  (Read 3630 times)

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunting pack suggestions
« on: May 09, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »
So here is my deal, I have two Bison gear packs.  One is the Lemhi and the other is a lost river.  I am doing a hunt 7 day pack in hunt.  I've hunted elk in the past twice but had the luxery of horses carrying my junk.
My question is... Do I just buy a good frame and attach these two packs to it, dump the frame when I make camp and have a smaller option for day hunting.  Do I scratch that whole idea and just spend the cash to buy a Mystery Ranch, Outdoorsman, Kifaru or Kuiu pack system.  I really don't want to carry around a frame the whole time but if I have to it probably needs to be a really nice one. 
I don't want to chase my tail on this deal.  Any recommendations are welcome.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting pack suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 12:26:20 AM »
You really can't go wrong with Kifaru in my opinion, we run ours all day everyday and it feels like I'm carrying less than my old day pack days and I'm actually carrying considerably more weight. They have tons of videos and podcasts on YouTube etc. Their service before and after the sell us legendary! You will find reasons to use the pack when you get back from hunting out West too, plus the resell value is unreal, especially if you put it up at the right time of year when guys are scrambling for a pack in July and August. They are build to order for the most part so don't dilly dally ordering so you have time to dial it in. Don't be afraid to PM me any questions, I'm no expert but we have a lot of their gear and they have a lot of my overtime wages.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:20:06 PM »
That's good advice, they are just sooooooooo expensive.  I'm sure they are worth every penny though.  I need to just buck up I guess.
      Today is YOUR day!

Offline Historybuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »
I agree with everything old goat says about kifaru.  It's been an awesome pack for me. 

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
i used a bunch of packs over the years and always had a "day pack" and a meat pack.  Had to go to the truck or camp to change out to start packing.  When we started hunting Alaska, two packs were not practical so I went with a single.  John had Kifaru that first year and I was sold.  It is the only pack I carry now and I wear it every day.  Straps down nice for day use and expands to carry as much meat or gear that you want to put on your back.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »
Dang you guys, can someone give me loan
      Today is YOUR day!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
I have no doubt that Kifaru is top shelf when taking everything into consideration. That being said, I was faced with a similar choice a few years ago and since I only chase elk every 2-3 years, and that is my only mountain hunting for now, I went with the Kuiu Ultra 6000. Half the cost, extremely light, comfortable at very high weight and room to spare on a 7 day, pack-in hunt. This year we'll be hunting for 11-12 days and it will hold everything I need. It also cinches way down and I use it for a day pack. I have been extremely pleased so far. Good luck!

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »
I really like my Exo Mountain Gear pack.You can buy  just a frame  from them as well.Made in U S A.Awesome customer service

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 08:47:17 AM »
I’m a new Kifaru guy and I LOVE mine.  It will outlast me easily.  I’ve never been a big hiker, but one of my buddies is.  He gave me a lot of grief about the price of the pack, until he tried it out.  I have a 40# bag of corn in it that he says feels closer to 20 due to the design, and he’s used several different big name hiking brands.
Pr. 3:5-6

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »
I would buy a Kifaru if money was not in play. If you need a real well made Budget Backpack that probably cost as much or more than a Kifaru and you already paid for once because your a US tax payer. Check out the lightly used USMC Marpat ILBE on the big auction site. They are made in the USA and extremely durable I figure if its good enough for a US Marine its plenty good for me. They range in price all set up from $60-$100.

Empty with no waste belt or rain cap mine comes in at. 6 lbs

I need to buy both the above still for mine. I used it elk hunting in Montana and it worked flawlessly.

-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline rufus_d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 10:03:53 AM »
My most important issue with all packs is finding a quiet pack. The ones we've tried are functional, but are so noisy in the oakbrush. any new ones that are truly quiet? Some claim it, but they are'n't. I've been using an old kids polarfleece that is not exactly good, but it is quiet. Any thoughts

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 10:06:55 AM »
Seems like you guys are dead on with EVERYTHING I have been reading about.  Exo, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu and Outdoorsman seems to be the ticket.  Now to look for a deal.  This body type isn't going to be easy to fit.  5'8 215-220lbs 56" chest and built like a fire hydrant.  A tailors nightmare
      Today is YOUR day!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 10:20:18 AM »
Seems like you guys are dead on with EVERYTHING I have been reading about.  Exo, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu and Outdoorsman seems to be the ticket.  Now to look for a deal.  This body type isn't going to be easy to fit.  5'8 215-220lbs 56" chest and built like a fire hydrant.  A tailors nightmare

That's all the more reason to go for the Kifaru, totally adjustable, three different size belts, the shoulder straps can't be minutely adjusted. Call them up and talk to them. Unless you have somebody available in your area that knows how to adjust packs, your would be best served to at least but the frame new, they will ask for certain measurements and the frame should be pretty close if not spot on, they are good at it!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 01:22:02 PM »
Here are some pictures of the USMC Marpat ILBE it was designed by a big name backpack MFG. ARC'TERYX

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »
If you watch the classifieds on Rokslide you can very likely pick up one of the top end packs for a decent savings off new.  There are a lot of guys who always have to have the latest and greatest, so dump their old barely used gear frequently.  When you're talking packs that retail at $600 - $800 a 30% savings is a big deal. 
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »
I won a tenzing 6000 as a door prize last year( hunt film tour).
 Nice pack, has a detachable day pack and hydration compatible.
 Not a cheap pack , around 500$ I'm told, but it is a well made one.
 I think the adage buy once cry once works here. The pack you chose will be an investment you'll use for years to come and I'd buy a slightly bigger pack than you think you'll need.  There's always something else you will want to carry.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
I'll second what Whip said. Also, don't rule out Exo Mountain packs. I love mine.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:43 PM »
I've got an older Kifaru longhunter and several ILBE packs.  Kifaru carries better and is light, ILBE is 90 percent as good and cheap.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »
Love my kifaru as well. Over 7,000ci cinches down small for day hunt mode. Money well spent for sure. Not to mention made in America...  call them, give them your stats, and they will get you dialed in. Yeah they are pricey, but I don't see you regretting it down the road. Good luck!!!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 10:11:06 PM »
Kifaru DT1 with guide lid and a few pockets  it'll hold all your gear and enough food for about 8-9 days.  When you get to camp it collapses down small enough for day use with some snacks kill kit and rain gear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©