3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting pack suggestions  (Read 3632 times)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting pack suggestions
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 10:48:35 PM »
I've got an older Kifar longhunter and several ILBE packs.  Kifaru carries better and is light, ILBE is 90 percent as good and cheap.
the changes in the frames in the last few years is substantial. I have Gen 2 Duplex and the current Hunter Frame and Duplex is considerably less comfortable than the Hunter so I imagine your ilbe is way way way less than 90% as comfortable  as the current lineup! Aron Snyder has made significant changes. Packs designed for military use are different than packs designed for backpack hunting, they don't have load lifter etc and don't distribute the weight the same at all! Are they good packs, yes, especially if you're young and bounce back quick, I'm not young!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »
All great info guys.  I have a ton of options to go over.
I do think I have a line on an Outdoorsmans Optics hunter Pack at what I feel is a steal of a price.  Thoughts?  Seems like it could work well for me. 
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 11:16:17 PM »
Why not just shop for a Kifaru frame, and lash your pack to it? Add in their cargo panel and you are set up for lots of hauling at 2/3 the price.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 03:20:05 AM »
The kifaru and stone glacier are going to be on the upper end on what your going to want, if you plan on hunting with a few guys and plan on packing out numerous animals.  There a big difference between doing it once, and doing it back to back to back.

The load lifters are huge, when it comes to carrying large loads.  Now if your going to carry out 50lbs at a time you can run almost anything.  Now if two guys are splitting a bull and try to do it one shot, then hunt the next day, its just not going to happen with something thats not designed for it.  I would say on average a guy can carry 30% more with a Kifaru or SG then just about anything out there.  I have not messed with the EXO but, it might move up to that level also.

FYI I would personally never hunt without being able to carry meat once they hit the ground!  Done it and never ever again!!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
"Buy once, cry once." This is true for almost all gear, but especially optics and packs. Spend the money once and be done with it.  Having gone through several packs over the years, I can definitely say kifaru is the best I've tried.  They also take care of you after the sale and are made in America.  I have also heard good things about exo and mystery ranch, but haven't tried them.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with the investment.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »
Stone Glacier.

Offline Skinnybill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 12:52:46 PM »
So I've never been elk hunting but plan on it next year.  Met someone last year from Denver and he said he would put me on elk if I come out. Now this may sound stupid but here goes.  Been following this thread and lot of good info.  This guy I met says he straps meat bags on to lightweight frame to haul out meat.  So what do you guys do that carry an ILBE or Kirafu style pack.  Do you strap meat bags on the outside of it?   Sorry if this sounds stupid but I'm Midwest deer hunter and we just drag the deer out lol. 

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 04:22:31 PM »
It's a sin to put ILBE or Kirafu in the same sentence.  Seriously though, I carry a large dry bag, that I put meat bags in and they go inside the main bag of the pack. 

If I'm hauling all my gear with meat.  My sleeping bag is at the bottom of the same compartment in a dry bag,  tent is strapped on the outside and clothing gets jammed in wherever it will fit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©