3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy bows/ trajectory  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Lakerat007

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavy bows/ trajectory
« on: May 13, 2018, 12:22:48 AM »
My name is Clay and I suffer from heavy bow syndrome. Seems every time I get a new bow and can comfortably shoot it for hours on end. It triggers me to yet want another bow with a heavier pull. At first this was not an issue, cheap low poundage bows were readily available to scratch my itch. However once you eclipse the 60# mark things start getting pricey atleast for this country boy. I'm all out of excuses for the wife on why I need a new bow, so I have one purchase left and I'm cutt off.

I'm well aware of the fact a 45# bow will kill anything in North America and its accuracy that kills now heavy bows. With that said, I like to shoot a heavy arrow and I like to shoot it fast. The heavier I move up the better trajectory I get and for my aiming style that translates to more accurate. I'm currently pulling 72# and it's a real pleasure to shoot and I have no complaints. Well, other than the fact it's painful to look at and a tad longer than I prefer. I bought it used from a man who must have had a spray paint fetish.

My question is if you could only have one last bow (atleast for awhile) what weight would you feel gives you the best bang for your buck?  It will also be my go to for everything from hunting, roaving, targets etc... I'm happy with the 72# but leaning toward a 75+. Got my eye on those mountain monarchs I keep seeing pics of and think that's what I'm gonna go with.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy bows/ trajectory
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:21:08 AM »
I like to stay around 60lbs . 55 to 60 . Anything less, and my flawed release becomes apparent.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
I have one that's so heavy I can't draw it but half way.  Not sure what the top end weight is at 28".  I'd gladly send it on to a new home! :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
I used to shoot a 78# longbow with no problems. I really liked it, but over time, I had to drop back in weight. Now, I shoot 53# bows. I have had injuries, arthritis, and age issues that have caused me to lower the poundage I can handle. 53# is the weight now that I would select for any new bow. 60# is all right, but not quite as comfortable as the lighter bows.
Sam

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »
My suggestion would be to go with a long [from your standpoint] 65# high performance bow.  You can get good speed, a smooth draw, and keep shooting it longer so the investment in a new bow is spred out over time.  I don't know what you mean by heavy arrows, I shoot 650 gr. arrows out of my hunting setups.  With the hottest of my longbows I get 180.  There are many heavy bows for sale used.  We all age out of heavy draw weight.  Put your money in something to keep for a while.  As a bonus your will shoot the 65# bow better than the heavier ones.  I used to hunt with my 72# Robertson.  Now all my hunting setups are in the 60# range.  Everyone has their favorites, among the bows that I own, the fastest are Border, Addcock, Saluki, Big Foot, and 21st Century.  That said the difference is 12 fps. from fastest to slowest.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
Jack Howard did a lot of research on bow weight / velocity/ trajectory , and found that upper 50's was the point of diminishing returns. I tend to agree, so that would be my recommendation, especially with today's high performance limbs and strings.  Just no need to work harder for no net gain. JMO.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 10:02:30 AM »
I shoot 50 to 53# when I was young I shot up to 80#s and I wish I hadn't, I'm now suffering from it in my neck and shoulder ,also shooting a longbow that had just a little hand shock has wrecked my elbow . You would be wise to go down in weight not up if you want to shoot when you get old and I think it is more fun !

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »
My heaviest is 60,and I have a number of 55 pounders. I don't know if these are considered heavy bows,but I enjoy shooting them more than my 45 pounders. It's much easier to get a good release for me.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »
 I'm trying to handle this delicately as possible I don't want to get broadside again..... but I'd like to know since the upper 50s let's say 57 lb shooting  10 grains per pound so that would be a 570 grain Arrow let's say running at 180 feet per second ......

and now let's take a 70 lb bow and a 700 Grain Arrow running 180...

Could someone please explain to me how there's NO net gain?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »
Shoot the heaviest bow that you shoot accuractly. If that is 75+ lbs. shoot it and be happy about it. I would shoot 80 lbs. if I could shoot it accurately. I can not though so I shoot bows in the 65-72 lb. range, arrows in the 10 gr. per lb. I say go for it. Also after a while you should have enough bows hanging around the house where the wife doesn’t notice one getting snuck in every now and then.  :bigsmyl:

I'm trying to handle this delicately as possible I don't want to get broadside again..... but I'd like to know since the upper 50s let's say 57 lb shooting  10 grains per pound so that would be a 570 grain Arrow let's say running at 180 feet per second ......

and now let's take a 70 lb bow and a 700 Grain Arrow running 180...

Could someone please explain to me how there's NO net gain?

Even I can do that math.  There’s a difference. 

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »
Like Terry, I want to be sure I don't put my foot right in my mouth here. No need offending any of my brothers. Shoot what makes you smile.

I shot 70-75#+ bows all through my youth with no injury associated with shooting them. I'd often compete in 3D shoots and won my share. I could shoot them all day as some guys say. Of course on a 3D course it's shoot an arrow, fiddle with scoring, pulling and moving to the next target where you wait for the next group to finish before shooting your next arrow, then repeat the process. I don't find that taxing at all.

Now that I'm 71 I miss those weight bows, but I still shoot sub 60# bows with control and accuracy. There are many pluses to shooting "heavy" when hunting.   Mainly penetration because all of our shots are not always perfectly placed by way of target movement or other factors. Even a perfectly placed arrow in a deer that reacts to the shot can be negatively affected by that movement. So it's not just about how deep in the ground on the other side the arrow sticks.

I prefer large multi blade broadheads for maximum carnage while still getting pass through performance. The heavier weights have always given me that.

There will always be those who don't want you to shoot those heavy weights for whatever reason, but I say if you can do i t and it makes you happy then knock yourself out buddy.
I'm not really sure there is any need to shoot 80#, but that is totally your decision.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 09:53:12 PM »
Anything close to what you are looking at in a skilled set of hands will leave a bloody arra skickin in the ground! What more can a bow hunter want? If I could effectively handle 70+ Lbs. you bet I would. I love a hard hittin stick. Mountain Monarch is a sweet choice. Good huntin :thumbsup:

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »
I am shooting 70 pounds and I really like it. I have a 66 pounder on order so the 64-70 rage i what i am comfortable with right now.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 10:34:08 PM »
First of all Lakerat, welcome! Nice to see you here.

Now, to try to answer your question.
I'm 53 and I've been shooting a 75# Blackwidow longbow for some years now. Been using nothing under 800-850 grain wooden arrows all that time too.

Todays heavy bows simply shoot heavier arrows faster and flatter. I like what Charlie said re big broadheads too.

Trajectory wise, at hunting ranges I've never found heavy arrows an issue. That's where your stumping sessions teaches you what's what.  Just yesterday I was having a play at a tad over 50 yards. A couple of shots to work out the drop, and it was no real problem to put the next few arrows into or awful close to a gallon milk jug. Not hunting ranges I know, but what I think I'm trying to say is, with proper practice, knowing your arrow's trajectory becomes pretty much automatic.

Other than when I was recovering from some shoulder surgery (not bow related) that 75lb Blackwidow has been my most used bow by far. Like you I use it for everything, from targets to stumps, from bunnys to buffalo. I love it and usually shoot it pretty well. 

One day, if I'm fortunate enough to have been around as long as some of the awesome older guys here, like Charlie Lamb or Ron LaClair, no doubt I'll not be as strong as I once was, and reducing my bow weight will be necessary. Until then though, I'll keep using my heavy bow.

If you like the heavier weights and can shoot them well, absolutely stick with it. Get your 75lb'er, and you cannot go wrong with a bow from Big Jim.

Best
Lex
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:42:12 PM by A Lex »
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Bisch

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 11:28:32 PM »
I am a firm believer that a guy should shoot the most draw weight he can shoot accurately for hunting. Target shooting is a different game altogether, and it don’t matter!

For me, that is 50#. I’d love to hunt with 55 or 60 because I know heavier at the same speed is better, and I can shoot them once or twice pretty good. But after that I go all to heck, and under pressure I go all to heck, so I stick with my 50#, and keep on keeping on.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 12:12:09 AM »
I am a firm believer that a guy should shoot the most draw weight he can shoot accurately for hunting. Target shooting is a different game altogether, and it don’t matter!

For me, that is 50#. I’d love to hunt with 55 or 60 because I know heavier at the same speed is better, and I can shoot them once or twice pretty good. But after that I go all to heck, and under pressure I go all to heck, so I stick with my 50#, and keep on keeping on.

Bisch

What he said and almost the exact poundage. I punch foam and I can see the difference in accuracy with a 50 ish pound bow and  a 60 pounder. 
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Lakerat007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 05:45:33 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Lex, and a thanks to everyone who voiced an opinion. If I was asked a year ago, I would have said we owe it to the game we pursue to shoot as heavy of a bow as we can comfortably handle. My answer has changed since I've been having to continually pony up the dough to chase this philosophy. I enjoy shooting and I'm a very routine person that adds up to I shoot everyday atleast afew. Moving up in weight 5lbs at a time is very costly every couple months I could easily go up. That also cheats myself out of ever developing a real feel for a particular bow. I think I am gonna stay at this 72#, and quit chasing weight. As of now believe I'm gonna put in for a 60" 72# mountain monarch. It will be the first custom I've ever had, atleast made for me.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 07:32:34 AM »
I am a firm believer that a guy should shoot the most draw weight he can shoot accurately for hunting. Target shooting
What he said and almost the exact poundage. I punch foam and I can see the difference in accuracy with a 50 ish pound bow and  a 60 pounder.

Yes that's true for some people but for me I'm more accurate with a 60 pound bow then I am a 50 pound bow you have to understand that everyone is not the same.  Some people simply shoot better with a heavier bow for several reasons which I and MANY have mentioned a thousand times on here in the last 15 years..... again everyone is not the same.

And what I'm talking about is the difference in performance take a 57 pound bow to Africa and see if they'll let you hunt cape buffalo or elephant or Rhino with it......  :campfire:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Bisch

Heavy bows/ trajectory
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:23 AM »
Terry, not to derail the thread, but how did you get a quote with half of what I wrote and half of what he wrote in one quote that looks like it was all written by me?????

And I don’t think either of us were arguing against a heavy bow. We were both just stating that the 50# area is the heaviest that we can shoot accurately enough to hunt with. I have a friend who has killed water buffalo and Cape buffalo with his recurve.  I was with him last summer when he shot the cape. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen done with a stickbow! I am envious when I see him do these things because I want to also, but don’t possess the strength to do it. I have tried to move up a couple times over the years, and it just does not work for me. Now, with this jacked up neck and left arm, I’m pretty much 100% sure it won’t ever happen for me!

Bisch

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:03:59 AM by Bisch »

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »
Multiquote?
Terry has a 100 pound warbow in the works or already working Bisch!
We are shooting half that (when i dont short draw).
He and you are both hogslaying machines. I don't know what can be a more better testimonial for shooting the poundage you like.
Peace out.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©