3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wal-mark bag style targets  (Read 443 times)

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
Wal-mark bag style targets
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Hey out there.

I have been stuffing burlap bags with wal-mart bags for awhile now.  
What I would really like is a larger more rectangular sack to stuff with wal-mart bags.  

Does anybody know of such a bag that is relatively cheap to acquire (burlap bags $1 at Rural King).
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wal-mark bag style targets
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Get a 100# grain bag at the feed-store. They cost .75 at the Blue Seal by me and work real well.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
Can't anyone out there find a cheaper sack than $.75 ?     :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »
Burlap bags will outlast the plastic feed bags.I have had the seed bags given to me by landscapers that hydro seed.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
You can buy craft burlap for 2.99 a yd. 68 inches wide ....4 ft tall sew together and stuff....I can't find em , Ive tried feed stores , garden centers...you believe how proud they are of them on the internet...  :(
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
I bought 10 from the amish.$1.00 a piece.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
I actually bought a manufactured bag from wally world yrs ago for 25 bucks.When the bag itself got shot up I dropped it in a cardboard box and kept shooting.Sure the box's get shot out after awhile but it's not big deal to come up with another.I've been thinkin of making a frame out of wood then stuffing it with the bag/bag parts and putting a burlap type face on it.

If ya grab a 100# feed bag it won,t end up being the size your lookin for unless ya get 2 and cut them open then stich 2 bags making 1 twice the size.There are larger feed bags which are harder to comee by but their big enuff that a couple adults(consentingLOL) could easily fit inside.To find this size in your area you'd hafta ask feed stores and even then they are hard to find

granted the 25$ bag targets at walmart probably came from China but putting $$ back into the economy helps it and they last pretty much for ever
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
You can get something called a SUPER sack off ****. They are about 10 buck but are actually HUGE. I filled mine about half way. IF you had the time and bags to fill this it would last FOREVER.  BILL

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Tom well said, right now if aint American , I try and pass, our economy needs all the help it can get even bowhunters...try and buy American!!!  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Some of the coffee bags on the auction site ar pretty big. A local dig store had a pile of them and some were twice as big as a 100lb feed sack.

Offline Louutah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Slightly more, but worth it IMO...the "U-Stuff It" plastic bag target....I think I got it from 3Rivers for about $22.00  It has lasted forever, shooting dots on both sides and a velcro seal all the way along one side.  I have left it out in the weather for 3 years and is showing very little wear.
Shrew SS Gold 51#@28
Bear Montana 60#@28

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
I've got a bag target made by Third Hand archery
stuffed with plastic.  
Its 3 yrs old and still in great shape. Its had lots of arrows in it from me and other friends
  Bag targets are great..But would love to find a good BH target!

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
The Ames Pillow target costs around $20.00 dollars and has two target faces(one on each side) stuffed with plastic they last a long time and when the kill zone got shot out I would sew a replacement piece of burlap on it. Worked great.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
It's a little tuff to buy American these days   :(   but even stuff bought at wally world and others helps us as well as them.I have another I bought from Dicks Sporting goods it was maybe 30 not sure in any event I've shot 1000's and 1000's of arrows into each the only thing that really wears out is the face.

A frame made from 2X2's maybe 30" square by 12" deep wrapped in chicken wire(I can't imagine that hurting arrows in anyway)in fron of that about 4" staple a single layer of that feed bag or other sutable target face.Stuff the 30" square with plastic bags or whatever I'd use the stuffing out of the bag I bought....arrows would pull out with 2 fingers and with the space inbetween the stuffing and the face your arrows will go in straight and stay there unlike many bag targets were they hit and fall leaveing them open to   :scared:  

I've seen somebody else discribe a target like I just did and the new ones we have at the shop I shoot out of are very much as discribed only 4' square with somthing they call spider weave ??? on the face.These are purchased targets for an archery shop but look extreamly easy to build

I've been just useing a cardboard box as my face but plan to build something like I just discribed esspesially after seeing the ones that the archery shop purchased

Best BH target I've found to date is the yellow jacket.Cabela's carries them and I got mine from a local archery shop for the same price.It says BH's only but hey I had to try it with FP's   :knothead:    :knothead:  they pull out very hard

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
If you have the means, you can't beat a round bale of hay.  The catch is that it takes a tractor (or pickup) to move it.  I use the paper feed sacks from the cattle cubes to make targets.  You can't hardly shoot enough to wear a 7 ft bale of hay out!  And if you miss something that big, you didn't need that arrow anyhow!

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
I got some old post office mail bags here in the UK and stuffed them with plastic wrap that our paper comes in for printing( sorta like glad wrap) works fine.
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Of coarse most of you don't live where they shear sheep or goats , but the wool sacks they put the clips in are burlap and are huge and the burlap is pretty tight weave and they last a good while. I think they are about $3.00 a piece.  :D    :D    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
I bought a Morrell taget replacement bag at my local archery shop for $15 bucks. It's 25x27x14 Supper Dupper is the name I think.
Used a 1/4 plywood in the bottom and a staple gun to close it up.
Works real well.

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.  There are some I plan on pursuing.

What I am looking for is a way to make beginning archers some targets that I can just give them.  They have to be big enough to stop the wayward arrows of a begginner.
If it is squarish in shape it may be free standing.  

It is light enough to move around easily.

Since I plan on giving them away.  The cheaper the construction the better.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
gotta love those local archery shops   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©