3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: predator, Lee, and Widow??? opinions  (Read 542 times)

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
predator, Lee, and Widow??? opinions
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
benn done too death i know, but wondering if anyone has shot both or all three and their conclusions/recommendations.I'm leaning towards the predator with the Lee 2nd.
I'd be shooting 650gn arrows and am looking at a 60" bow.
i pull 50/52# @ 27"
i've been shooting 68" Hills, so i'm looking for a change ...more portable, easier on the joints etc
I'm in Oz so a hands on test isn't really an option
any recommenadtions as to the bows and length etc?
cheers
b
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: predator, Lee, and Widow??? opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
I've owned all three, Bob lee is a good solid shooter, Predators are very quick, allthough personaly I like a bow with stiffer limbs, Widows are just an all around good bow. Myself it would be between the widow and lee.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Larry..how do you mean when you say "stiffer limbs" and why?
cheers
b
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
I own a BW PSAIII and have shot a Lee and shot many predators.  I like Larry like the stiffer limbs.  The Lee I shot seemed to very soft limbs which would send a prolonged slight reverberation through the bow after the shot.  The predators are a great value for the money and shoot very simular to the Widow. Funny how everything is compared to a Widow. Wonder why that is?  Get the widow and you'll never second guess yourself.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
I have owned a 60lb Bob Lee bow and found it to be a quick and smooth shooter. I have also owned a Black Widow 68lb and it was the quickest bow that I have ever owned. Never tried a Predator so I cannot comment on one. If money was an issue I would chose the Bob Lee, if Money was not an issue I would chose a Black Widow. In fact, I have been thinking about selling some of my bows and buying another Black Widow.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
interesting...I didn't notice the softness of the limbs on any of the Lee's I've had, but definetly did on the predator...

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I could go into a lengthy explaination but here it is in the short:  I have owned all three.  I only own one now and it is a Widow.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Not to rob your thread but are the widows quieter than the others? I like Bob Lee bow but think they are a little on the noisy side, that is compared to my Hills.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
I feel the best bow for the dollar is a Lee.
You can pic one up for not alot of money.
     mike

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
for your 27" draw, I'd opt for the new short rised Lee in a 56" T/D model!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
Although I've never shot a Lee, I do own and shoot Widows and Predators. In my opinion, Widows are the bow that all other are measured against. Bought my first one in 1997 and I've bought and sold a dozen more since then. For the money I've yet to find a bow that shoots like the Pittsley Predators, lately it's become my "go to" bow. The thing about the Predator is either you love em or you hate em. The grip isn't for everybody. I happen to "love em" and if I had to keep just one bow it would be my Predator.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Willow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
I dont have a predator or black widow, but I have a lee with longbow and recurve limbs. They are great. The longbow is silent. I havent touched the recurve yet. What I like about the bob lee is how solid it is. The limb bolts are two per side, so you dont have to worry about messing up and not aligning everything. I guess im paranoid, but I like to know that a bow pulling lot of weight wont blow up. I feel thats important since I shoot it a lot. Do yourself a favor and buy a used bob lee. You can pick a takedown recurve up for a 350 ish. Much better then a black widow price.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
Yellow Dog....how do you find the Predator with heavy arrows? whats your set up?
cheers
ben
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
I have owned a Widow and a Bob Lee, and recently shot a Predator.  Like some have said above, buy the widow and don't look back.  The Bob Lee was 2nd in my opinion and the Predator's grip was just to big and blocky for me.  JMO
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »

Ben--I'm shooting 550gr 2117's out of my "go to" Predator. With my 60" Zebra Wood limbs 49@30 I'm getting 172fps. With my 62" Zebra Wood limbs 47@30 I'm getting 170fps. I've played around with carbons and been in the 195 to 200fps range but I'm a aluminum guy. Like I said before the biggest thing about a Predator is the grip, either you love it or you hate it, I like it and for the money it's a great bow. You need to shoot one to make a decision, they are fast, smooth and quiet. Like I said if I had to go to one bow it would be a Pittsley Predator.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
I own a Predator too and have shot Widows.  I haven't had the pleasure of shooting a Lee.  Like Yellow Dog  said either you like the Predator grip or not.  I never had a problem with it and switch between several bows depending on my likes that day.  Also like Yellow Dog if someone put a gun to my head and told me to choose I'd pick the Predator.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
My only experience is with the Black Widow, and I really liked it.

But, I haven't yet bought a bow that I didn't like, and that wouldn't shoot well, and that wasn't deadly.

So, Southern Ben, your two options, as I see them, would be to either buy the bow that you like the looks of best, knowing it'll be awesome, or, and better still, buy all three of them!

Cheers,

Northern Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I have shot and owned all three, the Predator is the quickest of the three and th Lee is probably the best, for price and shootabilty and the Widow has some of each and holds its value real well, but not real quiet and not a smoker by any means. I would go with the wiodw or Lee. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
hey Mr. Kleinig...stop encourageing me....
Shawn..i'm down to two, the Lee and the predator. Just can't cop the $900 for the Widow. i'll ring Lee and see what they have in stock.what model did you have? I'd be looking at the classic/...nuthin' to fancy.
cheers
ben
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
From a looks standpoint, I really like the predator with the Lee being second and the Widow being a very distant last.
BD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©