3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Man Law - Morrison ILF  (Read 239 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Man Law - Morrison ILF
« on: March 22, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Morrison ILF Riser Bow

I received my Morrison ILF Riser yesterday and got to play with it today. Far, far from set up properly yet, but... I think I'm in love! I've never seen a bow so easy and forgiving. The riser is 16", which to my knowledge makes it the shortest ILF trad riser available... the Trad Tech Titan is 17" and the Pinnacle is 19". I put a pair of low weight Olympic KAP recurve limbs on it. They are rated for 66" bow and 36# on a 25" riser. The math to figure out where you will end up with these differing risers and limbs can drive you nuts, and is further complicated in my case by a 3" short draw. Anyway, I was shooting for a medium short recurve at about 38#. I ended up with a 56" bow that pulls exactly 37#. I can adjust it down about another 4#. I have to make a correct string for it... brace is supposed to be 7" and I'm shooting it at 5" with an "I found it in the drawer, let's use it right now..." string. No nock yet. Now, here's the thing. With incorrect brace height and no nock, I took it out with five sets of arrows... two different weights of aluminum (1716 and 1820), two different carbon arrows, and my heavy woods. Some were vaned, some feathered. I nocked the arrows by the "Yeah, that looks about right" system.  This stupid bow doesn't realize it's supposed care! Here are a couple of pics... one closeup of the bow and one of all sixteen arrows, shot from 18 yards... off of a hair rest:

Still needs lots of specific tuning, but I like this riser/limb combination and shot it quite a bit with, so far, no shoulder pain, and that's what I'm looking for.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Man Law - Morrison ILF
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
Nice shooting and sweet riser.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
Dick,..you keep playing around with this ILF stuff no telling where it will lead.You will be hooked brother.You could wind up with a dozen pair of limbs,three or four risers,and even possibly an elevated rest and plunger.Just be careful my friend.

Beautiful bow,I've been thinking about one myself.

Offline Craig/FL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Thats a real handsome riser and some impressive shooting, I'm really enjoying this ILF stuff myself...Craig

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
I knew by your replies in my ILF thread a couple weeks ago that you were going to spring for that NEW Morrison ILF riser. Your interest in this ILF stuff reminded me too much of.... well... ME! They are nice, huh?  My biggest problem now is when I go out to shoot I have to decide which bow to pick up. Will it be the Morrison, the DAS, the Titan, the WARf, or the Hoyt?  lol lol lol

Good luck to you Dick.  I can see you're having a ball with the new toys. You're not caught up in that ILF "Craze" that doesn't exist are you?

lol lol lol

JC

Offline MRD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Nice bow, and nice shooting.  I am in love with mine, too.  Most forgiving bow I have shot.  Not to put this in your mind, but Bob is now making longbow limbs that will fit the riser.  Foam core, carbon back, glass belly.  He says they shoot even better than the recurve limbs.  I'm anxiously awaiting mine    :D

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
There must be alot of cranky, jelous Hill longbows at your place!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
re the Morrison riser, I lucked out.  I was prowling that place, coded to "new listings", and someone actually listed the Morrison riser with a "Buy Now" option... I mean the listing appeared as i was there watching....  I about broke my typing finger activating the option and got it for 2/3 the new price.  

As far as limbs and risers go... 3 risers and three sets of limbs (2 recurve, 1 longbow).  After i shoot a bit, I'll probably add one more set of limbs... probably a set of carbon recurve limbs.

Most of the heavy Hills have moved on to pleased new owners who can draw them.  A few more will need to, but a few treasured friends at 45# and under are sticking around and being shot.  The ones that have moved on will fund a new Longbowman's Choice at 38#

Dick
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
I saw that riser and the first thing I thought was "that is going to make someone quite happy, especially at the the "BIN" price they were asking.

Good for you.

Lenny

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:54:00 AM »
Dick, Sweet looking bow there!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
Good for you Dick! Enjoy! You have made alot of folks happy with their new[previously owned by Dick}Hills. So you really deserve this for sure!"What goes around comes around!" Congrats!Are you sure you don't have a Badger layin' around!!??

Offline Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
Gorgeous bow!

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
DICK:Is that Bob's (HERITAGE WALNUT RISER)????
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
let's see...   first, Dean... don't know about the Heritage part, but it's a beautiful hunk of walnut, alright.   I've always admired walnut, since making gun stocks years ago.   It's not as flashy as the bubinga and cocobolo and stuff, but to me, it's real pretty.

Bentpole...  nope, no more Badgers... a Wild Boar and a couple of others, then I need to start on the non-Hills... Widow, Berry, Great Plains.  Haven't really done my sorting there yet.

Today I have to set up tooling and make 75 plastic quilt templates for the quilting ladies, then I can make a new string for the Morrison.   Hope I'll be able to shoot today.  I handled some raw lumber day before yesterday and put a deep sliver in my hand.  Think I got it all out, but it's obviously infected this morning, so I have to deal with that.
Dick in Seattle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©