3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: This has prob been discussed but tell me something bout longbows  (Read 4670 times)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I started out in 1970 with a bow my dad made. From there a longbow was used I don’t know who made but it’s gone.
Since than I’ve never been without a recurve but last year I was sick and got a 45lb whip cause I needed something light.
I’ve since traded up weight and I really do love shooting a hybrid I guess you’d call it.
Down the road I’d like to get a traditional style longbow and try that.
Here’s the thing, I don’t full grip my bows, most longbows have straight grips.
Does anyone hold the bow off to one side like you should, or should I say I do/teach most other bows?
And being I prob push most in the throat area, what bows should I look to?
I’m totally satisfied with my whip and have another hybrid on order but traditional longbows intrigue me and I don’t know anything about them.
Any insight would be beneficial.
Thanks
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: This has prob been discussed but tell me something bout longbows
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »
When you say a traditional style longbow do you mean an American semi-longbow (ASL) such as a Hill style longbow?  These have straight handles, for the most part, and shelves that are not cut to center.  My best friends love these, and I have tried to love them, but can’t. In this forum, there is a discussion group going to hundreds of pages on this type of bow.  The problem I have found is that I can switch back and forth between hybrid longbows and recurves, but not between ASL’s and the other two.  It probably is because the shelf on an ASL is not cut to center, so my arrows go off to the left.  I decided I had to pick one or the other, and I picked hybrid longbows and recurves.  Maybe others have had different experience?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »
Yes the Hill style bows are what I’m referring to. You bring up some points I hadn’t considered. I switch around a bit too and I don’t want anything drastically different as far as aiming.
I mainly shoot instinctive but I’ll gap shoot for fun on occasion. Shooting to the side may screw me up.
Thank you
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:22:07 PM »
The grip will tell you how to hold it, don't try to fight it. And if you aim the arrow and not the bow, left/right alignment shouldn't be a problem. Go to YouTube and watch Jim Ploens video "Aligning the Arrow". Jim was 1968 world barebow champ and knows a thing or two about shooting and bow design.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
Well, Toelke makes a D shaped bow, why not go with one of those! You already know the quality of Dan's bows!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »
If I understand what you are saying as to how you grip the bow, then don't get a straight grip or slight dish ASL. They should be held and shot in one general fashion, you grip them any other way and you will be disappointed in how they shoot. Maybe a locator grip ASL would work but seems to me you need to stick with the hybrid the way you are describing your particular grip. JMHO

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »
Yes Jack I think I came to the same conclusion. I never heel a bow. Maybe it is best I stay where I’m at.
Thanks for your help guys
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 04:50:47 PM »

For the serious bowhunter, the longbow will bring him to this style or else he will discard it with a curse, and a vow never to touch it again.
John Schulz

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 08:46:26 AM »
You should heel an ASL or they won’t shoot right if Its not custom made for your style.

Offline Dave Rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 08:05:57 PM »
Low wrist firm longbow grip vs high wrist recurve grip is a very different feel and change in sight picture. That said, I've shot with many people who can move between those two styles of grips and adjust quickly. YMMV.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 08:25:20 PM »
Grip doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. I’m not fisting any bow. Little of my hand comes in contact. Just the way I teach/shoot. I haven’t shot these style bows since I was a kid. Not looking to change anything, especially hand position which leads to so many issues, hence the straight grip arm guard guys. That I’m not dong. Think I’m gonna stay w the hybrids.
Thank you though guys, appreciate it
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »
Ok guys so update. I’ve gotten a Robertson Primal longbow. The grip isn’t exactly like some longbows as it’s got a little dish but I’m able to shoot it well the way I like.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 03:25:27 PM »
Is this what your referring to as how you hold the bow

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »
[attachment=1
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

pavan

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
" hold the bow off to one side like you should"  That is a bit of a limiting approach.  The Robertsons are fine bows, the above center dish will meld to your hand without your hand trying to tell the bow what to do.  I am not sure what, 'hold the bow off to one side' is or why one should do that.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »
This grip on my Fred Anderson Skookum classic feels great and the bow is not a hybrid.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 04:38:42 PM »
" hold the bow off to one side like you should"  That is a bit of a limiting approach.  The Robertsons are fine bows, the above center dish will meld to your hand without your hand trying to tell the bow what to do.  I am not sure what, 'hold the bow off to one side' is or why one should do that.
Hold off to the side refers to a natural position and less torque on a bow. I’ve seen Fred Bear and Byram Ferguson doing it I’m not sure if they did/do it everytime.
Kinda pushing w your thumb base maybe is the best way to describe it. Here’s another way, make a stop sign w hand, drop your fingertips onto the bow back. Two fingers on or around, two are to the side. It puts your wrist/forearm to the side and even w this bow which is more of a standard grip and within brace height specs I need to arm guard.
That imo is why you shouldn’t heel bow. Do what you like guys, only explaining what I do and teach.
The bottom line is the bow and the grip which worried me is no issue but it does carry a slight “locator” type grip.
The other thing that worried me was the coating. Again only my way of but a bow Imo should settle into the same place each time. You can do that with a looser grip. You don’t hold the bow, you push it. This sliding in of sorts causes it to find the same spot each time since no resistance by you means it’s going naturally to a point of least resistance.
It’s wearing a beaver tail coating and I was afraid it’d hinder me or be too large. I’m pleasantly surprised it’s no issue and I plan as of now to use this bow opening morn
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »
This grip on my Fred Anderson Skookum classic feels great and the bow is not a hybrid.
The grip looks similar to this
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
Thought I saw Byram doing a similar grip to what I described but I can’t find pic. To be honest I’m not a “celebrity” chaser. I don’t care what guys do,  nor do I follow any man,  only trying to explain grip.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

pavan

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 12:32:52 AM »
Healing the bow, using a low cross grip that contacts at the base of the thumb, to full out straight wrist and the bow in the index finger to thumb web, and planting the bow clear out on the thumb pad, (which I am not to sure about because of the lack of firm contact).  I have seen people going way off the side which can cause torque with some bows.  I have seen a number of guys here that went from recurves to longbows.  At first they try to stick with their original straight arm/straight wrist high wrist, but then down the road a few weeks to a few months, they start melding to the bow a little here and a little there, before you know it, they are looking more like Howard Hill.  Not trying be critical in any way, I just was a bit confused by the terminology.  Having experience with a number of Robertson longbows, you can tell when you are doing what the bow likes, because the bow does nothing at the release, other than make the arrow fly nice.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:43:07 AM by pavan »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©