Author Topic: Huntsman Glue  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
Huntsman Glue
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:24:37 PM »
Hey everyone,
Been a long time since I've been on here, but I've been (unsuccessfully) building bows here of late. It seems that I'm having delamination issues that I've never had before using the exact same processes before.
So, I decided to go a different route in my glue-up, so I purchased a quart of Huntsman adhesives. I don't know what is happening but I figured trying a new adhesive couldn't hurt anymore than what I'm currently doing.  The Huntsman is different in that it is a lot more runny than my previous glue, so application, to my understanding, is with a roller, but my question is regarding the cure time. I can't find any info online about oven times (It just lists best temperatures for a hot box), or, if it will cure within 24 hours at room temperature like the usual adhesive.

Does anyone have any experience with this adhesive and can you give me any direction in how you have cured with it?

Offline EvilDogBeast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Huntsman Glue
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 02:17:31 AM »
It appears Huntsman makes a few different types of adhesive, what kind do you have?  I found technical data sheets for all of their epoxies so I can point you in the right direction once I have the model number.

Shredd

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 10:31:22 AM »
 Unless there is something wrong with the adhesive...  I would double check your methods...  Sometimes we can have subtle changes in our technique without knowing it...

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
Is that the stuff that rosewood is selling?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:15:43 PM »
I'll have to look at it when I get back to work shop to see the model numbers, but, yes, I bought it from Mike at Rosewood.

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »
It appears Huntsman makes a few different types of adhesive, what kind do you have?  I found technical data sheets for all of their epoxies so I can point you in the right direction once I have the model number.

I found the model number. It is TDR 1100-11.

Offline EvilDogBeast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 05:40:55 AM »
Looks like 24 hours @ 77° / 60 mins @ 140° / 15 mins @ 212°.

Here is a link to one of the data sheets, but I've seen 2 more and they were all the same.

http://www.maxepoxi.com.br/pdf/adesivos_sortimento_usa.pdf

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:27:16 PM »
Thanks, man!!

Offline EvilDogBeast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 05:40:01 AM »
No worries.  Let me know how it works out!

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 01:21:49 AM »
I have been casting a casual eye over the huntsman epoxy too as my self, and several other bowyers over here have been having same issues with de- laminating also. Absolutely nothing different in our lay ups and Smooth on didn't want to comment in any way when I contacted them other than to say after few weeks " matter resolved" I would rather stay with their product but the apparent fickleness of the epoxy has me very apprehensive.Before past year, had zero problems in years of building, same as my buddies.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©